How much distance between stands?

scoutlover

I recently got into coyote hunting at night with a Turbo Dogg after frequent run-ins on my property. I bagged my first 'yote a few nights ago after hearing the local group serenade as I was coming home from work. After posting some pictures on Facebook of the coyote, I have gotten numerous calls asking me to hunt nearby properties (it's been a dream come true). Some of these properties are across a small street, some are across a major highway, some are a mile down the road, and a few are around 5 miles away (as well as some in another county). The properties range from 10 acres up to 190. I've not had success in calling any in on the first 2 of the new properties yet, but here is my dilemma. How do I effectively hunt these small properties that are in close proximity. Is the best way to go each one and just run the siren call or serenade and move on if I don't have an answer, or just try a 30 minute hunt on each one using the distress calls? And would you hunt both fields on both sides of the highway in the same night, or would you assume the coyote would cross the road? The land is banked so you would have to be in the middle of the road to see both fields. Also, after doing a 30 minute hunt, what is the minimum distance you would go before setting up again? And finally, the only times I've called coyotes in is when I've been home and heard them howling first. Do you use a locator call before each and every hunt? Thanks in advance for any help.

Try at least two miles between stands. If you have a number of properties very close try a rotating schedule to which properties you call.

I know a mile or two between stands is the conventional answer.

But, I have shot so many coyotes by only moving 200-300 yards between stands. It has happened many, many times.

Two miles or even one mile between stands is fine when you have almost unlimited public land to hunt on. If you only have a few hundred or thousand acres to call on, you can't do that.

I have moved 200 yards and called and killed stuff.

a lot depends on the county and lay of the land, and wind direction, you call will travel farther down wind than up, so if you hunt upwind you can make stands closer than if you are forced to hunt down wind.

that being said I try for 1/4 to 1/2 400-800 yards at least

Welcome to PM. A the top of the page you will find the search engine. Just type in what you want to learn about and you will find a wealth of knowledge to learn from. Also google ( varmint al ) another sight you will enjoy. Good hunting to you !

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickWelcome to PM. A the top of the page you will find the search engine. Just type in what you want to learn about and you will find a wealth of knowledge to learn from. Also google ( varmint al ) another sight you will enjoy. Good hunting to you !

That's not nearly as fun as asking your own question.
tt2.gif

I hate when the board Nazis try to bully people into not asking questions. There are several reasons why a common question should be asked again.

1. New people will see the question and respond.
2. New techniques and experiences can be explained.
3. New conclusions can be drawn.

No subject is covered completely on this board or any other board.

Ask away.

I have access to 400k+ acres of land and have moved 300 yards after shooting a coyote and shot another coming into the new calling set. Moved another 1/4 mile and called others.
A pal shot 5 on just 2400 acres in a day of not moving more than 900 yards from the last spot he shot one at. It all depends on the area & the coyotes IMO.

GJJ for your own info I am trying to help the new guy out showing him where he can get as much knowledge as possible as I don't remember you helping me when I was learning this sight, there are a lot of postings that will help them WITH OUT your 2 cents !!

No Pa. Mick, you just like to cyber bully people and boss people around because it makes you feel tough. Where you a hall monitor in high school?

No topic is over. You are not the boss. There is always something new to be learned on any subject.

Go back to beating your wife.

Last edited:
I did a search and it came up with 10 pages dateing back to 04, not thats its wrong to ask the same question over but it is a good idea to do a little search to help you if your looking for a current trend, just my .02

I have been reading and searching for a well over a month prior to posting. I had about 5 or 6 questions in the OP, and it's often frustrating trying to sift through all the old threads to find someone else who has the exact same scenario/question as you do.

I have been trying at least 3 times a week over the numerous properties I have access to and I (or the landowners) have yet to see/hear another coyote since I shot the one about 2 weeks ago. I know there are several more in the area because we have seen groups of 5 at a time prior to hunting. Is it common for the group to leave the area after killing one, or are there other factors at play such as birthing pups?

And while I'm asking duplicate questions, what is everyone's opinion on using a locater call before each hunt?

Thanks to all that replied for the help.

Scoutlover, here is my opinion.

Just call. I personally do not think anyone fully understands the coyote brain or what makes them come to the call. Tactics that are unsuccessful today, can yield coyotes tomorrow. Tactics that work in one area, do not work in other areas. Certainly, there are certain things you shouldn't do on stand (loud music, smoking, waving your arms wildly). My advise is to be pragmatic. Experiment. Try different things.

I have made so many "perfect" stands in areas I knew held coyotes with no success. Then, I have made several bad mistakes getting to the stand, mistakes setting up, and mistakes calling and still got a coyote.

Sometimes they just come when they want to. Make the best stand you can as many times as you can at different times if you can.

P.S. This is different advice than I would have given 2 years ago. I suspect I will have slightly different advice 2 years from now. Until we are all calling in coyotes 100% of the time, no topic is settled.

Last edited:
Back