Zeroing problem

cmil84

I have a RRA Coyote Carbine topped with a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42SF. It is mounted on with a RRA mount. I took it out today trying to zero it and I was way high. I kept shooting high so I kept cranking it down. I finally got on target but I am cranked all the way down. I am not zeroed but I cant adjust anymore down. Everything seems to be mounted right but I cant figure out why it is shooting high. I had another mount on it and had it zeroed. I just got this RRA mount and decided to put it on my RR. I cant figure out why it is doing this. I have some pics so you guys can see the mount. Anybody have any solutions for this.

It may be the camera angle, but are you sure the cross pins in the base of the mount are all the way down in the grooves on the flat top??? It appears in the top picture that the front of the mount may be riding slightly higher than the rear...But, as I said, it may be the camera angle...That would explain it needing to be cranked all the way down... Most of those mounts are pretty square if seated right...

I will have to check but that might be. I couldn't get them to screw down any more. Should I unscrew them and try and re tighten them. Is there a certain way to tighten down the screws. I seem to have a problem of getting one side to tighten all the way down but not the other side. There is a gap on all sides of the mount. I cant get it any tighter though.

I would remove the mount altogether and watch as you remove it to see the positions of the cross bolts in the mounting/security clamps...If nothing else take the mounting bolts completely out and make sure that when positioned on the rail, that you can see completely through the bolt holes and that they are aligned with the grooves in the rail on the upper, then reinsert the bolts and the clamp...

There is always the possibility that the holes were improperly drilled and not allowing the mount to be properly seated...Unlikely, but possible...

+1, my nephews .300 blackout did the same thing. The mount was not fully seated down into the rail in front, causing his to shoot really low.

Not only that, but the proper way to set up an AR is to touch your nose on the charging handle and then adjust your eye relief accordingly.

Just looking at your set-up, I can see that your scope is way too far back. How do you know that your head/eye position is exact every time you fire?

Trust me bud my head position is not the problem. Plus there is no other way to put that mount on. Also if you look the scope is pretty much all the way forward. Its not open sights. After shooting awhile i got my proper shooting position. Thanks for the advice though. I am sure the back of the mount is seated more then the front. Thanks for pointing that out. Its not much oc a difference but it made a huge difference

No. I just set it on there to get a pic. I noticed after i took the pic that it was pointing down. I was cleaning up getting ready to leave and i just set it on there and snap some pics

ok. I was going to point out you have the front rest on the barrel. shooting like that could cause all kinds of trouble.
lol.gif

I had a Leupold that ran out of elevation when I was trying to zero it. It was at least 4" high @ 100 yards and no more travel in the turret. Couldn't figure out why as it had been on the gun before with the same rings and the rings had never been removed. I ended up spinning the elevation turret to the two extremes (all the way up and all the way down). Brought it back to the middle and it was boresigted. Three more clicks while shooting and it was right on.

Ok im confused. If the back is seated more then the front causing the scope to be pointed up just a bit. How would that make me shoot low?? Go vandals im going to remount the scope. I think i will go ahead and try your option too

Originally Posted By: cmil84Ok im confused.

Ha! You think you're confused.

I'm confused as to how a mount of that design could possibly be installed incorrectly. As in one end being higher than the other.

And if some how, some way, it wasn't on properly, it would be blatantly obvious.. Kinda like stick out like a sore dik obvious. Yeah, I'm confused too.

Lmfao!!! Im just saying maybe the back mount being tighter then the front might have caused a slight lift in the front of the sight. The mount its self is properly installed. The sight being unevenly screwed down is the only thing i could see it being. Still doggin coyotes your comment is good

Originally Posted By: cmil84Ok im confused. If the back is seated more then the front causing the scope to be pointed up just a bit. How would that make me shoot low?? Go vandals im going to remount the scope. I think i will go ahead and try your option too

If the scope is pointing up, the barrel would be pointing down....

Ok I think I might have figured out the problem. I have not been able to shoot it yet but I took the mount off today and realized that the back screw on the mount was not in one of the grooves on the rail. Somehow I could not see this when I looked at it. I didn't even notice it until I took it off. So now I have it back on but I cant shoot it until the weather improves. Here is some more pics. If you look at the difference from the pics above to the new ones, you will see that the mount is more forward now. Reason being is because it is on properly now.

So much for:

Originally Posted By: cmil84 Plus there is no other way to put that mount on. I am sure the back of the mount is seated more then the front.

tt1.gif

And I guess it wasn't so blatantly obvious?
lol.gif

Back