700 blk out bolt vs 700 FB bolt vs 700 223 bolt

SoTex

Does anybody know if the Rem. 700 black out bolt is configured the same as the 700 fireball bolt...and possibly the mag box/follower. I know the 700 FB bolts have the ejector/extractor "clocked" different from the std. 700 223 bolt as to deal with feeding issues with the short cased fb. I would assume the 300 blk out 700 is set up like the FB 700 but would like to hear it from someone that has verified it

Thanks

jeff

Good question Jeff.
Now if I only knew what a 700 Blackout is maybe I could help you.
I really need to get out more.
blush.gif

Jeff,
It's an extraction and ejection issue not feeding.

I can't say for sure but would lay odds that it would have to be the same as the fireball as your dealing essentially with the same case. If they didn't use the same configuration they would have the same ejection problems as the original fireballs. I'll be building one off a 17FB action later this year. I need to get off my butt and order a barrel as I have the reamer and headspace gauge sitting here.

Charlie,
He's talking about the 300 Blackout cartridge which is pretty much the same as the 300 Whisper, fireball necked up to 30cal.

Originally Posted By: SoTexDoes anybody know if the Rem. 700 black out bolt is configured the same as the 700 fireball bolt...and possibly the mag box/follower. I know the 700 FB bolts have the ejector/extractor "clocked" different from the std. 700 223 bolt as to deal with feeding issues with the short cased fb. I would assume the 300 blk out 700 is set up like the FB 700 but would like to hear it from someone that has verified it

Thanks

jeff

Jeff...

Here's the cause of the problem.

With the standard 223 bolt, as the case is withdrawn, as soon as the mouth clears the chamber, the ejector spring starts to push the case to the right.

With the 223, the bolt has to go back a ways, and then when it clears the chamber, the mouth is pushed into the right hand bolt recess cut, so the case is now at an angle. As the bolt comes further back, the mouth gets to the ejection port, and the case is flipped out.

All is good.

With the Fireball, and the same .223 bolt... as the Fireball case clears the chamber, the mouth is pushed into the bolt lug recess, but because the Fireball case is sooooo short, the case is over at a much sharper angle... so much so, that the left side of the case head is clear of the bolt face recess, and can drop out of the bolt and just "Faw down!!"... and lie there on top of the next round or magazine follower
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Remington's solution was to change the angle of the ejector and extractor, so that when the Fireball case clears the chamber, it is pushed up at a higher angle, so the case mouth cannot slid into the bolt lug recess, and so the angle it formes with the bolt face is not as sharp, and the case head cannot slip out of the bolt face recess until the case clears the ejection port...

And it works fine.

I would not build a 300 BLK on a standard .223 bolt face for this reason.

Originally Posted By: Furhunter
Charlie,
He's talking about the 300 Blackout cartridge which is pretty much the same as the 300 Whisper, fireball necked up to 30cal.

The two cartridges are sooooo close, that Redding only makes one die for both - you can buy a 300 Whisper or a 300 BLK, and it is the same die... they just put different names on them, depending on what box they go into.

Originally Posted By: Furhunter
Charlie,

Thanks Darby,,, I've heard the name a couple times but never really paid any attention.
Sounds like a fun little round.

Originally Posted By: DieByTheBowI'd have a Sako extractor put in the bolt.

A Sako extractor does not change anything - it is the ejector, it's location on the bolt face, and the angle that it works in, that is the problem.

J10mm,

I think you are right on this one....I am a little hard headed (okay alot)on trying to force the 17 FB on the 700 action. Cz Is way cool on anything...however it is so much easier for me to hack and hammer on 700's mainly due to the english thread on the action as my lathe won't cut metric threads. I already have (3) 527 CZ's (2)222's and a 221FB I bought to make a 17 FB on and I still don't have a 17 FB yet. I just can't bring myself to pull one apart because they shoot so well. Charlie (Repete) warned me not to shoot a CZ donor. Like I said hard headed....

Just got to thinking about the 700/300 blk out as a donor because they are cheaper/easier to find than an original 700 FB donor....I already tried buying a 700 LVSF 221FB for a donor....and you guessed I shot it first and now can't cut it up. I am really..REALLY close to just building a 17/222 off a plain vanilla 700 223. already have the dies,action,good brass, and no feed/extract issues to worry about.

Jeff

jeff

Back