Ithaca Mag 10 and Remmy Sp10 question

realtree hunter

Well, after winning an auction on GB for a Remmy 1187 and then said auction falling through just over a week before Im supposed to go out of state on a turkey hunt, I sorta got back on this ten gauge kick I thought that I had gotten off of. Ive been looking at an Ithaca Mag 10 which Ive heard is the gun that Remington patterned their SP 10 after. Looking at the gun theres no denying they look identical on the outside but does anyone know how close they are internally? The reason I ask is because the one Ive found and am thinking of buying has a 32" barrel which is a bit longer than I want to turkey hunt with. So does anyone know if an Sp 10 barrel will work on a Mag 10? Are they that close? Either way Id have to get a barrel so does anyone know where I could find an Ithaca barrel?

I believe that they are the same. You could send the barrel to Carlsons Choke Tubes in Atwood Kansas and have it cut to whatever length you would like.

The barrels are not interchangeable. Remington bought the patent for the Mag 10 and modified it in some minor ways. I had one for quite a few years (actually 3 different ones) and sold my last one last spring. With the advent of heavier than lead shot, the 10 gauge became less of a player in the turkey game. I have a 11-87 that will put well over twice the shot in a 10 inch circle with Hevi-Shot than my SP-10 would with lead. No need to carry that heavy son of gun any more.

Originally Posted By: BangPopThe barrels are not interchangeable. Remington bought the patent for the Mag 10 and modified it in some minor ways. I had one for quite a few years (actually 3 different ones) and sold my last one last spring. With the advent of heavier than lead shot, the 10 gauge became less of a player in the turkey game. I have a 11-87 that will put well over twice the shot in a 10 inch circle with Hevi-Shot than my SP-10 would with lead. No need to carry that heavy son of gun any more.

Just imagine what you could do to a 10" circle with a quality
10 ga. launching 2.25 ounces of Hevi-Shot.
thumbup1.gif
Add
in a secretly modified Ballistic Products unslit TPS 1035
wad, some felt buffers, a mylar wrap, some #47 buffer, and
hold it in with an overshot card...Ol' Tom hanging up at
50 yards is about to have a bad day.

I have a Browning Maxus 3.5" 12 ga., and a Browning Gold 10
ga., both with quality turkey chokes. The 10 ga. always wins
the pellet counting game.

Squeeze

thumbup1.gif
Add

thumbup.gif

I guess, but he would have the same type of bad day if he did that in front of my Benelli SBE 12ga shooting 3 1/2" 1 5/8oz of hevi shot. An my gun is almost 5lbs lighter than any 10ga semi Ive ever tried.

If you really want the mighty 10 go with a Browning Gold. It's about a pound plus some lighter than the SP-10 and close to 2 pounds lighter than the Mag-10. Mag-10's usually had longer barrels, most being 32" and did not have screw in chokes. The only thing that beats a 10gauge for payload is an 8 gauge...period end of story.

Just out of curiosity, what is the recoil like on the SP10, the Mag 10 and the Browning Gold 10? Ive had a sxs 10ga and have a bps 10 and nither of them have kicked as hard as any of the 12 gauges (with 3 1/2") that I've shot.

My Browning Gold 10 felt recoil is less than my Browning Maxus,
but the Gold 10 weighs 10.25 lbs, and the Maxus sneaks
in under 7lbs. The Maxus recoil is sharper, the Gold 10
is more like a push. About the only time the Gold 10 recoil
is noticeable, is when shooting REALLY heavy turkey loads.
Then you want to make sure you have a good mount.
rolleyes.gif

Squeeze

I think the SP10 is supposed to pattern better. I have one with a rhino choke in it and have way layed a turkey with it but have never patterned it. I usually take my 935.

The frame on the SP10 is a lighter version of the mag 10, The SP10 had a grove milled in to the bolt spring link bar where it goes in to the rear spring tube, to try and elevate the damping effect of burnt powder and debris that can build up in the bolt spring tube causing malfunctions this little mod worked very well and stopped the problem, other than that they are the same from what i can tell. I have had both and prefer the mag 10 and prefer the Browning gold 10 to both of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SqueezeOriginally Posted By: BangPopThe barrels are not interchangeable. Remington bought the patent for the Mag 10 and modified it in some minor ways. I had one for quite a few years (actually 3 different ones) and sold my last one last spring. With the advent of heavier than lead shot, the 10 gauge became less of a player in the turkey game. I have a 11-87 that will put well over twice the shot in a 10 inch circle with Hevi-Shot than my SP-10 would with lead. No need to carry that heavy son of gun any more.

thumbup1.gif
Add

I have a Browning Maxus 3.5" 12 ga., and a Browning Gold 10
ga., both with quality turkey chokes. The 10 ga. always wins
the pellet counting game.

Squeeze I tested some Hevi in my SP-10 before I sold it. Rhino choke and all the barrel mods and it would not shoot any better numbers than my 12 gauge. That extra 1/4 ounce of shot did not seem to find its way to the center of the target. If one wants the ultimate turkey whacker, look no further than TSS. The ranges that can be shot with that stuff is IMO unethical. The maximum range that I felt comfortable shooting with my SP-10 with lead shot is surpassed by AT LEAST 15 yards with Hevi-Shot out of my 11-87. I liked my 10 gauge in my younger years but favor the gun/ammo I have now and give up no distance. Good discussion.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: jase The frame on the SP10 is a lighter version of the mag 10, The SP10 had a grove milled in to the bolt spring link bar where it goes in to the rear spring tube, to try and elevate the damping effect of burnt powder and debris that can build up in the bolt spring tube causing malfunctions this little mod worked very well and stopped the problem, other than that they are the same from what i can tell. I have had both and prefer the mag 10 and prefer the Browning gold 10 to both of them.
Jase what is it about the Gold you feel makes it the best of the bunch?

Back