Remington Model 700 SPS in .223

Dixiejack

I am looking at a Remington 700LH SPS in .223. I did a search and didn't find any information, so if this is a repeat, please forgive me.

I would like to get some opinions on this rifle (either LH or RH action) about its out of the box accuracy, opinions from you Predator Masters on how good this rifle is for varmint hunting and range shooting, Your experience with it and what ever upgrades you made. I smoked one over in my LGS and the trigger seemed better than average for a stock trigger. This will probably be my last rifle purchase since I am way over the hill. Also, I am primarily a handgun shooter.

I plan to put a Nikon predator scope on it that I traded some 5.56 ammo for, so that will be the scope I will use. Don't see no plans to put one of my Feckers or Super Target Spots on it.

Any help will be appreciated. I am not new to the game, been shooting varmints from barn rats to yotes for 60 years.

I have a .223 SPS Tactical, with 1:9 twist. Came with a fat barrel. Don't know why it's called a Tact. Anyhow, it shoots 40's thru 69's with amazing accuracy. Always has done it, from the first round out of the barrel. Wish they had a LH one when I bought this one. I use it for F Class and sling shooting prone at our local club comp now. A little tough for the sling, cause it's a RH action and I shoot LH. It always puts the bullet where I point it. It will be a sad day when that barrel goes south.

Tom

I have the left handed SPS in .223. I shot the gun very little as it came out of the box. I didn't care for the trigger at all. It shot decent but not great which I blame mostly on the trigger. A few nights of searching the internet and I had a jewel trigger, HS Precision stock and bottom metal. I'm extremely happy with the accuracy now........I'm using a Leupold 6x18 scope. It is a bit heavy with the varmint barrel but thats just me. For accuracy, its hard to beat the 55 grain Bergers, they just never worked for me well on coyotes...........several splashes. For yotes I use the Nosler's.

Kevin

Dixijack, I bought a rem 700 adl plastic stock in 223 cal with a 24" barrel new in the box from sportsmans wharehouse.
it came with a 4x12 scope, shot it just as came at 75yds
and was terrible. removed the fore end block and adjusted the trigger and added a 6x18 nikon scope it shot very good even with 68gr hornadys.
the rifling twist is 1-12 and I was surprised to see it group well at 160yds. I'm very impressed with the rifle after the minor adjustments. I have shot remingtons since 1949 and always had to remove the fore end block. I'm curious about the new remington 783, it comes with a free floated barrel,clip, and a trigger that is easily adjusted.
the new 783 should shoot right out of the box, maybe!
spike

I own a SPS VS Stainless. Actually ordered a B&C stock and Timney trigger when I brought the rifle home. The stock is the absolute worst I've ever seen and the trigger could only be adusted to 5 lbs.

Want to make is shoot? Change the stock and you'll see a big improvement.

I have the 700 SPS Varmint in .223. 26" Heavy Barrel.
Bedded the factory stock and it tightened up the groups. Came with the X mark trigger, have that down to about 3#. The 12" twist in this particular rifle shoots 60grn bullets "OK" but really shines with my hand loads with 52-55 grn bullets. 1/2 MOA is normal. If it had come from the factory with a 9" twist I would like the rifle more.

The regular SPS has a 12" twist and the Tactical has the 9".

I appreciate all the information you have shared. I am in the process of making a long move this weekend and in the middle of packing all the odds and ends my wife can't live without plus my 2 dogs and her 3 cats.

I'm keeping my laptop handy so when I get a break, I can catch up with your posts. Thanks and look forward to some more experiences and advice.

If you will notice most everyone one here is having to change components on the rifle to make it shoot well. I did notice that you weren't a big rifle shooter so in my opinion I would go with a CZ (single set trigger) 527 or Savage if you want a rifle that shoots good "out of the box". The Tikka's are good rifles too and in my opinion the factory trigger is better than a remington. I'm not disrespecting Remington I own a couple they just seem to be a little touchy.

Quote:The regular SPS has a 12" twist and the Tactical has the 9"...Some of the earlier ones came with a 1/12 barrel...I have one for sale that has a HS tactical stock and it shoots up to 60gr rounds really well...

It's a little too heavy for a carry rifle, but for bench type work, it's one of the better ones..

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleQuote:The regular SPS has a 12" twist and the Tactical has the 9"...Some of the earlier ones came with a 1/12 barrel...I have one for sale that has a HS tactical stock and it shoots up to 60gr rounds really well...

It's a little too heavy for a carry rifle, but for bench type work, it's one of the better ones..

Can't believe you're selling that rifle Bill.
Somebody's gonna get a shooter.

A friend and I have the ADL in 223. his trigger we had to turn an allen screw a half a turn on the trigger for weight. Other than that they will both shoot under an inch at 100yrds mine did so right out of the box.

Both loved 50 grain vmaxes and his would one hole 40 grainers with a grain more powder. Had such good luck we bought a couple more in other calibers. Same story only mine had to drop the trigger weight a quater turn. All have just a shave less than 3lb triggers for hunting.

I plan on buying another this fall in 7mm-08. Buddies shot a couple of 1inch groups at 200 with factory corelokts, Craziest thing I ever saw, I have tried every way in the world to buy it. May have all been flukes but for the money seems to be a great value.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AubreyD.If you will notice most everyone one here is having to change components on the rifle to make it shoot well. I did notice that you weren't a big rifle shooter so in my opinion I would go with a CZ (single set trigger) 527 or Savage if you want a rifle that shoots good "out of the box". The Tikka's are good rifles too and in my opinion the factory trigger is better than a remington. I'm not disrespecting Remington I own a couple they just seem to be a little touchy.

+1

I would look into the Mossberg MVP its chambered in 5.56 and its a tac driver and it takes ar style mags

the rem is a good rifle we use one to shoot P dogs at 300m and beyond

The 700 SPS I'm looking at is 1/12 in the specs on Remington's web site. I like the left hand action and I came by a beaucoup of FMJ 5.56 about 6 months before the panic hit. This was from a friend who sold off all his guns and ammo and before moving into an assisted living home. He got me started into cast bullet shooting 40 years ago. So many more varribles there. Anyway, AubreyD. I used to be into rifles and never had one that I didn't have to "customize." Handguns require a lot of tune up also, I'm not a loyal fan of Remingtons although I have owned several 700 BDL's and a couple of Model 40's. Back to your suggestion, I will look at the one's you mentioned but you never know how one's going to shoot with brand x or Y and 45gr. or 50 gr.
Still got that 700 SPS varmint on my mind.

I've had two SPS's in 223. Both had/have excellent barrels for a factory rifle.
IMO, Remmy still makes as good (or better) barrels as they ever did. It's the cheap plastic stock, cheap finish, and "New and Improved" trigger that are the down side for the SPS.
I knew that going in and changed out most of that stuff on the two I owned, but if you're not interested in tinkering and want a Remmy I'd look to their higher end (BDL VSF etc) models. They cost more, but so do after market parts.

Regardless of brand or model, I wouldn't expect to much out of that bulk FMJ ammo.
Luck

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTDon't know why it's called a Tact.

Cause its black.. Any guns that are black are now "tactical". Might also have to deal with the fact that it is a 20" heavy barrel which apparently a lot of police departments are starting to use.

I own a 700 SPS Tac as well. Factory I shot these groups off a bipod. This is a 5 shot group either off a bipod or the rifle sand bagged under the front sling swivel with some inexpensive ammo (either PMC or American Eagle).

If I sand bagged the rifle under the floor plate and shot the same ammo it shot about MOA @ 100 yards.
I put it in a new B&C stock and that same ammo still shoots MOA but with my own handloads I am getting .5 MOA when I dont have any caffeine in my system. While working loads up I did manage a 3 shot group where all 3 bullets were touching. Hole was so small that my dad laughed and told me that I missed 2 of the 3 shots untill we inspected closer. But I have not replicated that since.

I have a friend that has an SPS in 223 with a 26" 1x12 barrel. I reloaded some 55gr BKs over H4895 and that thing shoots honest to god .25" groups as the norm at 100yds. Now you really have to get into the "zone" when shooting it becasue the trigger is not the best (not the worst either), but it's spooky accurate. The same gun/ load shot a 3.5" group at 501yds a couple years ago. Nice little small clusters at 300yds is not that hard to do. A better trigger would probably make this gun even more spooky...LOL.

Last edited:
Five or six years ago I picked up a NIB 700 ADL in .223 at a local gunshow cheap. I brought it home and mounted a Leupold 3-9X 40 scope on it. I then stuck the scoped rifle back in the box and drove to the range to sight it in. I fired about a dozen rounds through it getting it dialed in, then proceeded to shoot a three shot 100 yard group with it. All three rounds were touching in a nice .25 inch bug hole. As I was adjusting the scope I could tell that this rifle was going to shoot very well. That rifle is the most accurate out of the box rifle I've ever owned. It would shoot under half inch without even trying. The only problem I had with it was that it was so ugly I was embarrased to be seen with it. I let it go when I dumped all my .223 rifles.

I have an SPS varmint and it shoots 40 grain v-max well. I do not recomend floating the barrel on the factory stock. As much as I like the looks and feel of the 700 I have not seen the out of the box and consistant accuracy as I have with the Savages and Tikkas. That is in a number of calibers, not just 223. I have said this before and will say it again, "reloading supplies and ammo is in too short of supply to have to jack around finding a load a rifle will get good to average groups from." A lot of my friends say they won't by another remington and it is easy to understand looking at the finish on some of these rifles.

Back