Cast bullet load for .45 ACP?

moonshine44

I've got some 200 grain Laser Cast RNFP that I'm thinking of loading for my 1911. The powders I have on hand are Unique and W231. IIRC my Laser Cast book says 5 to 6 grains of Unique for 200 grain semi-wadcutter, but doesn't mention RNFP. Hodgdon's website says 4.4 to 5.6 grains of W231 for the LSWC, but again no mention of RNFP. Is the difference in bullet style going to make any difference, as long as I start near bottom with the powder charge and work up?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Either of those powders should be fine. I wouldn't worry about slight differences in bullet shapes, within the cast data.

I have used a bunch of 200 grn bullets with the 45 acp, these were plated. The powders I had on hand were H Universal & Titegroup.

Thanks, guys. That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure before I loaded any. All I've ever loaded for in the past is revolvers.

My son and I shoot a lot of 200 grain RNFP out of our 45 ACPs. The usual charge is 5.2 grains of HP-38, which is the same as 231. That is a middle of the road target load that is easy on the gun and shooter. These bullets are designed for the 45 Colt, but they make great target/plinking loads for the ACP. We bought them so we would only have one bullet on the shelf for both guns.

I got a good buy on a couple thousand of those Laser Cast 200 gr. RNFP bullets and have ran them all through a couple different 1911's loaded with Unique powder. It was a fine load with good accuracy, reliable functioning, and mild recoil.

Originally Posted By: moonshine44Thanks! Sounds like I better get busy. I just got this 1911 and I'm wanting to shoot it. A lot...

Yeah I know what you mean. I got my first one this winter, and I pretty much want to shoot it all the time. And I've never really been a pistol guy.

6.0 grains of Unique with a 200 gr. LSWC is my go to .45 ACP round for cheap practice. Shoots and functions flawlessly in my 2 Colts.

I load 231/wsf/autocomp with a 180g rnfp lead bullet from Chey-Cast here in town in my 45 and shoots darn accurate. About 950 fps.

Back