anybody ever hunt in MEXICO ??

howler

I haven't heard of anybody talking about coyote hunting south of the boarder, can I just drive down with my gun and start calling and shooting???

NO NO NO !!! Less your interested in spending the rest of your days in a Mexican Prison !!

It's against Mexico's laws to import a firearm or ammunition for that matter !

You have to get a permit etc... to import a firearm. In fact most guides keep their client firearms over there 365.. and recommend that clients not go through the trouble of trying to import their own firearms.

Not only that.. but there's plenty of coyote/bobcat/mt lion hunting on this side of the border ! If you get down this way.. just say so and we'll go do some callin' !

--Steve

Mexico is in a time warp, hard to believe how good the hunting is, down there. But, it isn't feasible anymore, and the drug interdiction is totally dangerous, they have boys with M16s that shoot first and ask later...for money, that is. It's the SSS situation. I have hunted it, but I don't know if I would ever go back, you literally leave your rights at the border. Everybody is on the take, the red tape alone can drive you nutts. We still have a gun catched down there, but I bet old Pedro has departed this vale of tears, hard to say where it might be?

Go there in your dreams, they are tame, a Mexican wouldn't waste a cartridge on something he couldn't eat, and the coyotes are only afraid of rocks thrown at them, it's almost too easy.

Good hunting. LB

I know there is small isolated towns in northen Mexico where a guy could live like a king and hunt coyotes by the hundreds, but it sounds like it might not be available, I'll keep after it, would be a great way to spend jan. Feb.

Leonard is right on about the guys carrying the M16's and willing to shoot. So far I haven't seen the drug carriers shooting, but the Federalies seem to be carrying the same weapon and are just as willing to shoot.

There is supposed to be some paperwork you can fill out and get a permit to carry a gun into Mexico for hunting. I've been thinking about stopping in at the Consulates office to check into it.

I'm kind of with Leonard on this, If I do get the permits, I will pick my stands more for personal safety than for coyote availability.

There is a road all along the North side of the Border here. The International Boundary in most places is nothing more than a broken down 6 strand barb wire fence. One of my favorite ways to hunt is to travel down this road, pull over every couple of miles and call 50 yards or so North of the fence. Many of the coyotes I call in I watch come through the fence. There seem to be enough of them that I can call the same stands 2-3 weekends in a row with success each time.

Back