243 Win , ?? What load for not wreckin a fox pelt

I used a 243 during the fur boom of the 70's -mid 80's.I shot alot of fox using sierra 85 gr.match bthp.If you hit them behind the shoulder you get a quarter size exit.The match bullets are tough and dont open up much.I shot 14 fox in two days with 243 hornady 80 gr. fmc and only a pin hole on each side.I had to finish them with my 22 pistol as when I went to pick them up they would get up and run.I only lost one fox down a hole using fmc,but if I hadnt had a 22 I would of had to finish them with the 243.If you hit bone with any 243 round your going to blow up a fox.If your a good shot youl be fine,if your not your stories will sound like the negative 243 stories you hear.Also never shoot a coyote with a full metal case,you will be lucky to find him.

As stated if you must use the .243 try the Barnes copper bullets. They will go thru a fox with little or no expansion. Also the Berger target bullets, NOT the hunting bullets. The target bullets have a ~2x thick jacket and don't expand much. I use them in .243 for penetrating tough pigs and they really stay together. The Barnes only go to 85 grains in copper. Regardless it's big for fox but like you said....only room for one gun.

Last edited:
What twist is your rifling? The faster twist as in 1-8 or even 1-10 will create more of a hole. Created by the rpm's of the bullet when it hits. I am getting a 243 wssm and hope the 1-12 will be kinder to the fur.

Originally Posted By: BrentWinI would try Barnes TTSX 80 gr. They barely expand when they go thru a deer, unless you hit the shoulder bone. If the hydralic shock doesn't blow them apart at the seams, the exit hole shouldn't be too large. That with LV loads should be as fur friendly as you can hope for in a 243.

the TTSX in 80gr doesn't work it dam near rips them in two

Tbone,
slowed down 58 gr to what? Below 2800? I am trying to develop a decent 243 round for Yotes mostly, some fox potentially. I shot a 45 lb yote last winter with a hndy 80 gr fmj at 3000 fps, front entry, 3 in rib exit hole. Dropped after a 50 yd run. Have you tried the 75 gr vmax? Slowed down.
I use this gun for brush hunting at ranges out to 150 yds

Anybody else have experience with reduced velocity 243 loads, for Yotes or fox?

Thx

Originally Posted By: jrnmWhat twist is your rifling? The faster twist as in 1-8 or even 1-10 will create more of a hole. Created by the rpm's of the bullet when it hits. I am getting a 243 wssm and hope the 1-12 will be kinder to the fur.

Lol. No. Bullet RPM has nothing to do with fur damage.

If you are stuck on a 243, then the softest lightest bullet you can get. I do the same thing with my 22-250 for small predators. of course head on shots (bow tie) keeps the bullet in the flesh longer. The lower part of the shoulder has the densest bone for broad side shots.

What about lowering velocity on "heavier" bullets (75-80gr). I may be just wishing, but I'm trying to maintain a little brush-busting potential.

Shawn Heydon form the Randy Anderson coyote vidios shoots a 243 Ackley improved.The coyotes he shoots are usualy drt with only a small hole in small hole out.I just talked to him again and when he is after cats his bullet of choice is the rem. 80 gr.psp.Watch The Truth 6 Randy Anderson vidio and see Shaun shoot 5 coyotes on one stand with 80 gr.psp.all 5 look untouched.I shot alot of fox with 243 in the 70s and 80s and I can tell you that if you use a solid bullet and stay behind the shoulder youl get quarter size exits on fox.Hit bone and you have a mess.I would not use a vmax in 243 on fox.and I wouldnt shoot chest on into a fox with a 243.My record on fox was 14 in 2 days with the 243.All were shot through the lungs and all were in great shape.A lower velocity will just improve fur friendlyness.

What kind of range are you shooting on average? Are you reloading your own? do you want 1 hole or 2 in the pelt? there is a lot factors that come into this poker game. I used to shoot prairie dogs professionally and as a PAC service for ranchers. During the evolution of my time on the dogs we ended up making our own bullets and over the years the bullet evolved as well. I made a roller and took spent 22 casings rolled the lip down filled with special blend of lead and copper. I then rolled the tip down to a 1mm hollow point then I back drilled. So this gives you an idea of how far you can go with it. With all that being said, decide how far you want to go with it. If you just buying over the counter then keep it simple. We were shooting 3-500 rounds a day and out to 1000 yds for 6 yrs. We burned up some powder and left a lot of lead in the desert floor.

I will help if I can...........

Originally Posted By: Body CountI used to shoot prairie dogs professionally and as a PAC service for ranchers.

Can you say "Dream Job?"

Gerbs,

That was definitely a great time. It started out as a 2 hunters burning up ammo and the word got to the ranchers in the area and they started buying us ammo. some ranches had dog towns that were farther than we could see.

we would pull up and kill out to about 150 yds and then move out from there, After about 50-100rnds we would stop and take a break for 20 min or so and they would start popping back up again. After the day was done we'd sleep for a few hrs until the yot's woke us up.

you can visualize the rest.

H*ll of time in life.

J.Mark, thanks for the info, very helpful. Do you think that I could expect similar performance from a Hndy 80gr FMJ? I have seen a lot of different opinions on these bullets, and I have personally only shot one Coyote with them, it was a dead center frontal shot, I evidently hit bone on the way out because the exit hole (out the ribs) was 3 inches. Perhaps it was just an unfortunate shot, i was hoping to do less damage with these loads. I reloaded them to 2800fps. I have a 22-250 that I use for longer range open country shots, I cary the 243 along the wood edges and in semi-heavy cover, most of my shots would be 100-200yds. I am hoping to use this 243 round on fox as well....if one comes in, which is likely due to my close proximity to cover. The coyote that I shot was in standing grassy-brush at about 120yds, looking right at me.

Thanks

Woodstalker, read my post at top of this page,on the 80 gr. hornady fmj. were I shot all those fox in the red river valley, 1971-the mid 80's There were no coyotes,none.So the fmj was a good choice for fox.I only lost one down a hole. Coyotes are a whole other story.If you use fmj you will loose plenty of coyotes,Thier way to tough.I watched ( The truth 111 calling all coyottes today and Randy Anderson using Shauns ackley IM 243 with a rem. 80 gr. psp just polaxes a coyote broadside.I mean DRT.He shows both sides of it and there isnt even a drop of blood,Just a beautiful perfect coyote.That same bullet behind the shoulder on a fox will leave a quarter size exit or less most of the time.Hit bone on a fox with any high speed 22 or 243 bullet and you have a mess.My advice to you if you have coyotes and fox is skip the fmj and use a sp or psp.And dont listen to people who say the 243 is nothing but a fur wrecker.It was all I had then and I made alot of money with it.I am going to load up some rem. 80 psp and for old time sake put some unspoiled fur on the stretcher next season.Hope this helps.

J.Mark, thank you! I will follow your advice and try some of the sp or psp...providing I can find some. Know anyone who wants to buy some 80 fmj, I have 200. Lol j

Originally Posted By: jrnmWhat twist is your rifling? The faster twist as in 1-8 or even 1-10 will create more of a hole. Created by the rpm's of the bullet when it hits. I am getting a 243 wssm and hope the 1-12 will be kinder to the fur.

I use a 22" long bbl, 14 twist on my 243 wssm AR. I shoot strictly 55g Nosler BT factory loads, not sure how fast their going but specs say 4000 fps. I rarely if ever have an exit on coyote, and never had a nasty looking splash. I carry a shotgun with #4 buck for the occasional cat, fox or extra close coyote. Disclaimer: I don't kill many coyotes as compared to most around here.

Back