New Savage .17 Hornet ...FAIL!

dirtdarte

I just received my Savage .17 hornet and took it too the range today. I got the laminated stock model 25 and although it isn't what I would consider to be in the same league with a CZ....I figured that this rifle would be a good test bed and brass producer until I can get the CZ...but I digress...

Anyway... mounted the scope...set up a target...and problems..problems...problems.

First off... the rifle is accurate...or has the potential to be very accurate. I fired a total of 25 rounds. The last 5 at 100yds were all touching... that made me very happy.

The bad news... the rifle won't eject. Yup..won't eject. The first 4 rounds ejected fine but pulling the bolt back took serious effort. It wasn't difficult bolt lift...actually pulling the bolt back was the issue. After getting the bolt to move back, the empty case would drop dead in the action like a dead fish and I'd have to roll the rifle to "pour" the case out. I'm sure you get the idea. Anyway, after a few minutes of working the bolt with various degrees of force to try to throw the cases back fast enough to get them to clear the action... all efforts futile.. I removed the bolt.. flipped it around and was promptly awarded the extractor and plunger on my shooting mat...[beeep]?

Luckily, I found all the pieces and cobbled the bolt back together.. fired a few more rounds...had the same ejection problem... and went home to determine the cause of this insult.

I took the bolt completely apart with the exception of the ejection plunger to look for problems, Took the extractor apart again... pulled out the spring... looked for burrs... all the usual stuff... put everything back together and still have the problem. I loaded up a magazine of live rounds and worked the bolt to see if maybe I could isolate the problem to just the fired cases... Nope... wont eject live rounds.

To be clear... It extracts just fine and the ejector appears to work exactly as designed.

Anybody have any ideas... or do I need to spend some more money and time to ship back to Savage and have them fix my brand new...not broke in.. boat anchor?

Thanks for the reply's... maybe I'm missing something simple.

Does tha have the same extraction setup as the Model 40 .22 hornet?

I had one that had extraction issues. Was told it needed to be sent back to Savage. Traded it off with full disclosure before going any further.

For some reason I've heard a couple of examples of Savage having problems with the hornets.

I don't know about the model 40 extractor. Never had one. I think this extractor is more like a Sako extractor. I can thumb it open pretty easily... I wonder if it needs a stiffer spring.

Do search around the net - I know I saw where other guys had issues with the new Savage rimfires not ejecting well. Feeding problems too IIRC. Some were sending them back to Savage to be reworked. Something apparently didn't go well at the factory? Shame, as Savage is usually producing a good gun.

You can look back in history and find rifles that have all but killed cartridges, take the Remington and the slow twisted 6mm rem for example. This POS savage 25 isn't doing anything for the 17 Hornet. I've heard nothing much besides problems with them so far. Everything from extraction, feeding, bad crowns, cracked stocks and if that's not enough...... It's ugly to boot.

Send that thing back and tell them you don't want to see it again until it shoots and functions like its supposed to. I would demand they pay shipping too.

Originally Posted By: Furhunter It's ugly to boot.

Send that thing back and tell them you don't want to see it again "PERIOD"!

There,,, fixed it for ya;)

Originally Posted By: FurhunterYou can look back in history and find rifles that have all but killed cartridges, take the Remington and the slow twisted 6mm rem for example.

Actually, it was the .244 Remington that had the slower (1-12") twist. After Remington started making the barrels with the 1-9" twist they re-named the round and the gun as the 6mm Remington.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: FurhunterYou can look back in history and find rifles that have all but killed cartridges, take the Remington and the slow twisted 6mm rem for example.

Actually, it was the .244 Remington that had the slower (1-12") twist. After Remington started making the barrels with the 1-9" twist they re-named the round and the gun as the 6mm Remington.

I think most got the jest of it.. Don't you?

Thanks for the correction Charlie!

Thanks for all your helpful reply's... I called Savage today and they said send it back to them. GRRRRR. I'm done with Savage... and yes, the rifle is kinda ugly BUT... it's a good shooter so that sorta makes up for it.

Gosh, dd, consider yourself lucky: at least your's shot a good group. I just finished packing up my .22 Hornet Model 25 to send to Savage. That would be the one I traded the .17 HH that shot flyers for; this one's doing the same thing, patterning (if you could call it that) exactly like the .17! Oh, mine ejected fine...they just jammed while feeding.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterThis POS savage 25 isn't doing anything for the 17 Hornet. I've heard nothing much besides problems with them so far. Everything from extraction, feeding, bad crowns, cracked stocks and if that's not enough...... It's ugly to boot.

That is actually the first problem I have heard. I have one of the synthetic model 25's. I only have 50 rounds through it but with no problems. Shoots great too. There was posts here on PM about the Ruger having some chamber problems I think.

I shipped the Rifle back to Savage today.... and I have this feeling... I may never see it again.... weird. Anyway, I'm pretty upset about the whole experience. I've never had to do this with any firearm I've ever had and don't like it one bit.

Yes.. I paid shipping... more salt in the wound.

I'm guessing the earliest I can expect to see this rife again is mid to late may.... well into the potgut and chuck season... I'm regretting I ever bought this rifle.

Does anyone have any experience with Savage customer service/repair? They say 3 or 4 weeks to get repairs completed, but I'm not feeling confident in their estimates.

Originally Posted By: dirtdarteI shipped the Rifle back to Savage today.... and I have this feeling... I may never see it again.... weird.

Why would you even think that? I really doubt they are going to keep your rifle.

Mine has failed too! On my 14th round of factory loaded Hornady 17 Hornet 20gr vmax, it felt like I fired my 22-250. Lots of black smoke out the back, stock cracked, extractor blew off and is fused to the inside of the receiver. The round was confirmed downrange, as was the one before it. The case is stuck in the chamber and is completely black with no primer anywhere to be found. The chamber is also rolled on the edges. I will be calling savage and hornady first thing in the morning (monday) to see what they are going to do about this. Anyone know if I can just get a refund? I don't want them to "fix" it and get the same rifle back. I am afraid if this happens it will never shoot the same ever again and I will just hate it.

I just purchase a model 25 walking varminter; now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. From what I'd read previously, the model 25 action was fairly trouble free and accurate.

On Savages service, I have had no issues. They do a good job. I had one of the first LH 17 hmr's that hit the distributors. I also had ejection problems. Called them, shipped it back. They had it fixed and back pretty quick.
No issues since. It wound up being a chamber reamer issue. Polished and returned. Its all been good since.
It may be something as simple as a bit of brass shaving in the chamber, Or a bit of a tight chamber.
Savage is not going to risk or customer injury or dis satisfaction on such a small issue.
I am confident that it will come back in good functioning order.
Its a new round, in a new gun consider yourselves pioneers for the moment.......

Back