I need a good 6.5mm 140gr hunting bullet.

Kingzero

Putting together a 260. Ive got 200 140gr SMK's for paper and steel, but cant decide on a hunting bullet to try.

Help me out.

I have gotten very good results on deer from Nosler Ballistic Tips in my .257R, And, having tried them at 250yards and been impressed with their accuracy I plan to switch to them permanently. While the .257R and the .260 are not the same they are so close it is a fair comparison. Prior years, I also get great accuracy and success from Sierra Gamekings in the same rifle on deer at 100-150 yards.

Originally Posted By: KingzeroPutting together a 260. Ive got 200 140gr SMK's for paper and steel, but cant decide on a hunting bullet to try.

Help me out.

What game do you plan to hunt?

Originally Posted By: vt coy callerOriginally Posted By: KingzeroPutting together a 260. Ive got 200 140gr SMK's for paper and steel, but cant decide on a hunting bullet to try.

Help me out.

What game do you plan to hunt?

Deer, elk and antelope(if I ever get drawn).

A good bet for all 3 animals is to use a Nosler BT for deer and speed goats and switch to the Accubonds for elk. I have done a lot of load testing with 30 cal and it is same point of impact for BTs as it is for ABs in the same grains, just a difference in retained weight of bullets. Testing through ballistic gel the BT had 67% weight retention and the AB had 82%. Shot at 200 yds.

The only real world info is a 30 cal. 180gr Nos AB at 350yds at 2980 fps mv through the ribs and one shoulder plate of an elk retained 78%. It had good expansion and penetration on a nice bull. The bullet was just under the far side hide.

Last edited:
I am between the A-max and Accubonds. I wish Barnes made the Tipped TSX in a 140.

Im not too worried right now since I didn't get drawn for elk or antelope, but may have an opportunity at a cow elk in New Mexico come December.

Although I will have to test it out on some coyotes when it is done.

Choose both!
thumbup1.gif

Go with the AB for elk and use the A-Max for everything else.

Any of the hunting bullets from Speer, Hornady (Interlock), Sierra (Game Kings and/or Pro Hunter), as well as Nosler Partition in 140 grain will work for you (and every one else).

Buy some, load em', and practice....good hunting!

Originally Posted By: xphunterChoose both!
thumbup1.gif

I started thinking the same. Might go with the 123gr A-max for deer and coyotes and 140gr AB's for elk.

Sierra Gameking will do the job all day long. I use 95 V-Max for varmints and 120 BT for all other deer size game. GameKing 140 for larger critters. If Nosler made a 140 BT I would shoot that as a number one choice.
May you fill your freezer this year.

Originally Posted By: KingzeroOriginally Posted By: xphunterChoose both!
thumbup1.gif

I started thinking the same. Might go with the 123gr A-max for deer and coyotes and 140gr AB's for elk.

I shot this Buck with a 6.5 Creedmore using 123gr Amax... as they say DRT!

Back