birds of prey

wvyotehunter68

Have u guys noticed the comeback of hawks and owls etc mostly hawks. There destroying the squirrel and grouse population in my area. I see them all the time attacking squirrels. I saw 4 grouse since September and they had a hawk above them in a tree which I scared the hawk luckily. I figure there killing baby turkeys a lot to and what ever else. There is just to many of them

We have been calling in red tailed hawks and golden eagles every time we have went out this season. There are more of the birds of prey now than I have ever seen before.

Same with me seems like every stand I call in a redtail hawk. Sometimes 2 or 3. I even called in what I believe was a piebald redtail hawk it was almost all white but Idk if there's a such thing. But it sure did look like it. Never saw a hawk like it before.

I have never called in a owl or eagle yet. I don't think we got very many eagles in my area I hear owls all the time but never called one in. Id like to call in a bald eagle that would be pretty cool.

Originally Posted By: wvyotehunter68I have never called in a owl or eagle yet. I don't think we got very many eagles in my area I hear owls all the time but never called one in. Id like to call in a bald eagle that would be pretty cool.

Till they take your decoy,lol

Originally Posted By: wvyotehunter68I believe was a piebald redtail hawk it was almost all white but Idk if there's a such thing. But it sure did look like it. Never saw a hawk like it before.

osprey

There needs to be a open season. I understand they serve a purpose but they are way overpopulated. Maybe a disease will emerge and put a hurting on them.

You know we have been having a muskrat decline here in PA in some areas. You would never believe the culprit. They just found this out recently after more studies. The decline has been partly do to the Blue Heroin crane. They sit at the muskrat den and gobble up the babies when they come out.To many of those also. This is what happens when you let a species get out of control. But mother nature will control the balance in her cruel way.

Ever since they outlawed DDT pesticides in the US in 1972, the raptor species has been on an upswing. I have called in Owls at night and hawks in the daytime but never an eagle.

I love to see them, but like most are saying, there is now too many. I agree. I don't think you'll ever see a season on them in any of the 50 states......

Last edited:
+1 on the blue herons. I don't understand how any animal stays protected when they are overpopulated. DDT kept them in check. We use to be loaded with rabbits and quail. When they outlawed DDT everyone shot every hawk on site. Now few shoot them and we have tons of hawks and no rabbits or quail. Wildlife Resource Agencies sure don't earn their money.

I see tons of redtail hawks and a lot of bald eagles when the geese are coming through. I called a bald eagle in close enough I could hear its wings. I was sitting on a river bank and it came in right over the top of me.

predyotevarmint,
You are right the Great Blue Heron is very distructive in what they kill. I worked in Lancaster county years ago and had a friend that raised beautiful trout in two ponds below Quarryville, Pa. He also had one pond with Largemouth bass in it. The trout pond had running water in it and was about two and a half ft. deep, but the bass pond was about 11 ft. deep so tyhe herons could get the trout. He allowed me to fish for the bass catch and release. Well one day he said he see's blue herons getting his trout and asked me if I would start shooting them....I said I'd like to but they are protected. He said he didn't care, he wanted them dead, costing him too much for replacing trout. I said if I saw some I'd do it, but I never had any intention on killing any and never did. I just told him I didn't see any, or I saw one flying over now and then but wopuldn't land. He knew I always carried a pistol but thats all.

I called in a pair of bald eagles the last day of our coyote season! But havnt seen a rabbit in a month and havnt seen a qual or a muskrat in a year!

I believe.there needs to be a open season also . Some people already think it opens season all year long. I have saw plenty of dead one stuck in trees on backroads. Actually just saw one 2 days ago. I guess poachers are good for something

Originally Posted By: wvyotehunter68I believe.there needs to be a open season also . Some people already think it opens season all year long. I have saw plenty of dead one stuck in trees on backroads. Actually just saw one 2 days ago. I guess poachers are good for something

True true sir

Back