Are loads the same for lead free

POPNDOGS

I have been reloading 32 gr. Nosler ballistic tip bullets in my .204 ruger with great groups, I was wondering if the reloading data would be the same if I went to a lead free bullet?? The bullet weight is the same but the lead free bullet is a bit longer, any advice / help is appreciated.(not to mention time & $$$ ) Thank you

Last edited:
The longer lead free bullets takes up some case capacity so the loads are not the same.

I have to shoot lead free bullets in the Condor Zone in California where I live and hunt. There is no way I would be shooting lead free bullets if I didn't have to.

The BCs on the lead free bullets are lower than the lead bullets. I have had much better luck with the Hornady NTX bullets and the Nosler BT Lead Free bullets than I have had with the Barnes Varmint Grenades.

I went to barnes ttsx all coppers last year, worked very well on elk. I pulled loads from the hodgdon website, dont remember if they were much different than anything else.

130 barnes tsx .277 is running 30fps slower than the Sierra 130 gameking .277 with same powder charge, primer, casing in my .270 win. Still started low and worked up to be safe

In many cases, the lead free will allow a higher charge. The reason I suspect is the grooves make for less friction. Some of the lead free don't have the grooves so this doesn't apply.

Last edited:
Barnes Reloading Manual

How does your data compare to other manufacturers’ data?
Because our bullets feature completely different construction (solid copper), they build pressures differently. Triple-Shock X Bullets normally reach maximum pressure and velocity with lower powder charges. Therefore, we always recommend using our data.

Originally Posted By: POPNDOGSI have been reloading 32 gr. Nosler ballistic tip bullets in my .204 ruger with great groups, I was wondering if the reloading data would be the same if I went to a lead free bullet?? The bullet weight is the same but the lead free bullet is a bit longer, any advice / help is appreciated.(not to mention time & $$$ ) Thank you

What brand, weight and type of lead free bullet do you want to try in your .204 Ruger?

Not all of the lead free bullets are solid copper.

Quite a few of the .224 lead free bullets that are 50 gr and heavier are too long for the 1-12" and 1-14" twist rate 223 Rem, 22-250 and 220 Swift rifles.

The .204 Barnes 26 gr Varmint Grenade has a BC of 0.131.

The .204 Hornady 32 gr V-Max lead bullet has a BC of 0.210.

I say no.. but i also say no to the loads being the same from one manufacture to another..
Meaning that i will use the load from a 50gr Vmax as a starting point, if i switched to Barnes, or Bergers.. but i would work up a load for each gun and each bullet brand to get the best results possible. Then log it, and save it.

Thanks for all the input, I will just have to reduce the loads a bit and see what happens. The way things are getting I dont want to return them. Take care.

Back