204 upper

I am looking to get a 204 upper. Anyone have any suggestions. I am debating on a d tech. I have read great reveiws. But what is the wait time and ballpark cost.

A DTECH upper would be nice.Probably cost around $900-$1000 depending what all you get. Top quality pc. but I think the wait is around 12 months.Don't hold me to that though. Also take a look at DPMS or RRA. RRA does not make them anymore but I know where a like new "shot less than 75 rounds" RRA 204 upper is for Sale. PM me if you want more info.

I currently shoot a Sabre Defence 204 upper on a RRA lower.Barrel is a 24" heavy fluted with a 1-12 twist.It hates the 40gr. vmax but absolutely loves the 32gr. Sierra 32gr. B/K's fired off by Benchmark.

If you want to shoot the 40gr. and heavier pills,you will want a 1-11 twist or faster. It is hit or miss on the 1-12 twist uppers being able to shoot the 40s.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks for the information. I will do.a little more research. I have learned one thing this is a bad time to want anything especially if you want it quick.

I did a 1-10" and it stabilized 40g Vmax perfectly. If I do one on my model 12 it will be a 10 twist of possibly 9 twist so it can run the Berger 55 grain .204's. They have a wicked BC!

^^^ Agree with Dustin,If I ever re barrel my Savage LRPV I will go with at least a 1-11 twist or faster.Lucky for me I can get the 40gr. vmax to shoot out of my 1-12.

Last edited:
in lieu of buying one and waiting an eternity look into building one yourself???

spend your $ on a quality barrel and build from there.
some of the panic buying is tapering off so finding the rest of the parts shouldnt be that hard.

i built my AR in 204 from the ground up and would/will do it again in an instant.
i went with a 22" 1:12 barrel

sp

Last edited:
you guys that shoot the 1/12 twist what brand of 204 are you shooting. I am just wondering because I have an Olympic Arms coming that is a 24 inch 1/12 twist. I was told it shoots the 40 grainers pretty good. I was wondering if you guys are shooting Olys.

Originally Posted By: FurfrenzyAre the mags the same as the .223 for the .204? It is the same case just necked down right?

The mags are the same but PMAGs don't work very well with 204.

204 is not the same brass as 223. It is based on a .222 mag, I believe.

Originally Posted By: cmil84you guys that shoot the 1/12 twist what brand of 204 are you shooting. I am just wondering because I have an Olympic Arms coming that is a 24 inch 1/12 twist. I was told it shoots the 40 grainers pretty good. I was wondering if you guys are shooting Olys.

All my 204's are 1-12 twist. I shoot a Savage LRPV,A sabre Defence AR and a Cooper MTV.

Dave

Back