Homemade Coyote Decoys

Paul C.69

These are my first two attempts at making Coyote Decoys. The puppy decoy basically cost me zero as I had the all the components on hand.
The Weasel Ball Decoy cost less than $10 to make,required no welding and has an adjustable contact rod to alter the action of the "critter"

Puppy Decoy- I apologize for the background music

Weasel Ball

Looks Good!!!

Here is one I have had a lot of luck with. Not homemade, but store bought. Don't laugh it gets them to stop for a standing still shot every time.
a66f415dce98a34f1f8d6730cfd52e18.jpg

Last edited:
Here is mine I have only killed one coyote while using it. But I don't take it out much. I always worry it will scare them off.
B70A3883-09C3-428E-99D7-399549CEBC81-3180-000004C5EB3473AE.jpg

Paul good looking decoy's. Your weazel Ball looks kinda familiar to me
wink.gif
I'm glad you can put it to good use.

A couple things you might try to get some better action out of the weazel, is to adjust the contact bar a bit lower so that it just barely hits the tail as it passes by, this will help in allowing the decoy spin easier & allow the tail to swing in a higher arc giving off a better presentation.

Another thing I found was that the little plastic thing a majig that goes through the nose of the weazel & attaches to the motor, is real weak & flimsy & allows the weazel to fold over & not force it to spin in a high wide arc.

So I took some Bailing wire (Tie Wire) about 10 or 12" long, bent it in half, making a double piece of wire 5-6" long, I pushed the bent over end down inside the weazel body & the other end I poked through the hole in the motor body & bent over the ends of the wire at a 90* angle one going each direction, this holds the wire in place. I did leave the plastic thing a majiggy's in place JIC so my weazel didn't go a flying when I turned it on.

This seemed to stiffen it up & helped the decoy swing in a nice high arc, giving off more presentation, IMO the more it can be seen the more it can attract.

Another thing you'll find out after a few uses, (especially in your location) battery life is pretty short, I would get 2-3 hunts out of a battery but the temps here rarely get colder than 20*

Best of luck, Lee

Originally Posted By: DmcgeeHere is mine I have only killed one coyote while using it. But I don't take it out much. I always worry it will scare them off.

explain how you made this

Looks very similar to the ones that are being massed produced. I've never carried a coyote into a stand, but it looks just a good as the production types.

If a guy wanted to make one, looks easy enough.

Bet hes always itching his nose though
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: bignastyOriginally Posted By: DmcgeeHere is mine I have only killed one coyote while using it. But I don't take it out much. I always worry it will scare them off.

explain how you made this

Very simple. Cut out a coyote silhouette out of corrugated plastic (the stuff they make election signs out of) sand lightly, prime it, and paint it. I used some aluminum rod for stakes. I actually wrote "don't shoot" on the back side. And left it primer gray. I never face the front side to the road. Don't want people taking shots at my decoy.

I hear that I had 2 state troopers shoot at mine 1 night, i have the bought 1 that is a full size coyote, dont think they hit it once but it was 70 yards from the road around 3am.

Back