55grain Nosler BT loads. 243win

DakotaBoy

I could use some help fellas, I have been using the federal premium loads for my R25. I can't find the loads on the shelf, so picked up the bullets, just wondering if anyone knows what powder Federal used in the factory ammo! And how much.
If not, looking for what works for others with the Nosler 55bt For 243win.

I doubt that you could reproduce powder the same as Factory rounds. I have had good luck with W760 and 55 Nos BT's. I wont post the exact weight but If you start at the bottom and work up you will prolly get good results. My Nosler manual says 46.0 low to 50.0 gr High. I am at near the top of the load reccomendations and am happy. Good luck.

49g W760 OR 49g H414, 55g NBT bullet, spits em out at 3886 in my 22" sporter bbl & accurate. This is close to the win factory load w/the 55g combined tech coated bullet @ 3910 fps in a 24" bbl..

In an otherwise very accurate rifle which usually shoots 105
A-Max's into 1/4" groups and 70 MK's often the same, I cannot
come up with an accurate load for the 55gr Noslers. What are
you guys getting good accuracy using for OAL?

I always go with H4895 a max load gets me a hair over 4,000 fps and not one hole groups but sub MOA thats in a 24" bolt action though!!!

Originally Posted By: DannoBoone What are
you guys getting good accuracy using for OAL?
My col is 2.600" w/ the 58gVM & 2.500" w/the 55g NBT in my Savage.

Definitely stay with 2.590 to 2.600" or so. Those little varmint bullets shoot much better with the jump, probably because you're not getting enough neck tension with a shallow seat...

Federal uses a BOATLOAD of what appears to be W760 or H414 (same powder) in their .243 ammo.

While the factory's powder may not be the exact burn rate of what you get off the shelf, it won't be far off (this I have found in the cases where I've "sleuthed" factory load recipes). Factories do blend powders--but not different kinds of powders! They blend different lots of the SAME powder to get the burn rate uniform for a couple or three different batches (lots) of... 760, for instance.
smile.gif

This all said, of course don't just jump to the conclusion that you can put "X" amount of 760 in there and run with it. I'm sure you plan to work up from trusted published data. I would say 760 (or 414) would do the job nicely for you.

Dan

Originally Posted By: dan newberry
Factories do blend powders--but not different kinds of powders! They blend different lots of the SAME powder to get the burn rate uniform for a couple or three different batches (lots) of... 760, for instance.
smile.gif

Dan

That is a popular rumor, but it is not true.

Cartridge manufacturers test shipments for relative burning speeds and adjust loading machines for what they received.

Powder manufacturers blend powders to make "canister grade" powders that we shoot.

"IF" you are a licensed ammunition manufacturer, you can buy bulk powders (really cheap), but you must grade the burning speed yourself to load it.

Catshooter,

You're probably honestly right. I don't have any certain confirmation that factories blend powders... I guess it's one of those things that you hear it so long, you just sort of start to buy into it. :

I was simply giving the "rumor" the benefit of the doubt, and finding some possible way that it may have gotten started. I have heard that same powder-differnt lot batches are blended to get a uniform burn rate for the whole batch.

One thing is for sure, it would seem that blending different powders would simply not work in a large scale operation. Powders have been blended by handloaders over the years, where "X" amount of this powder and "Y" amount of that powder are measured equally on a cartridge by cartridge basis. But powders that are different wouldn't stay in a uniform composition in a single batch; the loads would vary greatly as to the percent of each, so we can at least know that two different powders are not being mixed.

I think about where all the raisins go in a box of raisin bran.
smile.gif

While this paper is a bit more technical than I can fully digest, it does seem to bode against powders of different compositions staying mixed in equal percentages...
http://www.indicizer.com/files/SolidsMixingBlending.pdf

Dan

Originally Posted By: dan newberryCatshooter,

You're probably honestly right. I don't have any certain confirmation that factories blend powders... I guess it's one of those things that you hear it so long, you just sort of start to buy into it. :

I was simply giving the "rumor" the benefit of the doubt, and finding some possible way that it may have gotten started. I have heard that same powder-differnt lot batches are blended to get a uniform burn rate for the whole batch.

One thing is for sure, it would seem that blending different powders would simply not work in a large scale operation. Powders have been blended by handloaders over the years, where "X" amount of this powder and "Y" amount of that powder are measured equally on a cartridge by cartridge basis. But powders that are different wouldn't stay in a uniform composition in a single batch; the loads would vary greatly as to the percent of each, so we can at least know that two different powders are not being mixed.

I think about where all the raisins go in a box of raisin bran.
smile.gif

While this paper is a bit more technical than I can fully digest, it does seem to bode against powders of different compositions staying mixed in equal percentages...
http://www.indicizer.com/files/SolidsMixingBlending.pdf

Dan

I have blended powders and I am still using what is left of S&P #7 (Salt & Pepper #7) which started as a 300 pound batch made for a group of benchrest shooters.

Other than that, (which was a special case) it is generally not worth it and you do have to know what you are doing and have a pressure gun to keep track of it. (I am a commercial loader and have a pressure gun...
... I "hope" I know what I am doing
lol.gif
).

I couldnt get 55gr noslers to shoot in my r25, they work very well in my other .243's. I had to go up to 75gr hp to get it to shoot well.

Back