Alliant Power Pro Varmint...

C.Jay

I have never used this powder before, but found 4 lbs for $90 locally so it now resides in the happy room. Found a few starter loads online
I am going to try this week, I'll post some results here later in the week.

Any one have any experience with this powder?

I was at the range a couple of days ago trying the stuff in my AR-15 varminter. 25.5 grains of the Varmint with various 50 grain bullets gave me right at 3000 fps out of my 24" barrel. Shooting buddy with me got 2900 fps with his 20" barrel. Good half inch groups from both of us but the speeds were a little on the slow side. Next time that I go I will by stepping it up just a bit and see what happens. I plan on trying this powder in my .220 Swift too and see how it goes.

And $90 for 4 pounds? I got 4 jugs of it from Graf and Sons 3 months ago that were $100 each and they were 8 lbs per jug! My but prices have shot up in short order!

32 pounds for $400 bucks?
That is a good price. I am looking forward of trying out a new powder. Thanks for the reply.

I've got solid loads for Benchmark, TAC, Varget and IMR4895, and after (hopefully) working up a decent load with this new-to-me Power Pro, I really need to make a powder order. But with the crazy prices, I think I'll hold off a bit. Sure hope it settles down before the prairie dogs start movin' around. Down to just over 30 lbs right now for the small bores, and that ain't much when you can burn 2000 rounds in a weekend.

Got lots of W748 for the M1A though.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: BearC.Jay What are you loading for? That W-748 is good for 223 also.

I only load for .223 and .308
I have a good load for .223 using the W748, but I am saving it for the M1A and 700 AAC-SD, as they both shoot very well with it.
Just wondering about this P.P. Varmint.

Thanks for the replies.

I've used Alliant Power Pro Varmint in my 22-250 with 52 grain Watson bullets with excellent accuracy. Meters great also, but can be a pain if there is a lot of static this time of the year.
Dave T

Started to work up a load last night. Used data from Alliant's website. They didn't have start loads, just one weight for the bullets I am using so I backed off 2 grns to start.

You are right, this powder meters very well. Will hit the range tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: jarheadhunterWhat ever happened with your results? I am interested in some of the Power Pro powders.

Thanks
Settled on 24.7 under the 55 gr Sierra soft points. Didn't get to chrono them but they shot very well, right around .750 to .875 for five shots!!! I am good with that. Going to try some 55 gr V-Maxs next. Just got home from work Tuesday so have a bit of time now. Will post results of the V-Max's in a couple of days.

Really like how it meters.
thumbup1.gif

Back