Mangey Male Dead In CT

Ledgewoodhunter

Rainy Day Coyote Down

Went out this morning determined to shoot one more coyote before turkey season starts.
I awoke to pouring rain but I had planned for that, so I threw on my rain gear and headed out.
I shot a coyote last year in light rain, and I knew that if the rain let up early enough, I might see one on the move.

Got to this spot at the edge of a field at 4:45 am, the rain was pretty steady with some wind. I sat quietly till the rain stopped at 8:15. By then I was pretty cold because I chose to dress and pack light so I could do some walking later. Did some calling and a liitle while later noticed a female coyote in the tree line to my left looking to my right. I could see her in the scope, but could also see a lot of branches In the way. So I decided to pass hoping she would step into a clear shot. She never stepped out and disappeared out of sight. I was starting to second guess myself for not taking the shot but I knew it was the right call hunting with a .223 today.
So I added her to the hit list on this property.

As I scanned to my right I see an ugly male moving across the field, and he looks like he is searching for something. He is making a B-line for where the female was. I find him in my scope at 250 yds and he stops but his 3/4 hidden behind a small mound of earth, so all I have is the neck up. I send a .223 55 gr V-max through his neck with my Remington 700 mil-spec, and it's lights out for this male!

Turns out I did him a favor. He has mange pretty bad. Tail, belly, ears, are bald and the rest of his coat is a mess. No wonder that female didn't want nothing to do with him. I had to suffer thru some nasty weather but it was worth it!

IMAG0733_zpsa5f4a3d6.jpg

IMAG0734_zps05ee03f9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: LedgewoodhunterRainy Day Coyote Down

Went out this morning determined to shoot one more coyote before turkey season starts.
I awoke to pouring rain but I had planned for that, so I threw on my rain gear and headed out.
I shot a coyote last year in light rain, and I knew that if the rain let up early enough, I might see one on the move.

Got to this spot at the edge of a field at 4:45 am, the rain was pretty steady with some wind. I sat quietly till the rain stopped at 8:15. By then I was pretty cold because I chose to dress and pack light so I could do some walking later. Did some calling and a liitle while later noticed a female coyote in the tree line to my left looking to my right. I could see her in the scope, but could also see a lot of branches In the way. So I decided to pass hoping she would step into a clear shot. She never stepped out and disappeared out of sight. I was starting to second guess myself for not taking the shot but I knew it was the right call hunting with a .223 today.
So I added her to the hit list on this property.

As I scanned to my right I see an ugly male moving across the field, and he looks like he is searching for something. He is making a B-line for where the female was. I find him in my scope at 250 yds and he stops but his 3/4 hidden behind a small mound of earth, so all I have is the neck up. I send a .223 55 gr V-max through his neck with my Remington 700 mil-spec, and it's lights out for this male!

Turns out I did him a favor. He has mange pretty bad. Tail, belly, ears, are bald and the rest of his coat is a mess. No wonder that female didn't want nothing to do with him. I had to suffer thru some nasty weather but it was worth it!

IMAG0733_zpsa5f4a3d6.jpg

IMAG0734_zps05ee03f9.jpg

Good story. I like your remington 700 very nice looking rifle. How does your 700 shoot? How far of a shot did you take the coyote at?

Last edited:
Awesome. I have a Rem.700 with bull barrel in 22/250 with a Leupold 6.5x20x40 that's a tack driver. I still bust on the guy in another form I bought it off.

[/quote]

Good story. I like your remington 700 very nice looking rifle. How does your 700 shoot? How far of a shot did you take the coyote at?[/quote]

If you read the story again, you will see it was a 250 yd shot across the field.

I like this rifle, it is the 5R rifled milspec edition. It shoots well, all it needs is a trigger job. I shot this group Thursday evening when switching the zero from the 55 gr TSX to the 55 gr V-max. Shots 1 to 3 are the sighters with adjustments, then a 5 shot group in less than 3/4" at 100yds. So, aside from the trigger I'm happy with it.

I have it topped with a Leupold mark ar 6.5-18x40 scope with a mildot reticle. I use this gun mainly for cheap practice at the range. But lately I had been running different type and weight hunting bullets through it to see what it likes best. I got a good deal on the Hornadys a few weeks ago which I had already shot through this rifle, so I dialed them in and took this rifle hunting today.

IMAG0736_zps96f84978.jpg

Originally Posted By: wmig2Awesome. I have a Rem.700 with bull barrel in 22/250 with a Leupold 6.5x20x40 that's a tack driver. I still bust on the guy in another form I bought it off.

I hear ya, I have a 1982 Rem 700 BDL in 22/250 with a Leupold fixed 12 power with A.O. I guess back then it was the hot set up.

The guy I bought it from shot six rounds through it when he bought it! It has been a safe queen ever since, and looks brand new inside and out! He doesn't even predator hunt, and he is getting up there in age, so I finally got him to sell it to me. I track and help him drag deer a lot, so he would only take what he had into it...$525.00!!!

Just grabbed it in January and dialed that rifle in last Thursday with some 55 gr gamekings. I plan on hunting it after turkey season. Looking forward to it.

Back