6.5 grendel bolt action

ksduckhntr

I am in the process of trading for a savage 10fp in 308. I already have a 308 and want something with a little less recoil but not a 223. I am thinking of the grendel as a nice easy to shoot cartridge out to 500 yds. I have a cabelas near by so I can pick up ammo when it's available. Since this is my first bolt gun rebarrel do I need a new bolt face and barrel to make this work?

Originally Posted By: ksduckhntrSince this is my first bolt gun rebarrel do I need a new bolt face and barrel to make this work?

I'm pretty sure the bolt head is the same, but you will definitely need a new barrel. If you are set on a 6.5 than I would look at some other cartridges. The Grendel was designed mainly for a gas gun. Since you are building a bolt gun, you may want to look at the 260 or 6.5 creedmoor.

I WOULD! I think a 6.5 Grendel/LBC is the only AR specific cal. I would want in a bolt action. The bolt head is different then either the .308 or the .223 rem.

I have wanted a Grendel bolt action rifle for some time now. I own a Grendel in an AR platform and really like it. But I would like to make a lightweight medium game rifle out of the Grendel cartridge for mid-range shooting and for a fairly inexpensive target practice rifle that provides minimal recoil for a long day of fun.

But before you say "hey, why dont you just use your AR?" It is because it weighs over 10lbs and I really dont want to lug that thing around the mountain

Here is a pic of my Grendel in case you are interested
http://utahwildlife.net/forum/download/file.php?id=23966&t=1

I like the light recoil of the round and am putting it in a nice sturdy tactical style stock. Ammo when around is cheaper than any of the other 6.5 variants people throw out during this sort of discussion. Low recoil+ good ballistics = a fun day of plinking around in my mind. Just need to find out the bolt face and magazine issues if any.
Bax- nice rifle. I like the skip flute style handguard you have. Wish they had it in the ar10 platform but ended up with the troy battle on my 243. Looks just like your 6.5

Last edited:
You are not limited to mag length with the bolt gun, so you can actually seat the bullet out further and get more from the round. You could run the 140's if you wanted for the ballistics. Could be a fun gun for sure.

Build one off a cz 7.62x39, a rem 700 and buy a new bolt with the pic bolt face from ptg or buy a ppc bolt head for the savage.

Originally Posted By: BaxI have wanted a Grendel bolt action rifle for some time now. I own a Grendel in an AR platform and really like it. But I would like to make a lightweight medium game rifle out of the Grendel cartridge for mid-range shooting and for a fairly inexpensive target practice rifle that provides minimal recoil for a long day of fun.

But before you say "hey, why dont you just use your AR?" It is because it weighs over 10lbs and I really dont want to lug that thing around the mountain

Never sold huh?

Originally Posted By: Clayne_BOriginally Posted By: BaxI have wanted a Grendel bolt action rifle for some time now. I own a Grendel in an AR platform and really like it. But I would like to make a lightweight medium game rifle out of the Grendel cartridge for mid-range shooting and for a fairly inexpensive target practice rifle that provides minimal recoil for a long day of fun.

Never sold huh?

No sir. Funny thing is lots and lots of guys have called and said they cant live without this rifle. Then their wives find out how much it costs, and then they never come over to buy it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ksduckhntrI am in the process of trading for a savage 10fp in 308. I already have a 308 and want something with a little less recoil but not a 223. I am thinking of the grendel as a nice easy to shoot cartridge out to 500 yds. I have a cabelas near by so I can pick up ammo when it's available. Since this is my first bolt gun rebarrel do I need a new bolt face and barrel to make this work?

If you have a savage, you need a PPC bolt face. There are several places to get them. For the barrel, one place to get one is competition shooting sports the 6.5 CSS is the 6.5 Grendel with a .295 neck instead of a .300. The barrels are Lothar Walther. Some people love them, I have no experience with them however. But they do have ALOT of experience with the Grendel. The appeal of the Savage is that you can do it yourself, which I fully understand.

Now, if I was to make a Grendel bolt rifle, which is on my list once I get out of school and pay some bills off, I would use a Remington 700 action or a Model 7 action. Some have made them on the CZ 527 action and that would be a good one as well, but I just can't get over their backwards safety. Just remember, you need a PPC / 7.62x39 bolt face. In a bolt, you can load it to higher pressures (especially with the Lapua brass), easily run 140's and seat them out to a longer COL. Sounds like a great project and post pictures when it's done.

Back