Bagged a big male

Yellowhammer

Staff member
I've been trying very hard to tag a good buck this year, but so far nothing has come my way except for small ones. Anyway, the other day I saw a big coyote cross within about 20 yards of my stand the other day. I had only been in the stand for 15 min. (it was 2:45 p.pm) and didn't want to screw up my deer hunt or fool with a coyote in the dark after getting down. I thought I would just come back after season and try to call him up.

This morning, same stand, and nothing but a couple of small bucks, a doe and a couple of fawns had came by. About 5 minutes after the last buck had walked away, some deer starting blowing that I could not see. I'm thinking "I know they can't see me or smell me since I'm down wind. What's going on?" Not 10 minutes later, this big coyote materializes 35 yards from me. He is facing me, but turns to look back. That's when I raise the 'ol .270 and drill him right in the chest. It was 10:30 a.m. I sat almost another hour to see if anything else is around and decide to go see what the damage is. To my surprise, the bullet did not even exit, and only a small entrance wound.

I thought he was pretty hefty, and thought "gotta be 40 pounds". Turns out he was 34 pounds, and I skinned him out. I don't think this was the same one from the other day, because this one seemed darker than the other one. I have been hearing them in the mornings on occasion, so I can't wait to get after them with the calls. Now if I could just bag that big buck.

Back