how can i tell if there are many coyotes in my area?

Whitetail Hunter

i'm not sure if there are many coyotes around my area, how can i tell? when ever i use a locator call they howl back to me at different areas but i barely ever seen yotes during the day. i hear them howl at my house at night once in a while but don't see too many tracks, is it worth while trying to call them if there ain't many?

You have a huntable population in the area from what you have described. Their home range is variable depending on several factors but they spend more time in parts of their home range. Those places of increased usage should have more scat, tracks, and sightings. Those are the areas to find and hunt. Good luck.

I speak with many ranchers that never see coyotes, however they hear them every night, a Coyote/Predator is usually Nocturnal and uses the cover of darkness, hence the reason most people never see them.

I would suggest calling softly and then patiently waiting, if nothing, repeat 400 yards away, if nothing, repeat 400 yards away.

Only you can answer the question if you have coyotes in your area.................

Best of luck!!

If you have a lot of deer you have a lot of coyotes. They are almost exclusively nocturnal around here except breeding season. Or you bump one out mushroom hunting etc. They will feed on a roadkill during the day.

You need to sit out in the woods a few evenings until dark and do some Barking/Howling to see just how many Coyotes respond or call back and forth to each other,here in Missouri You may hear several answering or calling back and forth to each other at different times in the late evening and at dark thru out the night.The Coyotes usually bark and howl to see where each other are and to group up either for Hunting,Socializing or Mating etc!

You could also drive down to a few different spots and do some Calling to see what's in Your Area also?I like running my trail cameras to see what's on our Farm,Hunting Lease or the Private Farm Ground we have permission to Coyote Hunt on.The trail cameras can run non-stop 24/7 365 days a year and let You know when and where the Predators are and how many You have running around....I can't brag enough about the new trail cameras they have available now a days!

I rarely see a coyote around hear unless its in one of my traps or I call it in.If you hear them howling youve got em.I rarely hear them howl here.

Coyotes are very elusive by nature, in areas where their are even moderate numbers present, you will rarely, if ever see them. I have spent thousands of hours in the woods hunting deer and have only seen 3 in 25 years of deer hunting. It does sound as though you have them in your area and based on my experience I would say that you will be successful calling them, at least into sight, the rest is up to you. Start with a well thought out plan to hunt a fairly large area (5 sq. miles or so) and be persistent....if you call them, they will come.
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck, don't forget to have fun!!

It depends on the area you are in, how much pressure is on them and what their population is. In my area I can see coyotes everyday. I see them from my deck at least once or twice a week. Out driving around I would see a few everyday.
If you are in a rural area of Manitoba you just need to look around. They are there.

I dont see alot on the ranch I'm on. However just because you dont hear them doesent mean they arent there. I sometimes rarley hear them but sometimes they show up. Try changing calling times. If your work allows it, try Daybreak and then later in the morning. Only Coyotes know what they want.

i have already called in 3 or 4 yotes but all in the same place, i'll have to get the others to show themselves lol, thanks for the words of encouragement

Those using trail cams- where do you set them up?? Ridge tops, logging roads ... Other than over bait i e dead animals, bait etc.. Curious how you position your cameras for coyotes scouting???

Field Medic....I have several trail cameras set up and I have gotten pics of Coyotes up by my mineral/salt lick,out in the field edges and even more pic's in the lower bottom fields along the Creek Bed.

You'd be surprised out how many Coyotes will visit areas that the Deer travel and they will even hit the ground Scrapes Deer make in the Fall.Logging Roads are good places to set up a trail camera,Lakes and Pond edges or any natural Springs or water sources will draw in all types of Predators and other Animals.

It's a good idea to set a trail camera a little lower for smaller Animals like Predators/Bobcats,Racoons and such or You can put a stick at the top area behind the camera between it and the tree to tilt it forward and downward towards the ground more to pick up movement from smaller Game,my older Moultrie I-60 Camera has a dial/pin I can screw in or out to tilt the top of the camera down or up higher!

We have several bottom fields that run along a Creek and Spring that gets a lot of Coyote movement and is a hot spot for different wildlife.If You have a Dump or Carcass/Bait pile that's going to be a good area for a trail camera to see how many Predators are in Your area.

To check out several different trail cameras go to www.chasingame.com to read up on many different Cameras,how they perform and the features on them and quality/reliability.

GTO
Great response!! I appreciate it and will definatly put those methods to use... I run the Bushnells and Moultres on my farm.. I'm really liking the Bushnells at the momement.. I've caught a few coyotes on trophy rock sites on the edge of food plots... But very seldom.. Didn't know if there were better areas to survey with the cameras... I agree that for the most part game regardless of the species will travel the same areas.. Especially when scent i.e. scrapes, marking posts come into play... Like the poster I know I have coyotes present our farm 1000 plus acres not including at least 1500 more that doesn't get hunted for predators in the Ozarks but short on sitings... We call plenty of bobcats, hawks, falcons so I know our calls are working but yet to get a dog in our sites... I want to do the homework with the cameras like we do the deer... Just haven't connected as of yet... Definatly will put your advice to work my friend!!!

Back