Best 22-250 ammo for deer

romad97

All I own by means of a rifle is a 22-250. I shot two deer with it last year. 1 went about 10-20 yards and keeled over rather quickly. The other, well I never found her. I was using fusion ammo which I thought grouped pretty well but, I wasn't impressed with construction of the bullet. I bought a box of 60gr federal partitions after I lost my deer. I really wanted to use these bullets but, I could not get a consistent group with them. I am shooting an Icon precision hunter. I believe the barrel is 22" and it has a 1 in 14 twist. I can group 55gr bullets pretty good. I can't find any 55gr partitions though. If I am not able to afford a larger caliber rifle by deer season I really need to find a good hunting bullet. Any suggestions?

go with 64gr winchester power points. the G/F shot herself a pretty nice buck this year. ran 10yrds and piled up stone dead. internals were literally in pcs.

this was from a 22in rem 788 1x14 twist, she groups 3/4-1 inch at 100yrds with them.

I would advise to shoot them center chest when facing you or when broadside I wait for the front leg to be forward and then aim just behind the shoulder.

the 64gr winchester would probably go through the shoulder on 100-150yrd shots but I like to place the shot behind just for good measure.

average range is going to dictate bullet weight/construction...I too have shot deer w/22-250 and wont doubt it a bit w/proper bullet/range/shot placement...pretty much the prerequisites of any caliber/bullet....

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorgo with 64gr winchester power points. the G/F shot herself a pretty nice buck this year. ran 10yrds and piled up stone dead. internals were literally in pcs.

this was from a 22in rem 788 1x14 twist, she groups 3/4-1 inch at 100yrds with them.

I would advise to shoot them center chest when facing you or when broadside I wait for the front leg to be forward and then aim just behind the shoulder.

the 64gr winchester would probably go through the shoulder on 100-150yrd shots but I like to place the shot behind just for good measure.

If the 60gr wouldnt group well what is the theory behind the 64gr being better? Is it a longer bullet?

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorthe 64 is short. its a lead tip. ive shot it out of 2 different 14 twist 22 250 and both with group less than 1moa at 100yrds with them.

Thanks. I will definately buy a box and see how they group. Is the bullet construction pretty solid? Or did they break up into oblivion on impact? Now to actually find some in stock somewhere is another challenge.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorive hear the 60gr nosler partition is hit or miss with a 14 twist. never tried them myself

Yea I can group my 55gr federal BTHP at under an inch pretty consistently. When I tried the 60gr partitions I was all over the place. Couldn't get any consistency whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: RONINFLAGi believe there are .224 tsx bullets made for deer size game, various weights.

Lead free bullets are even longer than lead bullets of the same weight.

The Barnes manual says you need a 1-12" twist or faster for the 53 gr TSX FB and a 1-9" twist or faster for the 62 gr TSX BT.

I have a Sako A7 22-250 with a 14" twist. Buddy of mine wasn't sure if it would handle the 60 gr partition based on the same reasons and experience listed before my post. My rifle did handle the 60 gr partitions. They shot real nice tight groups. I think what someone said earlier about them being hit or miss was right.

Also, I don't believe they make a 55 gr partition. Probably why you can't find them. Hope that helps.

Back