IMR 8208 XBR and the 7mm-08

swift one

I am running this powder in my 22-250 with some very good results. My friend is getting some spooky accuracy in his 22-250 Axis with this powder also. Both sticks with 55gr NBTs

I have done some googling about this powder in the 7/08 and not getting much results back except for that it might be good for the lighter bullets in this caliber. Just so happens that I am running the 120gr NBTs through my 08.

Has anyone gotten any data with this powder in the 7/08? Good or bad, heavy or light bullets, I would like to know what some of you have found out. Also, if you have seen any serious POI changes with this powder in ANY caliber. At least for the moment, I have only worked this powder for my 250 in about +/- 20* range.

Last edited:
I am going to run it in my 204 and 223's hopefully in the next couple of months.

I will try to work up a load in the 7-08 X Bolt with 120's and let you know.

I heard it's the cat's meow in 223 and 204. I have been tempted to try it in my 223 but my gun LOVES H4895 and 60gr Sierra HPs too much for me to really play with it.

This stuff is awesome in my 6X45's and I hope it works just as well in my 223 i just got. I'm sure it will...Meters like water, seems to be temp insensitive and gives good velocity.

As for the 7-08...check out hodgdon.com. They have data all the way through the spectrum.

Just tried some 8208 reloads in a .308 today. Had some decent 100 yd groups with it using 150 gr FMJ bullets. Can't recall trying the powder in my 7mm-08. Did think about trying it in my .243, but found no load data for it.

I looked at the load data on Hogdon. It's very interesting that the 162 Amax is getting more speed in their data for this powder than the 160 and 154 grain bullets...odd?

I'd sure like to know of someone playing w/ this powder, and their results, before I try it in my 7-08. I guess I could use it in my 22.250...but oh how it likes varget...and I have 7lbs of it.

Originally Posted By: natesatt
I looked at the load data on Hogdon. It's very interesting that the 162 Amax is getting more speed in their data for this powder than the 160 and 154 grain bullets...odd?

I'd sure like to know of someone playing w/ this powder, and their results, before I try it in my 7-08. I guess I could use it in my 22-250...but oh how it likes Varget...and I have 7 lbs of it.

There are a lot of variables in this stuff - different batch of copper pellets for the pressure gun, different operator, different jacket thickness or different core hardness, or different bearing surface, etc - pressure measurements are very "iffy", and none of them are absolutely accurate.

It's just the way it is.

Back