6MM Remington what's the good ,bad and ugly on it ?

Windyhill

Found a very nice 1960's rifle in a 6MM Remington ,, have had limited use of any 6 mm rounds ,, read alot on 243 but whats the skinny on the 6MM Rem.?

Originally Posted By: WindyhillFound a very nice 1960's rifle in a 6MM Remington ,, have had limited use of any 6 mm rounds ,, read a lot on 243 but whats the skinny on the 6MM Rem.?

All good, no bad, and pretty as a prom queen!!

It has about 5% more in the ballistics department, a better designed case - and if it weren't for a marketing mistake by Remington, you would have never heard of the 243.

Brass is always available, though you might not find loaded rounds at a small sporting good store.

'smiths building real serious 6mm varmint rifles will usually pick the 6mm Rem over the 243.

No bad all good a little more case capacity than the 243 also a longer case neck which I prefer for long bullets, good brass avalible not Lapua but you can't have everything.

I type way to slow but just like cat said.
I can move a 105 Amax almost as fast with the 6 Rem that I can with my 6x284 I have a 243, 243wssm, 6br also out of all of them my favorite is the 6 Rem

Last edited:
The 6mm is everything the 243 should be. I've got an old remmy 788 that's killed a ton of deer (a couple trophy sized muleys), a several speed goats, and countless yotes and pdogs. The 6mm is incredibly versatile, and has hardly any recoil, easy to load for, great bullet selection, ideal for anything smaller than elk (but I bet it'd be fine on elk too if you get close) If you have a chance to pick up a nice one, do it, no need to thank us. If you don't want it, let us know where you found it, I could use a backup.

I have one in a Ruger M77 tang safety. Great gun and cartride. Works on small and medium critters. Very accurate and fast. I have more kills with this rifle than any other I own. Don't believe any of the negatives written about it.

I packed a 6mm in a Ruger 77R Flatbolt for years. It just don't get any better. As I am on a Cut Back phase I sold it and kept this 660 Remington 6mm as it was given to me by my extended family for 8th grade graduation in 1969.

It has had some modifications. Sort of a Model Seven before there was such a thing.

Dad is ready to sell this 660 6mm that he bought new in 1968.

The 6mm Remington ROCKS!

I'm with Cat, all good, no bad, and definitely not ugly.
I liked the cartridge so much, when I wanted a 6mm/243
something, I chose the 6mm Rem. At the moment, there were
few if any factory rifles being made, so I re-barreled a
decent shooting Savage 16, which was a 22-250 Rem. I have
never regretted that. And a few years later, I won a nice
Howa 1500 Varminter in 22-250 Rem, so I ended up with both
anyway.

Mine shoots 80-100 gr. medium game bullets sub-MOA. It
really likes 80 gr. TTSX, and Sierra 100 gr. PHs. I have had
decent results with 65 gr. V-Max, but I can't seem to find a
load combination for 70 gr. Noslers. That just needs more
work.

Great varmint/predator/medium game rifle. FWIW, I don't own
a 243 Win. because I have a 6mm Rem.
lol.gif

Squeeze

I have to weigh in on this one for sure. I've had a Remington Model 600 in 6mm since the mid 80's. I have killed a ton of deer using factory 100 grain core-lokt ammo.

I have a lot of guns, and the 6mm is my favroite of them all. It is the most flat-shooting, tight grouped, deer killingest gun I have ever owned.

Where I hunt, 175-200 yard running shots are not uncommon. I am confident that my 6mm will bring them down if I fulfill my part of the equation.

Moosetrot

I have a remmy VLS in 6mm and it is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot! I agree if remington would have got the twist right the first time the 243win wouldn't be around today.

I own four 6MM REM rifles of various configurations and have another one on the way. I also own 3 243 Winchester rifles, and if someone said I had to get rid of one 243/6MM cartridge for whatever reason, I'd own 5 6MM REM rifles in the future.

This being the internet, I'm sure before too long someone who owns a 243 Win but not a 6MM REM will come along and tell all of us what's wrong with our logic and our minds.

Purchased a 6mm Rem in a model 700 the first year they made it stainless and have never looked back. Easy to load for. Mine loves most bullets, nowadays I shoot a lot of 65 V-Max for coyotes and pdogs. Over the years it has collected in addition, mule deer, whitetail, rockchucks, antelope.
As a testament to how owners view this round, there aren't many that part with them and there were many made by Remington.

I also have a Ruger 77R in 6MM and it has been a favorite of mine for years, I use mine mainly for groundhogs. I have always thought about getting after coyotes with it. I had a Remington 700V years ago but unfortunately my house was broken into and it was a casualty. I have used mainly IMR-4064 in mine with a 85gr Sierra.

Originally Posted By: joedNothing wrong with the 6mm Remington but it sure seems to be dying out. As to why I haven't a clue.

Huh???

I heard that about the .220 Swift, the 22 Hornet, the 257 Roberts, the 7x57, and a bunch of others... before you were born.

The first rifle I had ever bought was a 6mm, an old tang safety Ruger. It was a great rifle but after many years with me I had the hankerin for something else. I sold it to a member here and replaced it with a Cooper Pheonix in 6mm. I really enjoy the 6mm and don't see myself without one. If you have a chance at a nice one buy it, you won't be disappointed.

I have a 6mm set up for 1200 yards and I love it. I was at the cross roads of 243 or 6mm last fall. I was wanting to build a long range rifle with less recoil and enough poop to kill things way out there. I know there are a lot of guys that use 243's for long range but I really liked the cartridge design and the fact that I could get a 107 grain bullet not to fall transonic until 1300 yards with average loads. So I built a 6mm on a long action with a 26" Douglas match barrel. I sure wish I would have built one years ago, I love the rifle and cartridge and I will never be without one. Since building it I have taken a couple coyotes between 7 and 800 yards. A couple that were right at 500.
I am running a 107 grain sierra match king at 3150 fps with a medium charge of Reloader 22.

Quote...I was at the cross roads of 243 or 6mm last fall.

I'm at those crossroads right now... turn left for the 243...or turn right for the 6mm.

you guys have my right blinker flashing at the moment.

just my opinion since I have had 243 and 6mm since they both became popular. I hate case stretching and both are guilty, I like the improved version of both to eliminate the stretching. I have a 243 imp and a 6mm now, had a 224x 6mm improved that was my favorite. jmtc spike

Back