25 souper

treedogguy

Hello fellas, i was wondering if any body on here reloaded for the 25 souper. I just happen to come into one. Im kinda excited to get it.
Thanks for any input John

That sounds like a rare round, very custom. You better take enough ammo on the hunt, I doubt if your buddy will have any extra.

I don't know what twist rate you have there... probably a 10 twist?

Data will be somewhat scarce, but I'd probably study .243 win and .260 Remington *starting* data, with like weight bullets--extrapolate between the two--and go up in small increments, looking for accuracy nodes.

The cartridge is a .308 necked down to .257 caliber, as you probably know.

The "souper" moniker might be partly responsible for its ho-hum reception to the shooting community, as shooters like names like "magnum," and "swift," and such... as opposed to something that for many of us would evoke thoughts of chicken and noodles and the Campbell's kids singing "mmm-mmm good..."
smirk.gif

...then we have the .257 Roberts already well ensconced when the "souper" comes on the scene, with the 25-06 right there as well for folks who want more quarter-bore than the Roberts could give them.

That all said, the 25 Souper is going to be a capable cartridge, and should be able to get you velocities close to what the 25-06 can deliver, with less powder and recoil.

Dan

I have one with 1:13 twist shoot 85gr and under best accuracy have been with 75gr Vmax bullets.

Disclaimer these loads worked in my rifle and I do not claim these loads to be safe in any rifle.

75 gr bullet varget powder start 39.8 gr max 42.2 Hard to open bolt above 41.5 grns

75 gr bullet N150 powder start 42 grns max 44.4. I chronied the 42 grn load at 3368-3397 before chrony crashed.

I have other loads for 85 grn bullets in my notes at the camp. I am going out there today and will check in next week when I get back. I shot a nice 7 point in the neck/shoulder at 135 yds with the 85 grn flat nose DRT. Deer did a 180 when hit, golf ball sizes exit.

Give me a little time and I can dig up my wilcat books that show this cartridge. I can find what was loaded for this in the past, then you can go from there, I think I have 2 books that should show this cartridge in them. It may be tomorrow because I have to move my new safe into my house today. 785lbs, help is coming.

My father-in-law built one up years ago on a nice small ring Mauser action and a pretty Birdseye maple stock. Nice shooter, and I wish I had it today, but someone stole it years ago.

It's certainly a reloader's cartridge, but throws a larger, heavier slug than the 6mms Brass is easier to find than for a 257Bob, you can make it out of any old 308. I'd bet you can beat the Bob in velocity without all the recoil of the 25-06

I always thought that was a neat round. But I'm holding out for a Savage with a WSM bolt so I can build a .257 Pronghorn...

Originally Posted By: treedogguyHello fellas, i was wondering if any body on here reloaded for the 25 souper. I just happen to come into one. Im kinda excited to get it.
Thanks for any input John

Tel me the bullet weights and I will give you loading data.

Originally Posted By: treedogguyI would like something in a 75 grain bullet and something in the 120 grain range thanks for any information

75 gr - 4007ssc start 45gr max 52-ish velocity ~ 3675
120gr - H4831 start 42gr max 47-ish velocity ~ 3050

Thanks for the info. All the help is welcome. Im trying to order p.o. ackelys books and find a sqare reloading book.
But thank ya for the help.
I tried to post a picture of my souper but cant figure it out. Sorry.
But it is a sako L579 with a mcgown barrel and a laminated stock.

Last edited:
I love the fact that the .25 Souper is "almost equal" to the .257R. In a long action the Roberts is more versatile for heavy bullets (get the right twist).

Can you tell I love my .257R!!!

Back