Coyote ammo for my 7mm Mag

nc_deerhunter

Is there any type of ammo that I can use with my 7mm Mag to hunt coyotes? Im wanting to save the hyde and the smallest bullet I can find is a 130gr. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the help.

The only kinda of bullets ive ever shot with my 7mm mag was Remington Core-Lokt 150gr for deer hunting. Ive never shot any of the smaller grain bullets. I thought it might be too big to save the fur but I was hoping I could find one because I love hunting with my 7mm mag. BIG SPLAT huh? lol

I took four coyotes this year from my deer stands, 7mm. Rem. Mag., 140 grain TSX.

One I caught through the bottom lip at about 40 yards, dead level with her, it was not fur friendly to say the least. There was, for sure, no tracking involved.

The other three were lung shots, at standing dogs at a little over 100 yrds., one in snow. Man, that was impressive. Picked up the splash with the scope with no problem. Blood spray at a measured 17' into the brush of the edge he was slinking down, easing up on doe and fawn feeding in a food plot. 7mm. hole going in, about the size of nickel going out. Split them to see what the damage to lungs was, just like with the deer I took with that combination, mush was all that I found.

May not be the thing for one hole kills, gentle on the hide, but it will really put their lights out to use an old southern term for lungs!

If you handload the Speer 115 gr HP or the Speer 110 TNT they are hard to beat for a long range load in the 7mm Mag. I have killed a number of groundhog with these loads in the 7 mag and believe me it does shoot flat. Pelts will suffer tho, but the coyote won't.

Hey Bea,
Would you reccomend those lighter bullets on deer? And what kind of chrony speed would I be looking at if I loaded them?

BANDIT

Thanks for all the replies. Dont look like ill be using the 7mm Rem Mag for coyotes. I dont reload but I have a few friends that do. I might try the Speer 110gr TNT. Guess ill stick with the smaller calibers. What kinda velocity did you get with the Speer 110gr TNT?

I use the 150 BT and the 150 MK. The Bts win with a slight accuracy margin. Most any 284 bullet is gonna go through without expanding much. Though I will be trying the speer 110 also. It's nice to not be blocked by trees and such hehe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I use h4350 and Standard OALs. jerryboy

I shoot a 7mm mag for deer and shoot winchester 140 ballistic silvertips. 2 years ago I shot a coyote from my deerstand, hit him right behind the front shoulder. Needless to say it wasn't pretty, small entry and the exit was bigger than a softball it took most of his ribs with it. That coyote sure did not feel a thing.

Quote:
Hey Bea,
Would you reccomend those lighter bullets on deer? And what kind of chrony speed would I be looking at if I loaded them?

BANDIT

No i wouldn't use them on deer because they would cripple as many as you would kill. I didn't have a chrono at the time i was using them, so wouldn't really know what the vel was. The loading manuals tended to inflat vel compared to what you get in the real world with factory rifle. A lot of the powder and bullet companies are using standard factory rifle for testing and the vel in their new manuals is very close to what is stated . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I used IMR4350 with the light bullets

I have used a 7mm Mag for several years because it was all that i had. I don't worry about fur damage though. We raise sheep and cattle as do many of our friends. Fur isn't worth the time it takes to skin them down here.

The 140 BT were real rough on them. I hunt some pastures where I have up to 500 yd shots and the 7 Mag is just the right tool.
I had a 30/06 before this rifle and I had some lost coyotes (mostly because of poor shot placement) and the bullet not expanding.

The 7 Mag just guts them right where they are standing.

This coyote i took with my 280 Ack and the Nosler CT BT 150 gr. The exit wound was about the size of a fifty cent piece.
The shot was about 150 yards and he went right down.
aff8.jpg

With a caliber like a 7MM rem mag, there is nothing you can do to stop exits. You are now hunting coyotes with a rather potent big game rifle. The idea of a small fragmenting bullet that doesnt exit just doesn't apply in these situations. Expect exits and expect them to be nasty. To controle them the best you can use a heavy bullet of solid constuction. Expansion will be minimal and exits not to bad depending on where you hit them and alot of luck. If you want to save fur, but some traps. Or at least an appropriate rifle for hunting coyotes. Even then even then expect nast blow outs from time to time.

Last edited:
Back