Dtech or Rainier barrel

Chris Lynn

I have started to compile the parts for another build and was looking for input from you guys. This one is for the fiancé as she has showed interest in going yote hunting, Plus she can shoot!! The 16 will be lighter for her and I will do all I can to make it as light as possible

I have never used either manufacture barrel but I know they both are great companies.

If I go with the Rainer barrel it will save me about 100 bucks. I always like saving money.

Both companies use Shilen blanks

Here is the rainier specs:

Rainier Arms UltraMatch™ .223 Wylde Barrel - 16

We wanted to build an AR15 barrel using the finest blank and mass produce them to bring them to market at the most competitive prices. Our UltraMatch™ barrels start out as Shilen blanks and contoured to our specifications. We wanted the best balance between accuracy while keeping the weight down as much as possible. It also features Shilen's Ratchet Rifling™ which allows for flatter trajectories and easier cleaning. We are so confident in our UltraMatch™ barrels that we will offer a 100% money back guarantee within 90 days of purchase. If you aren't completely satisfied with the barrel for any reason, return it for a full refund, no questions asked.
Features:
Stainless Steel Match Grade Shilen Blank
Length: 16"
Twist: 1:8
Thread Pitch: 1⁄2 X 28
.750 Gas Block Seat
.223 Wylde Chamber
Midlength Gas System
Ratchet Rifling™
M4 Feed Ramps
Proprietary Contour
Bead Blasted Finish
Weight: 2 lbs. 2 oz

Dtech Specs:

Select match grade

These stainless steel masterpieces of machining and hand lapping are intended for the competition shooter-- or even the hunter-- who wants the ultimate in accuracy and quality. These are our highest grade barrel and, of course, the most costly. What makes them so good that benchrest shooters, such as Tony Boyer, crave them? Consider this: To meet Select Match Grade criteria, the groove diameter must air gauge within .0003" of our standard diameter. Moreover, the uniformity of the bore cannot vary more than .0001" for the entire length of the barrel. These barrels are also completely stress relieved, and the bore is polished to a gleaming surface finish by our most experienced lappers.

I will be mating the barrel up to a squared Vltor MUR 1-a upper

let me know your thoughts

thanks

Chris

Last edited:
I know nothing about the Dtech barrels. However, the Rainier Arms barrels are getting good reviews for their accuracy. Rainier Arms are good folks to deal with. See if they can match the bolt to the barrel. That helps tighten up groups a bit.

I have a Lothar-Walther SS barrel that comes with a matched bolt and with good ammo, it shoots like a house afire!

Originally Posted By: MistWolfI know nothing about the Dtech barrels. However, the Rainier Arms barrels are getting good reviews for their accuracy. Rainier Arms are good folks to deal with. See if they can match the bolt to the barrel. That helps tighten up groups a bit.

I have a Lothar-Walther SS barrel that comes with a matched bolt and with good ammo, it shoots like a house afire!

Thank you for the reply.. I have heard great things as well about the rainier barrels. I need to contact them and see if they have match bolts or will match my bolt. That is one thing good about Dtech, he will match my bolt. I usually use White oak armament barrels but I am stepping outside my box and see what else I can build with.

I also have heard great things about Lothar barrels. Do you mind posting some specs of what you have? Also what are they charging for the barrels

thanks again

Chris

I got my L-W from Little Crow Gunworks a couple years ago for about $325 shipped including matched bolt. The barrel is a 20" HBar profile 223 Wilde with threaded muzzle. I cannot say enough about Little Crow's customer service. They bent over backwards to get me the barrel as quick as possible and did not charge extra. They also have an excellent limited satisfaction guarantee.

Little Crow often puts barrels on Gunbroker. Here is a photo of my completed rifle

DSC_0030.jpg

I can vouch for Rainier's customer service, they have a satisfaction garauntee on their barrels and they mean it! I bought one of the Select 308 barrels from them and it was terrible, so they took it back and sent me another. It was better, but not good enough. Sent it back and told them to send me the Shilen Match and to charge me the difference. They sent me the barrel at no extra charge, even though it was over $100 more than the one I paid for. Superb customer service, and yes they will check your bolt for headspace if you send it to them.

I can also vouch for Dtech, he's helped me out a lot with various projects, and I ordered a 25 wssm from him. Beautiful work for sure!

You can't go wrong either way with those 2 companies!

Thanks guys for the replies. I

It sounds like both are great companies. Since Dtech is a one man operation I went ahead and gave him a call. I figured it would be better to support him and what he is doing.

I went ahead and placed my order with Dtech this morning. After speaking with mike I chose a 6x45 18" barrel with HMC contour and it will be fluted under the hand guards with 1/12 twist. I already have all of the reloading equipment for the 6x45 as I already have a 22" 6x45 upper but it is a tank and now its a safe queen. It will be good to do my hand loads again and I am looking forward to seeing what Mike at Dtech makes me, He is a great guy and took his time with me on the phone. I really appreciate that and he has won my business in the future for sure

I will post pictures of the build once all the parts start arriving. I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks again for all of the input I really appreciate it

happy building,

Chris

A year or so ago, I was totally going with the Rainer ultramatch, Scott from Specialized ran a special on this forum on some fluted 5.56 1 in 8 twist match barrels. I bought an 18" middy for $ 275 shipped, it has been an absolute tack driver. Might want to see what Scott has hanging around.

I too can only vouch for DTech. I absolutely love my 25 WSSM that he built...antelope on the other hand don't seem to like it at all.

Several times in the past few years, as he comes out with a new caliber, I've considered having him build me something else. Then I think to myself, "why? I just don't think there is anything better than what I have now!"

Back