She put the stink on him and let the stink out (with story)

the impactzone

to tired to give the full story tonight but will say Deidra is a killer, she didn't even let me back her up much less let me know we had one coming in,,,LOL, don't know if it was the fist gut shot that sent it spinning that she followed up with another 6.8 to the shoulder that made is stink so bad but it about had me in dry heaves.

So went down to do some hog and coyote hunting with Deidra, we hit the hog feeders at about 9:pm with the feeders going off every hour till midnight and never saw a hog. At 12:30 I picked her up and we started calling to only have several dry stands. We both where running LS64’s and D740/760 scopes and shooting Barnes TSX bullets hopping for some hog action as we drove from stand to stand scanning with the thermals, only seeing deer, armadillos and rabbits. About the only high point was while walking to a stand I had the mX160 on the helmet and was walking a little fast as I could see,,,,, except for the flower Deidra says I tripped over and did a face plant, almost as good as the one see did over a log the size of a fire hydrant a few weeks back, that kind of lifted her mood a little, LOL

Around 4:30am we head back towards the house determined to get a few more stands before sunrise. I had told her I had a bumper sticker in the glove box for her but she would have to kill a coyote to get it! she didn’t know that it was,, one of Skinny’s “Major League Coyote Hunter” stickers We make a stand in the spot a month ago she had missed a coyote, (before she got her RR Varmint trigger in her AR) standing in the shadows of a large Oak tree with tripods fully extended , I place the call 75 yards up wind of us, we divided the pasture with us overlapping the center and the call her scanning the right side where the last coyote had come in from and me taking the left ½ . I tell her as much as myself now is not the time to get lazy and this could produce.

Started out with some TT cowtip cottontail for about 10 minutes from ½ to ¾ volume then switch to TT coyote decoy dog fight, after about the second bark I hear BOOM,,, WACK! I said that’s a hit as I scan over to her side and see a coyote spinning at about 110 yards,, she shoots again, miss, shoots again and hits solid, down he go’s , (all in about 3.5 seconds), she was putting the stink on him and was not going to let him get away, her first shot hit him in the guts, the second while it was spinning missed and as it stopped to take off before it could get a step she busted him right through both shoulders with the TSX. she starts the giggling, and says “that was perfect,,, he was charging in and when you hit the barks he stopped and gave me the shot. I asked why she didn’t tell me we had one coming in so I could back her up? She says I did, I’m thinking yea right, facing away from me with a good cheek weld you whispered. We keep calling and I’m now watching her cause I see how she is playing, I see her go to the gun, and she is holding the thermal up to her left eye scanning, I’m scanning and see nothing, she says we had another one running in fast, but when she went to the gun she lost him, he must have spotted us and ran right out, as the moon was just coming up and casting a little light on us.

We send the dog out and pick up her coyote, and that thing stunk so bad the dog wanted nothing to do with it! It was her first coyote with her 6.8 and the first she had seen with the LS64 she was pretty excited, so much so she didn’t mind the stink long enough for the picture. She got her bumper sticker, well deserved and we have a trip to new property in a couple of weeks with big hogs and some large cat tracks, maybe a cougar, I told her that if I see that cougar she would know it when I shoot, LOL I think she keyed on that and I will never get another shot at a coyote unless she lets me, LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Geeez Phil, I thought you were going to say that she nailed a skunk or that your pup got sprayed by one?

Nice work Deidra!
tt1.gif

Guess the real deal is that you skunked Impact.....
blush.gif

Nice going Deidra.

Looking forward to the story and details, Phil. Once you get over the dry heaving, get to the keyboard. Currently we're being denied need-to-know information.

Thanks, everyone! It made it worth all the dry stands we had before. You're right Skypup, I skunked him!! Lol. He's really going to get skunked when I set my sights on that cougar! I'm looking so forward to our next venture out. When I get that cougar, it will be my story you'll be reading.😉

Nice story Phil...congratulations Deidera on your kill and bumper sticker ! Will be looking for the cougar story shortly. Kevin

Don't feel bad getting outclassed by a hot shooting lady, Phil.
whistle.gif

I had two coyotes in the sights of my T-50 thermal last night over the remains of the hog offal the Eagles had not consumed and pulled the trigger ready for a double and click.....

Did not chamber a round....
cursing.gif

Ah Wah, maybe next time I can pull a double off....
unsure.gif

Kevin I did play with the HTRN mount on a few hog stands but no shows and the last stand we made it was nice as the stand lasted till the sun was up and I just removed the mx160 and kept calling, that was kind of cool and useful.

skypup,

she didn't outshoot me she cheated! she has been talking to my brother to much, its a conspiracy, they are booth out to get me,,,,, they will dread the day for I have many tricks still in my bag, as a old friend and martial arts teacher told me one day, I have taught you every thing you know,,, but not every thing I know!

Originally Posted By: the impactzoneKevin I did play with the HTRN mount on a few hog stands but no shows and the last stand we made it was nice as the stand lasted till the sun was up and I just removed the mx160 and kept calling, that was kind of cool and useful.

Yes Phil that option becomes very handy if you like to hunt those magical "half hour twilight zones" between dawn and dusk. Back when I hunted a lot during daylight this zone produced the most coyotes for me by far. Unfortunately, it was only a half hour and that wasn't enough action for me. Thus the move to night hunting.....definately produces results for as long as you are willing to forego sleep !!

Kevin
closedeyes.gif

Back