.243 vs .223 for yotes

nvshooter

ok guys i have been out shopping again. I have ruled out the .223 wssm completly! However i have been checking into the 243 for yote hunting. So what do you guys think is the better choice. i dont reload and i won't be hunting deer. Also how much more recoil does a .243 have. The recoil isn't a problem, just wondering. Thanks Guys!!!

I went with the .243 in a Savage bolt action and the recoil is not bad at all off the bench. In a hunting situation you will not even notice the recoil. The .243 is expensive to feed if you do not reload compared to a .223 round. But the .243 hits harder and bucks the wind beter than a .223.

I've owned both.

The .243 is much more versatile. If you were only going to have one centerfire rifle, the .243 would be the ticket! It did for me for many years; I took everything from groundhogs to black bear with a Ruger M-77.

The .223 is a delight to shoot! It's great on any varmint - groundhogs to coyotes. It has all the energy needed to bring coyotes down NOW at just about any range you might want to shoot. It is now my choice for coyotes in a Remington Model Seven. I'll get something larger (.243 or 7mm-08) for deer and the like.

me!

Even with hotter loads the .243's recoil seems light compared to something like a .308, or 30-06. I save a bit feeding the 700 by reloading, but in the quest to make a better recipie you can easily spend cash. Sierra bullets seem to be a nice combination of quality and decent price.
If I buy a .223 Im not sure if i'd reload for it as the ammo is much less expensive.

NVShooter:

I just put a great little .243 Winchester in the classified ads.. It is an Ithaca LSA-55, made by Tikka. Comes with a 3-12X scope, RCBS Dies and new, unfired brass.. If you want you shoot factory, it shoots the Winchester 100gr. factory load under an inch at 100yds, and the Remington 80gr. Power-lokt HP's into 3/4 to 1 inch at 100 yards.. Contact me if your interested..

Dave

Maybe it's just me but I say buy the .223!

If your not after game larger than a coyote then the .223 to me is the logical choice. It's far less money to shoot. Doesn't kick as much, not as loud. I won't say more accurate but chances are it'll be more accurate using box ammo. While we're talking ammo... your going to have greater choices using a .223 vs a .243. Lastly if you ever decide to begin handloading the .223 is an excellent round to begin with. Handling the wind and figuring range is on the shooter not the rifle, so if you learn your rifle it won't be a factor.
Just my .02,
Blaze

I own and shoot both of these calibers a lot. The .243 Ruger I have has been an excellent accurate rifle for me. I shoot 60 gr Sierra HP, 70 gr, and 80 gr Nosler ballistic tips. I have paced all three bullets within .500" @ 100 yds. I also shoot 65 gr Vmax bullets and have put 3 shots inside 1.100" at 200 yds. All are my reloads but as danurve said, it takes some cash outlay if you really search for those consistent groups that I look for. The recoil in my 7 lb setup is more than tolerable.

My recent acquisition is my first .223 in a Savage 10 FP. Some already said the .223 is a pleasure to shoot and they are correct. I am having a blast looking for sub 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups. I have found several already with 55 gr Noslers but am now on a quest to do the same with 55 gr Vmax bullets and heavier 60 gr plus bullets. This setup has very little felt recoil for me.

I will probably use both of these setups equally as each has it's own advantages. Good luck ...

Welcome to the board. .223 is a better choice if you don't reload as factory loads are available in many different choices. 243 hits harder but more expensive to shoot. I would look at the .223 in your position.

Here in Indiana where coyotes often go close to 50 pounds I would take a .243 over a .223 every time. I own rifles in both calibers and really enjoy just plinking with my .223 as it is a really easy shooting rifle. My .223 caliber rifle is also the most accurrate I own. My .243's recoil a little more but not enough to notice in hunting situations. The extra downrange energy I get from my .243's when shooting 80 grain bullets is very noticeable when compared to a .223 or even a .22-250. If I where shooting nothing larger than fox or bobcats I'd take the .223, but when you throw in coyotes I'll take the .243.

Good hunting y'all..Coyote 6974

I like both. The 243 is definatly a harder hitter at the longer ranges. I have seen two yotes taken with a 223 at 270 and 280yds and both were down for the count after the shot. I have also seen a yote taken with a 243 at 100yds and it was beyond down for the count. Coyote 6974 definatly has some bic dogs in his area- I have seen the pics. But, if you are not reloading, that 223 is going to be the best ticket. With proper shot placement, that yote will go down.

hello, i am not a gun pro by any means,that said i think you need both. the 243/257/25/06 will deliver the longer range killing power the 22 centerfires will not.
i shoot a 223 because its a proven performer
at one time i had a ruger in 257 roberts. not being a reloader at this point the 223 was the most econamical choice for me.the ammo for the 257 was $16-$18 for 20 rounds,i can buy decent 223 for $6-$9 all the time. at times i would like a 24-25 caliber rifle.& plan on getting one soon,but to buy one gun right now get the 223. shoots plenty fast,plenty flat. good luck.....

All the above about reloading factors etc is true but one other consideration is are you going to take fur. If so go with the .223. The .243 is not nearly as forgiving fur wise.

Dave is at least partly right, you need both (and a .17, .204, .22-250, 6mm in varous configurations, 6.5mm ditto, .25-06, .257,.... ahh you get the idea LOL).

Thanks for all the gerat feedback everyone!! Iam going to go with the .243 for the versatility, reach and extra hitting power. The walmart near me has a Savage "package" rifle for $349.88. It comes with scope and a sling. it also has the new Accu Trigger, which i hear nothing but good things about. Thanks again for the info!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BigJeepMan -

My Remington Model Seven in .223 shoots 1/2 MOA groups with factory Remington Express 55 grain PSP's available at WallyWorld. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The combo is probably capable of even better..... This was done from a sandbag rest for the fore end and just shakey ol' me at the other!

me!

Mod%20Seven%20223%20112104.jpg

A .243 will definatly reach out farther but what I'd do is just buy one that will fit your area good. If you're like me where you wont be shootin over 150yd then a .223 would do fine. The .243 would also serve as a deer rifle and a longer range yote rifle. Thats what I'm doin with my cousins .243

Back