Ruger American Review

from-a-grand

I bought a Ruger American in 308 at my local shop a few months ago with the intention of parting it out on a "frankenstein" bolt gun I am building. But I decided to scope it and put it through a few days at the range to see how it functioned first.

Factory rifle with a Pentax Gameseeker II 3-9x40, Weaver Grand Slam Steel Rings and a cheap Rock Mount Bipod.

Trigger broke at 4.3 lbs out of the box with VERY little creep. I adjusted it down to 3.5 and the creep disappeared. I like that you don't need a special "key" to adjust it as I always seem to misplace my accutrigger "key". I shot Fusion 150 gr SP's and after zero-ing it I was printing .67" to 1.1" groups off a bipod and sand bags. The stock needed to be sanded in one spot as it flexes a little too much and touched the barrel when resting on the bipod. For being less than $500 for everything on the rifle I was so impressed that I decided to keep the gun as it was and Hunt with it. It shoots consistent enough groups with factory ammo that I am sure hand loads will be even better and it is perfectly designed for carrying in the field. I would not want to punch paper with it all day as it is a bit light and bucks pretty good as a result, but for a "just hunting rifle" It fits the bill perfectly...

I was actually so Impressed that I sold my beloved M77 and bought another American in 22-250 for my walking varmint hunting. I put that together the day the gunshop got it in with a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 Accu-Range with Weaver Quad Lock Rings... WHile set-up as-is it comes in over the $500 mark by a ways, I will still call it a "Bargain Bolt". Will give the range report when I get a chance to get her out as well.

I have owned a Marlin XL7 and shot a few Axis Models, and currently own 2 Savage 111's and I have to say, out of the box the Ruger American was the most impressive for me. My only complaint is that the stocks are a little too flexible and need to be sanded right away, which is a VERY minor complaint.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I have been impressed with the looks and handling(in the gun store) of the RAR. I have several much 'nicer' rifles but was wanting a utility truck, tractor, atv rifle for coyotes and the Ruger looks very attractive-plus I like Rugers anyway. Basically all the reviews have been very favorable especially in terms of accuracy. I have had an order in at my LGS for one in 22-250 as soon as I saw that chambering announced. In fact I, probably along with a million others, sent a request to the Ruger CEO to offer the American in 22-250 with a 10" twist-now they have. I will be interested in your review of the 22-250 after you have some range time.

I picked up a Ruger American 243 Win at my son's gun shop just to look at it. I couldn't believe how light it was!

If they shoot good they would be a great rifle to carry around all day.

The 1-10" twist in the 22-250 makes it a much better rifle for heavier bullets and lead free bullets too.

I have owned two Tikka rifles in 308 and 223 and outside of the metal finish and stock being spongy they are very comparable in function, styling and handling. The Ruger magazines are slick and better IMO and it.doesn't hurt that they are reasonably priced to buy an extra mag.

I can't wait to get out with the 250 and see how it performs.

Also, I shot 14 rounds of Super X 150 gr SP ammo that same day (left over box from my Steyr that hates them) with groups about the same with a few more stray shots... they shoot quite a bit dirtier than the Fusion stuff

Last edited:
Got the 250 out last night. I didn't bore sight the scope so getting zeroed in was a little more time consuming but it cycled identical to the 308, the only ammo I had on hand was Sellier and Bellot 55 gr Boat Tail Spitzers, which worked out phenomenal. I zeroed ad 50 yds, 1 inch hight, shot at 100 and printed a .44" group, adjusted the POI to 1" High @ 100 and it was dead on with a .75 inch 3 shot group at 200 followed by a .87" group. This stock didn't touch the barrel out of the lead sled, so it required no sanding at all. That leads me to believe that either A.) It is a hit and miss issue with getting a rifle that the stock touches on or B.) Ruger corrected the problem in there more recent rifles as 22-250 is a fairly new offering in the American series for Ruger.

The recoil of the 22-250 did knock my sight picture off target past 100 yards on anything over 5x on the Redfield Scope. Which is my next piece. The Revolution scope was DEAD on at 1/4" adjustments at 100 yds. The knobs felt loose between clicks but it proved to be a non-issue as it adjusted and held zero flawlessly. The scope was crisp, clear and had no "Frame" around the scope. Eye relief is the best of any scope I own, and I would definately recommend this scope for anyone in the market for scopes up to the $300 mark. I have not tested the Accu-Range set-up for ranging accuracy but I will in the future. I didn't have enough day light to try it. A+ for ruger and Redfield and if Anyone is looking to set up a similar rifle I can say without hesitation it was the best $650 I have spent on a rifle combo!

Now to get it our on some song dogs!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the review I've been debating on getting one for a pickup gun/backup gun. I ordered myself one from the local FFL today. I really wanted to get a compact one but he can't seem to find any in stock thru his suppliers.

I hear nothing but good or great things about the Ruger American Rifle. It has gotten to the point where it is spooky! I think I'm gonna look around to see if I can find anyone that had one perform poorly!

I am flat out impressed. I would love if they made a stainless version, as the finish looks to me like it would easily rust if not tended to quickly after coming in from the cold or wet... That is the only concern I have with them. My local dealer told me that he is struggling to get anything ordered that has "Ruger" on the box. I had the 22-250 bought before it came out of the back room where he sorts his orders!

Yeah, they will probably will do a stainless version before too long but it will cost more. For the price difference you might end up being able to get a good coating put on the base rifle. I'd look at cera-coating it in a lightish green or a tan/flat dark earth color if the original finish really stated giving me problems.

I have one in 270. With random reloads with 150gr bullets, getting 1.5" groups. Should be able to improve that with load development.
I also sanded the barrel channel.

Originally Posted By: Jeepdude1987Yeah, they will probably will do a stainless version before too long but it will cost more. For the price difference you might end up being able to get a good coating put on the base rifle. I'd look at cera-coating it in a lightish green or a tan/flat dark earth color if the original finish really stated giving me problems.

Agreed. I had the barrel/Trigger assembly of my Benelli M1 done for $125.00 locally last year... After years in the duck blind it was looking ratty so I had it done in "dark earth" and it looks sharp. I would do the 250 in Sand or something along those lines but the 308 is gonna stay black if I were to go that route.

Originally Posted By: highbrowI have one in 270. With random reloads with 150gr bullets, getting 1.5" groups. Should be able to improve that with load development.
I also sanded the barrel channel.

I am not a fan of 270 but the Savage I had was a 10" twist and I had a hard time getting groups I liked with anything over 130 gr.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review on the 22-250. I am hoping I get one that shoots that well. Can you tell if it has a 10" twist? I saw some Internet rumors that it really has a 14" twist and the 10" twist was a typo on the specs. I hope not-but I will get one anyway.

I am also intrested in a 243 version, Did you notice any barrel overheating effecting acurracy? I had a rem 700 223 with a sporting barrel and after 3 shots you couldnt hit a 20oz bottle at 100y lol. It was very acurate before it got hot though and im scared to get another gun like that. Thanks

When I.shoot for groups I am pretty firm on giving a 30 second break between shots and cooling before shooting another group. But just shooting off the bipod and my shoulder(which allows for human error 100%) I still kept 3-4" groups @ 200 shooting as fast as I could chamber rounds and get back on target with the 22-250. I didn't try that with the 308.

Last edited:
I bought a Ruger American in .243 and am not that crazy about it. It will shoot 1.2 inch groups with 58 gr. Vmax but I was hoping for a little better and its closer to 1.75 groups with 87 gr. Vmax both with IMR4350. 3 inch groups with factory federals when the barrel was green. Gun is particular about the load. I usually lean toward lighter loads. 3000 to 3100 fps. is usually fast enough for me. Was shooting .9 groups when I could get 70 gr. sierras and Varget and that's acceptable for a $450 gun. Gonna trade it for a Tikka.

Back