Wad Wizard chokes?

I don't have any hands on experience so take this for what it is worth... I have read quite a bit about them and it seems they are as good as any other high quality choke tube. As good as - and just that. It doesn't seem they are setting the world on fire from the accounts I read from actual users. They keep pace with the best of the chokes out there but not better in any marked way. I don't think there is any clear cut product head and shoulders above all the rest at this time. We are still waiting for that breakthrough technology that will truly extend reliably effective patterns to the often quoted 70+ yard mark consistently. I wouldn't be afraid to try one with reasonable expectations of the shooting results.

They can be returned but only in the first 30 days if im not mistakin. I bought one of the long range tubes for a Remington spr 453 for use with steel shot for waterfowl and doves and lead for turkey. killed a turkey,couple geese and a few doves. 30 days not long enough for me to make up my mind but thats ok.So far i would say not worth the cost.IMO

Wad wizard are wad retarding choke tube and in my oppinion the WW choke tubes are the best choke of this type on the market, the STUD 10 ga choke is the one i have used the most and it as proved to me they outperform any of the pattermasters in both density of pattern and evenness of spread in loads up to a maximum of around 1350FPS once you reach this kind of speed pattern density starts to fall apart fast and by the time you reach 1500fps with most loads you could be excused for not realizing the loads were from the same gun. But if you want a wad retarder style tube you will not beat a Wad wizard.
The link at the top states..Walker's Wad Wizard® Choke Tube System - SRM Sure Cycle Products - Terror Shotgun Choke Tubes.. Now Terror Shotgun Choke Tubes.. are nothing like the wad wizard they are profiled constriction waterfowl choke tubes that in my experience are the very best choke tubes money can buy and i have tried many others. Much of my patterning as been with the 10gauge and invector +12s but i have seen the obvious advantages they offer in other guns and gauges too.

Unread reviews from others and they seem to have good results . But the one my buddy had was worthless maybe it was just messed up from where they made it. Idk

I used to be sponsored by Wad Wizard for a waterfowl outfit i hunted for. The owner of Wad Wizard Lorrie was married to the owner of Pattern Master (made her co owner). They got divorced and she got part of the pattent and started Wad Wizard. The only difference between WW and PM are ports. I had killed geese dead as a hammer at 60-70 yards with the Wad Wizard Supreme out of my SBEII that SuperSeal now owns. I also killed doves and pheasant all day with the Wad Wizard Swat. Great chokes and great people.

wvyotehunter68..It could be that your buddy was shooting a faster load over the 1350FPS at these kinds of speeds the wad wizard wad retarder tubes star to get more erratic,and this could account for your findings with the wad wizard. the terror chokes on the other hand are much more versatile and work with a broad range of loads and velocity variations. Some other chokes will pattern some loads as good as terrors as shotguns are fickle things, if i had to choose one choke though i would pick a terror over anything else out there.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned my interest would be for coyotes with buckshot in an 835.The chokes I have (Mberg and Kicks) pattern really well for other critters with both lead and steel shot.

I have them for my 10ga Browning Gold. Here is what I have found...they work a little different than a simple muzzle constriction. In fact most people can't get past the fact that there is no {as in zero} muzzle restriction at all. They tell you right on the website that you should not expect to see "tighter" patterns on paper. What the choke does do is help to get most of the shot on target at the same time. This makes for a much harder hit and quicker kill. I saw it best while hunting sea ducks. It is frustrating to hunt these things because you really dont want to spend the money on heavy shot, but a sea duck is a hard critter to slap down. Ducks come in and you can see a good solid duck in the middle of the pattern hit but they keep right on flying when using steel shot and a conventional choke. Screw in the WW and it's like smackin' flies out of the air with a giant swatter. No reason to believe coyotes would be any different. The chokes are high in price but well worth the money if you are hunting animals that can take a hit and keep on gettin' it.

Originally Posted By: msincI have them for my 10ga Browning Gold. Here is what I have found...they work a little different than a simple muzzle constriction. In fact most people can't get past the fact that there is no {as in zero} muzzle restriction at all. They tell you right on the website that you should not expect to see "tighter" patterns on paper. What the choke does do is help to get most of the shot on target at the same time. This makes for a much harder hit and quicker kill. I saw it best while hunting sea ducks. It is frustrating to hunt these things because you really dont want to spend the money on heavy shot, but a sea duck is a hard critter to slap down. Ducks come in and you can see a good solid duck in the middle of the pattern hit but they keep right on flying when using steel shot and a conventional choke. Screw in the WW and it's like smackin' flies out of the air with a giant swatter. No reason to believe coyotes would be any different. The chokes are high in price but well worth the money if you are hunting animals that can take a hit and keep on gettin' it.

Lots of chokes have wad retarding/stripping features and despite their claims neither Patternmaster or Wad Wizard is doing anything special in that area. Constriction isn't a bad thing as long as you don't over do it. In fact constriction is quite useful at times, such as when you want to shoot a center dense concentrated pattern for turkeys or predators. Wingshooters want 30” even patterns and so less constriction is needed. Just depends upon what the application is as to which choke you should choose.

Back