6.5DTI

yotehunter243

What would you say the optimal barrel length is for the 6.5DTI? What is the optimal bullet weight for these? I'd like to try to shoot in the 120gr range. Not a whole lot of info out there on them yet and this is going to be my windy day calling rig and medium game rig.

I have been using the 6.5DTI as my primary do all coyote/deer rifle the last two years. So far I have killed 9 whitetails and 6-7 coyotes, and 1 bobcat with it. The barrel on mine is 19" per my request-don't know if that is optimal but I wanted a handy length but one that would get the blast away from my ears a bit as this is a hunting rifle. I use the 85g Sierra bullets for coyotes and 100g Nosler partitions for deer(I happened to have a good supply of this bullet when I got the upper). The Sierras are a pure hammer on coyotes-a lot more noticeable whack than a .223. The 100g Noslers work well on deer-no complaints-usually a pass through but 2 stayed in the deer. Some bang flops, some short runs, some staggers and falls. Typical from most any other caliber that I have used. You will find that bullets heavier than 100g use up powder space in the case. You are limited to the magazine length of about 2.300 with a PRI mag-which generally allows the longest oal of any of the 6.8mags. Although the new CProduct Defence mags will pretty much allow 2.300 also, are reliable, and are a lot less expensive than the PRIs(which are excellent mags). I am confident my coyote loads would be instant death for a deer hit in the chest but haven't used a 'coyote specific' load on a deer yet. Thats my take-I really really like my 6.5-it turned out to be all I wanted in a mythical all purpose TN predator and whitetail rifle. Do you have your 6.5 in hand or on order? Mine is the 1st one that Mike built.

Im in the "planning" stages but will most certanly have another AR off the 6.8. Im really looking hard at the 25 as well as the 6.5. I was hoping to get to the 120gr range with the 6.5 but doesnt sound like i will be able to. I did see Nosler has a 110Gr accubond in 25 cal with a B.C. of 418 which would be a promising medium game round id think. I already have a 20Practical and a 6x6.8 with a 9 twist so i was looking for something to shoot the heavier bullets.

The 6.5 Grendel/.264 LBC would be the way to go if you want to shoot heavier 6.5 bullets out of an AR15. The shorter fatter case allows longer bullets within oal parameters that interfere less with powder space.

Being a cheap sob at times
grin.gif
I try to use the basic bullets. The 100g interlocks are ~ .975" long and fit the oal requirements and my seating depth preferences as do the 100g Nosler partitions. I have pulled the plastic tips from 100g ballistic tips and that brings them down to ~ .904. I wouldn't expect any noticeable decrease in ballistic performance on game at the ranges I shoot. The 120 NBT w/o tip measures ~ 1.052 so that would be doable too but I probably don't want to give up the velocity. Seeing as how the 6.5 bore is a great performer on game the lighter bullets can and have worked great for my applications. I sent Hornady an email requesting the nominal length of the 100g A-max. I'm sure it would be a great accurate bullet and not be too much longer. Accuracy in my rifle has been a non issue-all the bullets I have tried shoot better than I can hold in field conditions.

I was wondering if anyone was pulling the tips out the bullets. I wish someone would make a decent hollow point for this application. Sierra makes the Gameking which is a nice bullet but the BC sucks

Back