whats your guys favorite turkey call.

wvyotehunter68

Hey guys whats ur all time favorite turkey call. Mouthcall box slate etc. I like the hs strut raspy hen diaphragm call. So far I think that's the name lol.

I like 'em all! I can run a diaphragm well and usually use the HOOKS brand diaphragm calls. Sound great and an excellent company to order from and converse with.

With that said, I love running friction calls! I admire the quality craftsmenship of a custom call and love the feel of them and the skill and touch it takes to make one sing. I don't have pictures of all my calls but here are a few of my favorites in no particular order...

Tim Bullock of No Bull Custom Calls mineral stained Poplar box with Maple bottom piece and lid. There is an inlay on the lid and box but not sure what woods those are. Absolutely the sweetest running box I've ever owned and stupid simple to master...

photo-5.jpg

Jerry White Cedar with Purpleheart box. Another great sounding box, higher pitched, easy to run and I think quite pretty...

DadsBoxCall.jpg

Andy Kaiser Maple pot with Purpleheart sound board and Glass calling surface. Runs well with a variety of strikers but that Ebony gets the best out of it. I have another of his pots in Brazilion Cherry with a Copper surface that screams turkey. This guy is first class and flat knows how to put a turkey into a call!

KaiserKalls.jpg

Another class act that stuffs a turkey into every call he makes is Wendell Rye of Lights Out Custom Calls. I have three of Wendell's pot calls and a bunch of his strikers. His Slate over Glass is fantastic and can make super sweet soft talk. I have that in a Maple pot and she's purty as can be. I also have one of his Ceramic calls in a Yellowheart pot. Here is his beaded green anodized Aluminum over a Glass sound board in a quarter sawn Black Locust pot with Lemon Lime striker...

P10100233_zpsd3d3cabd.jpg

This spring I am using a Bob Fulcher "fat bottom girl" paddle call in wormy butternut and a 3" Osage orange glass over aluminum pot I call I built.

Originally Posted By: wvyotehunter68Hey guys whats ur all time favorite turkey call. Mouthcall box slate etc. I like the hs strut raspy hen diaphragm call. So far I think that's the name lol.

Leon's!!
thumbup.gif

I cannot use diaphragm mouth calls...they tickle the roof of my mouth way to much to be comfortable for me....
I have a box call that I bought at a gunshow a few years ago made by a local guy that sounds and works great.
My slate call is of the handmade variety as well. It is actual slate with a corncob handle striker. It works great as long as it does not get wet.
I have found that the public places we hunt gets a ton of pressure in the early season and the Gobblers hear a lot of the same sounds and get educated quickly and that my calls do not sound the same as store bought calls and I think that gives me a slight advantage when going after pressured birds.

Back