RCBS 10-10 or 5-0-5

RonB

I am going to buy a new scale. I have an old Lee safety scale, and a Lyman 1000xp electronic...the Lee is over 20 years old and just worn out. It has no repeatability and the same load that was perfect zeroed, when set back on the scale will be high or low...it seems where the powder sits in the pan affects the needle..the unit is clean and on level bench.

I load in my pole barn, and the building is not temperature controlled, so firing up a heater in winter and an ac in summer is not so good for electronic scales... the Lyman seems to wander some and a perfect 36.4 gn load when poured back in the scale to check again will now read 37.1 or at least be a few tenths off.

I was set on buying a RCBS 10-10 today and contacted RCBS to ask some questions before purchasing. The rep advised the 505 is just as accurate as the 10-10 and easier to use. I was surprised as the 10-10 is by far the most favored beam scale on forums. I was also told the 1010 is no longer made by Ohaus and is now made in Mexico. The rep also free of charge is sending me new agate bearings for a 5-10 that I am cleaning up for a friend...That impressed me a lot!

Can anyone give me some input on this. I only want to buy once and want the best beam I can get.

Thanks,
Ron

I can't speak for the 10-10, but I absolutely love my 5-0-5. I picked it up at a pawn shop a while back, and prefer it over my digital. I too have been banished to the shed, and don't have the best reloading conditions, and it seems to hold zero very well, measure accurately, and doesn't wander like a digital. Loads are repeatable, which is paramount to me.

Originally Posted By: RonBI am going to buy a new scale. I have an old Lee safety scale, and a Lyman 1000xp electronic...the Lee is over 20 years old and just worn out. It has no repeatability and the same load that was perfect zeroed, when set back on the scale will be high or low...it seems where the powder sits in the pan affects the needle..the unit is clean and on level bench.

I load in my pole barn, and the building is not temperature controlled, so firing up a heater in winter and an ac in summer is not so good for electronic scales... the Lyman seems to wander some and a perfect 36.4 gn load when poured back in the scale to check again will now read 37.1 or at least be a few tenths off.

I was set on buying a RCBS 10-10 today and contacted RCBS to ask some questions before purchasing. The rep advised the 505 is just as accurate as the 10-10 and easier to use. I was surprised as the 10-10 is by far the most favored beam scale on forums. I was also told the 1010 is no longer made by Ohaus and is now made in Mexico. The rep also free of charge is sending me new agate bearings for a 5-10 that I am cleaning up for a friend...That impressed me a lot!

Can anyone give me some input on this. I only want to buy once and want the best beam I can get.

Thanks,
Ron

I have my Ohaus made 5-0-5 since the mid 60's and the beam will move with ONE particle of H-332 - it will accurately weigh to 1/3 of 1/10th of a grain.

I have used the 10-10 ,5-0-5 and the 5-0-2 .all are repeatable and good . I like the 10-10 but my main unit is the 5-0-5.

I have read a lot today about a scale tuner in Ca. named Scott Parker who said he cant/wont tune the mexico made scales. Seems everyone who loves theirs has had them long enough that they have the Ohaus made scales. I really havent heard anything about how folks likea the new ones. I spoke to Parker on the phone today and I'm leaning toward one of his older tuned 505's.

Does anyone have one of the newer 505's or 10-10's? If so, how repeatable and accuate is it?

Thanks for the replys!!

I have an old Ohaus (tan colored) 505 and it's always been spot on... I check it with some small check weights that I have, and as long as you keep the poise and knife area clean of dust and such, it works great.

I also have a 502 RCBS that came with a Partner reloading kit I got about 15 years ago, and that scale also works just fine. Again, keep the scale clean and it'll stay accurate.

I have a slab of marble tile that I set my scale on, which seems to help it stay zeroed while on the surface of my messy (
shocked.gif
) bench...
smile.gif

Dan

Dan,
Your not the first person that has mentioned setting the scale on marble. Last night I had to crawl up in the attic for a piece of marble tile left over fom my foyer. It did seem easier the level the scale with.

when i first started reloading last year i have the 505,used it a month,then bought the rcbs chargemaster como,but it seemed ok,just not as fast as the chargemaster

Thanks for the replys folks.
I ordered a Scott Parker tuned Ohaus 505 this morning. Now just have to suffer the 4 weeks or so wait time for a custom scale. My wife says I have problems with delaying gratification! Then again she also states I also suffer from extended adolesence.

Last edited:
Back