Older Savage 110 Questions

KS_Dog_Caller

I picked up an "old" (to me anyway) Savage 110 in .270 for $100. It needs some work and I have several questions. A few pics are attached for reference. I've never owned a Savage, nor do I know much about them. Any Advice is appreciated!

1. Is there an easy way to get the age of the rifle? The Serial# on the action is 8691, Serial# on the bolt is 15645.

2. I need a stock and I noticed the barrel is "swollen" around where the flip-up rear sight attaches. Most of the stocks I've found online don't appear to have the the barrel channel inlet for the swollen area. If a stock is labeled as an "early model" should it fit this rifle?

3. It is missing the magazine spring and follower. I've found a replacement, but I've discovered that some of these rifles are "staggered feed" while others are "center feed". Is there an easy way to tell which one I have? I'm assuming it's a staggered feed, which I imagine is more common.

4. There are two screws on the bottom of the safety mechanism that appear to be adjustable and one on the front of the trigger. Any suggestions on what these do?

Thanks in advance for the help, as I know very little about this one.

[img:left][/img]

Last edited:
You definitely have a first series 110. I have one which was rebarreled to .25-06 before I bought it. It is an odd bird. They are great guns, but many of the new parts do not fit. They were redesigned in the early 1960s for easier/cheaper manufacture. On your rifle, the bolts are different and lock into slots milled into the barrel like a Remington 700 . Newer rifles have bolt slots milled into the receiver and barrels can be headspaced by the owner with a couple of tools. There is a cult of Savage barrel-swappers on the newer design (me included).

All early guns were stagger feed. Savage went to center feed because the short, fat magnums would not feed reliably in the stagger feed.The follower and spring for any long action staggerfeed will work. The trigger is definitely odd. The screw on the front adjusts the sear depth. The hidden screws adjust weight and safety engagement. Be sure to check the adjustment of the safety after making trigger adjustments.

These are nice guns, but they are best used as is. The bolt and barrel would both have to be changed to use new style parts. There is info on Savageshooters.com. on the early rifles. Your best bet for a stock is Numrich.

Back