HTRN scores on hogs

the impactzone

first blood with the HTRN and MX160 took the nephew out last night and we got into some hogs at about 50 yards, turned the scope down to 2.5x and he shot 4 hogs with the suppressed 223 dropping 3 of them DRT the last one was 20 yards away not knowing where the shots where coming from it ran towards us,,,, he wont do that again. He shot another one later on at 120 yards scope turned up to 6x

anyway great system thanks Kevin

nice job..what scope base is that? I tried the lt104 from larue and dont need a stock extender...but i think the lt 139 is the way to go..

waiting on my 308 can now for my 243 then life will be good for me and bad for the hogs & coyotes.

Skypup a can is almost as big a game changer as NV on hogs

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOkay, I know I gotta get one...

Thom,

You have no idea how much a can will help!

I am sure that when IZ says they don't know where it is coming from he is correct!

Get your can on!

IZ,

Great job on the hogs!!!!

hunter town arms, kestrel 5.56 pretty quiet shot it next to all the others and can't tell them apart and this one you can take apart and clean. plus it retails for $450. so got to love that part. thread on so no point of impact shift of the zero from can on or off, but it never comes off anymore. the 308can is on the way, getting an adjustable gas block and new barrel for the 243, so life will be complete,,, until something new comes along, LOL

Last edited:

That looks interesing, Phil. I just now checked out their website. Sorry to get off track a bit, but just looking to learn a bit more.

Is it prudent or even desirable to purchase a can, say, for a .308, but use it on anything from .308 on down, even to .223, rimfire etc. Will it work the same for all, or is a can more cartridge specific? If you purchase a can, do you have to use it only on a specified rifle to be legal, or can you move it about from one to another?

I read on the website about having to rotate the baffle when cleaning. How often does it need cleaning, shots through I mean? Is that something you have do very often?

The site also mentioned recoring, and I gathered at some point you will have to exchange or replace something. At what cost? I'm new to this, so if you don't mind, please elaborate a bit.

I like the idea of having a can too, just don't know much about them, how to take care of them, which one to get, what all's involved etc.

Thanks.

OK let me see,

Yes you can shoot a any caliber less than the can is rated for, now some cans will shoot 308 but not 300win mag, and some 22lr cans will shoot the 5.7 and some will not due to the construction of the baffles, alum / stainless steel. Its different from MFG and designs and some are rated for full auto and some for barrels no less the 12.5 inches. You just have to shop around

Yes I see a lot of guys than run 308 cans on 223 and 6.8 and 6mm and for the most part you can’t tell the difference without a machine

So now you have another choice, keep in mind most 308 cans are threaded for 5/8x24 and 223 cans are 1/2x28 so you either have all your barrels and can treaded the same or go with an adapter . the nice thing about the Kestrel is you can change the thread on the can to fit any pattern, such as AK or AR 15 or AR10

cleaning I do mine every 500-1000 rnds the HTA cans will replace the core for you under warranty, just send them in and get replacments, they can not send you extras

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Great info. Thanks.

Man, I'm always wanting something. This forum is killing me. I just got through purchasing a new CZ 527 in .17 Remington, now I want a can!! And that's in addition to a nice Gen 3 scope.

if you are a good boy Santa may bring you one for Christmas 6mm06.
smile.gif
I just ordered a can a few weeks ago. I was going to get one can to fit all but changed my mind at the last minute. I got the AAC M4-2000 coming but it will be a long wait. I read that some cans you are able to disassemble for cleaning and some you can not. you can still clean the others but not as easily I suppose. I don't really know much about them but sooner or later I hope to know much more.

Originally Posted By: Shurshotif you are a good boy Santa may bring you one for Christmas 6mm06.
smile.gif
I just ordered a can a few weeks ago. I was going to get one can to fit all but changed my mind at the last minute. I got the AAC M4-2000 coming but it will be a long wait. I read that some cans you are able to disassemble for cleaning and some you can not. you can still clean the others but not as easily I suppose. I don't really know much about them but sooner or later I hope to know much more.

Rimfire suppressors need cleaning but it's not necessary for centerfire.

IMO if you only use one caliber then I would get the suppressor for that particular setup. However, I went with a 762 can so I can run it on my 6.8 SPC and .223. I may even end up with a larger caliber at some point. The QD flash hider also makes it easy to install and remove and one suppressor does the job. QD flash hiders are way cheaper than individual suppressors.

Last edited:
some I butcher for dog food, (she loves a good chunck fo frozen pig in the summer) , or loins, most I give whole to a friend who gets a bunch of locals and they cut and grind all day, that is if I can get them to him fast enough,

this time of year most end up in the bone yard

Back