35 Rem. for home defense.

.35rem isn't THAT heavy recoiling, but for close quarters defensive round selection, it's more recoil that I would want. High rate, controllable fire. Doesn't take much to kill somebody from 10-20ft away.

In regards to the superiority of shotguns, I believe in it to a point, but I'm not sure it's as black and white as some would have you think. Look at patterns at 10-20ft from even cylinder bore chokes... Not REALLY gaining that much over a rifle. KO power is there, obviously, and overpenetration is limited a little, but not substantially. My honest preference is that 'no long gun is a good home defensive choice', but that's what my experience has been. I want ONE WEAPON that will meet all of my defensive needs, that's a handgun. Laying in bed asleep, waking up to an intruder at the foot of your bed, even from a big Marine, they'll stop you from shooting them with a longgun before you can process the situation, retrieve your weapon, and land a shot on them. That's a fact.

00buck is like 8-15 .22mags at once. Overpenetration is real. Home defense shotguns should be turkey shot at the largest. I use #6 pheasant loads personally in mine.

A 35 Rem with some pistol bullets outta be a slick home gun.

As for a rifle NOT being a home defense weapon, well, that's silly. I have an AR and 12 Gauge both loaded up. Along with a 44 toting 180 gr XTPs. Know where you are shooting and what's beyond it. That's the number one rule from pellet gun to cannons.

Originally Posted By: Varminterror That's a fact.

No, that's your opinion on a made up hypothetical situation that you assume that there is only one solution to.

Now, as to cutting the rifle down....that's my biggest concern, because to be quite honest, I have not seen a 760 in 35 Rem. in as good a shape as this one is. I originally bought this rifle to rechamber in 35 Whelen Improved, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. So I bought another one that wasn't in as good a shape and rechambered that one, and had it re-blued as well. So now I have two 760's in 35 - one Remington the other Whelen Improved. I will probably end up finding another one that is no where near as good a shape and chop that down for my carbine.

Quote:Laying in bed asleep, waking up to an intruder at the foot of your bed, even from a big Marine, they'll stop you from shooting them with a longgun before you can process the situation, retrieve your weapon, and land a shot on them. That's a fact....Quote: What if I shortened the barrel down to 18" and put a red dot on it (it already has peep sights). It would make an excellent home defense rifle. They are quick handling, pretty light and running the pump is a normal action for me. Not to mention, that 35 cal. takes care of business.....In actuality, they are both opinions, but the first one has a high degree of validity...

Even if you sleep with a handgun under your pillow or a pillow next to your head,,,You will have a very limited degree of chance of coming out on top if the subject is standing over you and you are in a dead sleep...Hopefully, you are not one of those people that functions in a dream state...

The criminal is in a position of usually having the element of surprise on their side, so unless you have set your property up with an 'early warning' system of some sort, you will always be at a disadvantage...

While the potential of an offender 'sneaking' into my house is extremely small, since they would have to have something close to a battering ram to get through the door, if found in that position described in the first quote, hopefully my mind would be my best first choice of defense....

A motion detector on your driveway is pretty handy, even though there will be false alarms from dogs, deer, low flying birds, etc. Gives you time to wake up and see what is coming.

Jack

I've got three dogs so no body's gonna be standing over me.
You guys with Cats may indeed be better off with a handgun under your pillow though.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: RePeteI've got three dogs so no body's gonna be standing over me.
You guys with Cats may indeed be better off with a handgun under your pillow though.
whistle.gif

Now thats funny
lol.gif

Except the only way my dog would wake me up is when the intruder slipped and fell in her pee
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: pahntr760My labs will just lick the intruder to death! LOL

Actually, they would be a good early detection/alert system.

Yea,,, my dogs won't bite anyone either but I guarantee you won't sleep through someone walking in the house.

Honestly, I've never lived anywhere that I needed cameras, alarms, a gun in every room, etc, and wouldn't!

Originally Posted By: Bullmastiff You see, when I say home, I also mean my property, which is just under 10 acres. I am considering a rifle that could take precise shots of 150 yards on in, including inside the house.

Taking "home defense" shots with a rifle, outside the home, up to 150 yards away, on a 10 acre property? Enjoy your stay in prison.

My suggestion would be to stop worrying about what gun is backing up what gun and instead start worrying about gaining enough knowledge to keep yourself out of jail. If you take a shot at someone at 100 yards, no jury on earth and especially one on the left coast is going to buy a self-defense plea. Take a quality firearms home defense course.

Grouse

Grouse,, the OP did say "rural setting" so when he said "outside the home" I'm pretty sure he was thinking more in the lines of a Coyote in the Cow pens or a Fox in the hen house.

BTW,,, eastern OR isn't near as 'down to earth conservative' as say,,, MN
whistle.gif
,,, but it's not near as bad as the west side of the Cascades.

I have had bears and cougars on my property. Two wolves were photographed on a piece of property less than 2 miles from my house last week. A 195 lb. cougar was shot while stalking a bow hunter less than a mile from my place last fall! Meth heads broke into a neighbor's house this last winter. Meth heads broke in and stole alot of tools next door to my parent's house a month ago. I have three boys under the age of 12, and you don't think I'll defend them from two and four legged predators? My intent is a rifle that can be used inside and outside on the farm with the ability to drop a 200 lb. meth head or 300 lb. bear. I will defend what is mine.

Originally Posted By: RePeteGrouse,, the OP did say "rural setting" so when he said "outside the home" I'm pretty sure he was thinking more in the lines of a Coyote in the Cow pens or a Fox in the hen house.

And the title of the OP's thread says "home defense", not "hen house defense". Also, why would he want/need to cut down a rifle barrel to go outside to defend a chicken coop from coyotes?

Beyond the "defend what is mine" tough guy talk, the use of lethal force to defend property (like meth-heads breaking into a tool shed where lives are not being immediately threatened) is a very, very dicey proposition and everything depends on the particular laws in your state. IMO, it is vastly better to know what these state laws allow BEFORE the situation arises rather than finding out afterward.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, just trying to help by pointing out what I think are issues to be aware of.

Grouse

Too much BS in this thread.

Norinco 12ga pump shotgun is a very high quality shot gun, buy one if you don't already have a handy pump 18" shotgun.

Also, handy pistols that your are familiar with will probably be the first thing you grab...hope it has night sights.

I live in a very Rural area. Recently during the middle of the day, a guy pulls up in a Dodge mini van, windows blacked out. He gets out and starts up the steps when I meet him and ask what he is looking for, he responds in a staggering voice that he is looking for the mobil home septic tank finance company. He left the area immediately.

Back