My "Ultimate Wolf Calling Rifle"

jcs271

A little preseason action and first blood for my new "Ultimate Wolf Calling Rifle". I have had a long time need for a weatherproof, quick handling,adequate caliber rifle for calling in the heavy timber where I spend almost all of my time. I finally decided to make exactly what I wanted and here it is. She started out as a factory Ruger M77 Hawkeye. The stainless/synthetic was an absolute must for the 2-3 days a week (year round) it will spend exposed to the weather up here. I wanted a shorter barrel for quick handling in the timber so I had John King of Kila Mt. cut and recrown the barrel to 16 1/4".

I usually carry in an Eberlestock Gunrunner pack but I frequently would get pine needles etc in the muzzle from brushing against branches that slowly filled the scabbard. I also have to keep my muzzle taped when in heavy snow or even worse snowmobiling my trapline. To adress this issue, I had John thread the barrel and mount a standard A2 flash hider for an overall length of 18". The hider keeps crap out of my muzzle while in the pack and by putting on a plastic ar-15 muzzle cap (like our boys are using in the desert) it completely seals the barrel from rain/snow/debris. I think that it also looks kinda cool and probably gives me a little flash reduction as well as reducing muzzle rise.

Because I frequently call in bears (5 last fall and 1 grizz, 2yrs ago) and intend this specifically for wolf hunting I wanted a larger caliber so I opted for .308. The short action is handy and the caliber is not to much for coyotes, will be perfect for wolves and will be better than nothing if ursus comes in hard and fast. With a fully enclosed 6rd shell holder on the stock and four down in the mag I am good to go.

If you noticed the bright orange sling, that was also on purpose. I frequently lean my rifle against a nearby tree while setting up for bowhunting at a set and I can see that sucker instantly if I need to make a grab for it. It also works well when out placing my ecaller and I need to look back to see where my "hide" is. It is a simple one buckle design that allows me to instantly slide it up tight to the rifle for shooting yet can be loosened enough to wear across my back over a heavy snowsuit. I hate a sloppy dangling sling! Happily, when that barrel got cut short, either the additional stiffness or divine intervention helped with accuracy as it now shoots an honest 1/4 moa with factory federal blue box 150's.

Almost forgot, could not do it all with out the crystal clear Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5 mounted in low factory rings. I can shoot with both eyes open up close and fast when needed yet I can also crank it up to 4.5 for a longer shot in the areas where the timber has been thinned a bit. Well, I think that about covers it. For ME, it is the ultimate timber calling rifle.

good looking rig, and sounds like it fills the bill. however you said "wolf" and "grizz". all though i have no experience w/ these 2 animals, it translates to me as "semi-auto"...good huntin to ya!

Nice rig. Looks like some thought has gone into it.

Shanedogg, I love hunting coyotes with an AR15 when I can, but I usually hunt everything else with a Ruger #1.
thumbup.gif

Good looking rig, nice to see a wolf rig doing it's job. I've been thinking about turning an old m77 into a bastard GSR. Now that I see how well it works, I might have to get serious about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedfrogNice rig. Looks like some thought has gone into it.

Shanedogg, I love hunting coyotes with an AR15 when I can, but I usually hunt everything else with a Ruger #1.
thumbup.gif

hunting is one thing, and let it be known that 9 times out of 10 it only takes one shot, i get that, but calling grizz and wolf, i would feel better w/ a fast follow up, like from an auto or bolt gun, single action #1....your crazy and my hero redfrog...lol.....

Back