What calipers should I buy?

Centurion

I've been shopping for calipers without success. Does anyone have favorite calipers they like? Also, does anyone know where I can find some? I want to use a bullet comparator with them to size my reloads. Thanks for any info.

I have gotten several sets in various sizes from Harbor Frieght. They work great. They served me well, and I was a machinist for a while.

Kevlars

Like most things you get what you pay for.
Mitutoyo, Brown & Sharp, and Starrett are the best. I would recommend dial type over digital type.
I prefer Mitutoyo myself

mitutoyo, Brown and Sharpe dial, Starrett Dial

I would urge you to shop local pawn shops to look for where retired machinists have sold all their tools.

the Mitutoyo can be had used for around $79 or so, heck of a caliper.

The older Brown and Sharpe that has jeweled mechanism just makes you go, "SWEET" every time you use them!

The Mit will stay on 9 months or more if you do not turn them off.

Last edited:

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it. I'm pretty broke now after getting so much stuff for reloading. After checking my funds I guess I'm going to have to go with one of the cheaper stainless ones.

I have a digital that keeps giving me various readings on reset and ordered an inexpensive dial caliper from Midway Arms (about $30) for use on my bench...For what I do, they are very adequate....Easy to lock without loosening and smooth to operate...

Maybe if I were doing more precise machine work, I'd could justify more money, but measuring to .0000 is close enough for me...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI have a digital that keeps giving me various readings on reset and ordered an inexpensive dial caliper from Midway Arms (about $30) for use on my bench...For what I do, they are very adequate....Easy to lock without loosening and smooth to operate...

Maybe if I were doing more precise machine work, I'd could justify more money, but measuring to .0000 is close enough for me... Same here. Midway I've had for years works fine for me.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanmitutoyo, Brown and Sharpe dial, Starrett Dial

I would urge you to shop local pawn shops to look for where retired machinists have sold all their tools.

the Mitutoyo can be had used for around $79 or so, heck of a caliper.

The older Brown and Sharpe that has jeweled mechanism just makes you go, "SWEET" every time you use them!

The Mit will stay on 9 months or more if you do not turn them off.

Yep I have the 1970's vintage Brown & Sharpe and they are sweet.

I have a stainless dial ($30) and Frankford digital from Midway ($15 on sale) that both work perfectly well. Reloading is not a heart valve surgery and these tools are accurate enough.

I have a digital Mitutoyo 6" caliper that I got when I entered collage....... 24 years ago.

Still is as accurate as the day I bought them. It still see's a bit of work between my reloading bench and the lathe in my shop. It's been a solid investment.

Back