shooting shot out of a rifled muzzleloader barrel

jrcampbell

recently I got a screamin deal on a pennsylvania long rifle and was wondering about shooting shot out of it. seems to me I read some articles about doing this but can't seem to locate them. any tips, would be awesome to get a gobbler with it. I'll get some pics of it up later. twist is 1-66 if that helps.

Originally Posted By: jrcampbellwhy is that? please explain

Think about it - do shotgun barrels designed for shooting shot loads have rifling in them? There is a reason they don't have rifling and if you do a little thinking and research you'll figure it out.

I've been looking for what I thought I read, may have just remembered what I read wrong. it may have been about smoothbore muzzleloaders but i'm not sure.

ya, so I basically got my guns in the story mixed up. gonna see about getting a smoothbore barrel for it. battery is dead in the camera so pics will have to wait til tomorrow.

If you have a large bore, 58cal would work. Problem is the rifling would spin the shot. I have a smooth bore 58cal trade gun 58cal. I shoot shot or round bore.

[/quote]

Think about it - do shotgun barrels designed for shooting shot loads have rifling in them? There is a reason they don't have rifling and if you do a little thinking and research you'll figure it out. [/quote]

True, rifling will significantly spread the pattern. Would work but only at very short ranges, too short for game use.

If there were a shot capsule you could buy similar to that which CCI uses for their pistol shotshells, that would probably be a different matter. Don

Originally Posted By: DonDIf there were a shot capsule you could buy similar to that which CCI uses for their pistol shotshells, that would probably be a different matter. Don
A sabot cup wouldn't hold much shot but it's along those same lines. Of course you would have to figure out a way to keep the shot in the cup until fired but if you had some laying around and just wanted to blow some powder it might at least give you an idea of what would happen. I use 20 gauge cleaning brushes on my .54 caliber rifle so they are close but I've never actually measured to see how close. Be very careful before you try mixing and matching those though because you don't want to blow up your rifle just playing around.

A shot cup of any type is gonna spin and throw the shot way out too. Another bbl. is what you're looking for to take that smokepole turkey blasting!

Is it legal for you to just shoot a round ball? These projectiles don't damage much meat and you don't have to worry about biting into a piece of shot.

it isn't legal for turkey in the spring. actually with the twist (1-66) it won't shoot anything but a roundball accurately. I'm looking into getting a smoothbore barrel for it.

Back