22mag??

Ernest II

Does anyone have good luck with this caliber in the accuracy deparent? I found really nice looking bolt 22 mag but skeptical about accuracy of these round. The gun is a savage accu trigger bolt action with the skeletonized stock where the forearm does not touch the Harrell.

with the new ammo available for the 22 mag. It has a lot of choices now. My Marlin 925M is quite accurate with plain old CCI40gr HPs.

I bought a Savage 93 on 4-01 sent it back on 4-04. They replaced trigger, bolt assembly and clip. I having problems with it ejecting super x 40 gr JHP. I shot 40 gr defender, 33 gr. V-Max grouping sucked but they ejected fine. However the 40 gr super X rounds, I put 7 shots in a nickel size group at 65 yards. I need to send it back or take it to a gun smith to have them polish the chamber. I hope ths info helps. Based on bullet destruction, and my ability to shoot a weapon, I would not hesitate shooting at a coyote at a 150 yds.

I have not doubt you can shoot a yote at 150 yards with a .22 mag, but that is not a humane way to dispatch a yote. They are tuff. Under a 100 is more like it and probably under 75 for a sure kill.

Like Swift One mentions, my Marlin 925M is very accurate at 100 yds with just about anything. I mainly use Winchester silver box HP.

I have an old Marlin 783 that shoots really well. It's preferred ammo is Win Super-X. I've taken quite a few crows, rabbits, squirrels and Marmots with it. I generally won't take a shot if it's over 100 yards. It just doesn't have much energy left once it's out that far.

Ernest, I have owned four .22 mags over the years (rifles), three of which were Marlins. The last Marlin I had was not consistent, in that sometimes it would group very well, then suddenly it wouldn't. The most consistently accurate one I have owned is the one I have now, a Ruger 77/22 BMVZ.

One thing I have found with the .22 mag., is that accuracy has not been as good as what I would expect from a good .22 long rifle, but it is still good and acceptable. If you measure the .22 mag's accuracy against the long rifle, you most likely will be disappointed, or at least that has been my experience.

Still, I love the Ruger in the .22 mag.

I have owned 4 .22 Mags, all Marlins 782, 783, and I forget the other 2 models...all shot well and while the results were not bench rest quality...all the animals I used them to take died quickly and cleanly. I should get another one...my brother talked me out of the last one I had.....

I have owned 3 22 mag's.They all shot good enough to kill fox cosistantly out to 150 yd.As others have said, they are not going to compete with a real tack driver.All my 22 mag's shot the win. 40 gr. hollow points the best by far.

Originally Posted By: ChannI also have a Marlin 25 MN. Shoots a 1" group @ 100 yds. all day long. Is this rifle still being made? Marlin was taken over by a hedge fund and merged with Remington. They fired all the original Marlin workers as I understand it and because of this all the Rem/Marlins are junk. Bad fit/finish, sights misaligned and all sorts of other problems from what I've read around the boards.

If I was to get another Marlin it would have to be an older pre-Remington one.

I have a Ruger 24" brl all weather laminate stock .22 mag & I love that rimfire rifle. Mine is extremely accurate with cci's tnt's- 30gr vmax & hornadys 30gr vmax. I worked trigger over to less than a pound and had to float stock and clean up inletting to achieve 3/4" groups @ 100 yds. After Dad shot mine he liked the 22mag so much he went down and bought a CZ American which is a great accurate rifle aswell.

My Ruger VMBZ 22 magnum is very accurate with Win 34gr. Supremes and CCI or Hornady V-max. The VMBZ will shoot with any 22LR Ive ever seen. Gary Sitton did an article in Guns and Ammo a few years back on the Ruger VMBZ in 22 magnum and he said with CCI hps it shot .80 for avarage and one cluster went .55. I have other articles on the Ruger 22 magnum and they all shoot 1" or better! I know the Cooper and Anshutz rifles in 22 magnum will do better than that. Can your 22LR hunting rifle shoot like that with hunting ammo? At 100yds? In C.Rodney James book Gun Digest Book of 22 LR the Ruger 22 magnum VMBZ shot one group at 150yds. that went .9!

I have 2 22 mag both rugers both lever action one is still in the box never been shot. The one I use lovers 30 gr v max or winchester 40 gr jhp.

My Ruger VMBZ 22 Mag shoots sub moa 5 shot groups with the right ammo (Remmington). I tried many different ammunition brands and bullet weights before finding the one it shot best. The worst group I got was probably about 2 to 2.5 inches at 100.

Ive still got a bunch of the old Rem Green tips, CCI loading. And they are fast and very very accurate. Last chrono time they went 2,140fps. at 10ft. Crows do not like that round! Most of the time like right now the VMBZ stays sighted in with the Win Supreme 34gr. HP.

Go for a mossberg 640KD chuckster! Aside from custom 22 mags this is the most accurate 22 mag ever made! We're are talking sub moa @100. The only downside is the trigger. Once you are used to the trigger you are good to go!

Last edited:
And if you don't like that, the next best thing is a Henry frontier 22 mag. They shoots almost anything you feed them very accuately. Because of the action they virtually never jam! Scope capable as well. Personally, I would go with the Henry before I went with the 640 KD so you don't have to deal with the magazine. On the Henry you just drop them down the tube

Back