FLIR - White hot vs. Black hot vs. Instalert?

GJJ

Under what conditions do you find each of these to work best with your FLIR 24/32/64?

For me:

White hot - Best for detection when the scene contains inanimate objects with a broad range of temperatures from hot to cold.

Black Hot - Seems best for viewing details of a scene. Everything appears in sharper focus.

Instalert - Best for detection when the scene contains inanimate objects that are all the same temperature.

P.S. The Flir LS64 is an excellent device for spotting planes in the sky at very high altitude. This will come in handy in the future for drone detection.

Last edited:
White %99.9 of the time.
Black to quick scan the area if I see no movement under white.
Never used the reds.

Originally Posted By: GJJUnder what conditions do you find each of these to work best with your FLIR 24/32/64?

For me:

White hot - Best for detection when the scene contains inanimate objects with a broad range of temperatures from hot to cold.

Black Hot - Seems best for viewing details of a scene. Everything appears in sharper focus.

Instalert - Best for detection when the scene contains inanimate objects that are all the same temperature.

P.S. The Flir LS64 is an excellent device for spotting planes in the sky at very high altitude. This will come in handy in the future for drone detection.

I Have come to same conclusion, that is how I use my flir. Except have not tried the spotting planes aspect.

Originally Posted By: 5spdWhite %99.9 of the time.
Black to quick scan the area if I see no movement under white.
Never used the reds.

Same here with my PS32 and LS64!

If you are not using Instalert, I think you are missing out on some of the units capabilities. In a field where there are uniform temperatures, a warm blooded mammal really stands out. This feature is especially valuable at medium to long distance on stationary animals. A couple nights ago, I spotted a coyote in the brush at 450 yards. I toggled between all three modes to compare. Black was the worst. White was so-so. Instalert gave me one red image in the viewing screen. He was visible in white hot. But, I could have easily missed him when he was stationary. Instalert really makes even stationary animals stand out.

In urban scenarios, there is a much greater range of temperatures. Instalert, for me in urban settings, is pretty much useless unless it is early morning.

Last edited:
Keep in mind the instalert modes appear set the lower and upper temp setting narrower and narrower thus the higher contrast. I find this very useful looking out over open fields. But the temps will dictate how narrow you can set the instalert to before too much red. I set to just before the sky and brush at edge of field turn red. usually I3 or I4 this gives ability to spot jackrabbits at 400yds. Saw some deer at 850yds counted 7 of them with ps24, I can only imagine the ls64. The unit with the marine mode programmed seemed to give better contrast in white mode compared to the white mode with the instalert added instead of the marine mode.

Flir's instahot is a nice feature, atn collor pallets are useless.

I have one thermal device with instahot ps32 and one with only white and black, atn. You really need all three. When i am using the device without instahot i feel crippled. Sometimes with white hot i get a lot of whitewash at the treeline in the bushes. Sometime switching to blackhot doesnt help.

I find that blackhot helps me judge distance better, sometimes gives a better outline of objects, sometimes looks through brush better.
Mostly, im in instahot or whitehot.

But, you can get the job done without instahot.

I got my 64 last night and had a chance to play with the laser on it. I think this will be a big help in pointing out critters to others as well as judging distance, nice addition to the system

It is a nice upgrade from the PS-32 to help ID and judge distances better, but the PS-32 still works very good for detection.

Skypup, I tried the PS32. I did not feel like it was that good for detection. It did okay on moving animals. But, I feel it really lacked on stationary animals at medium to long distance. Also, the PS32 also did not do very well when there was thermal clutter.

It is like the 640 core unit reaches some sort of critical mass for usefulness that the 320 core does not. Clutter is much less of a problem. The resolution helps me detect stationary critters at distance infinitely better. I have used my LS64/618 just about every night since I got it.

The differences between the PS32 and LS64, to me, are like day and night.

Last edited:
I use them both all the time, no question the higher resolution is much better, but I can easily detect virtually anything at anytime within 350 yards of me using the PS-32.

I use the instalert most of the time scanning for animals. I've been surprised at how well it works. A lot of times you won't see red but a kind of "sparkling" white and then I switch to "black" hot. With "black" hot only I would miss seeing a lot of animals.

However, if I was on the edge of a clear field looking for movement, I'd skip the intalert and just use "black" hot.

Back