Difference Between V-Max and Z-Max Bullets

mark85304

There is little information on Hornady site describing the Z-Max bullets. From what I can gather, the Z-Max bullets are for small varmints and the V-Max are for predator size vermin. I also read the V-Max are Match bullets.

What gives with the Z-Max vs. V-Max thing?

Explosive Hornady® performance comes in every Z-Max™ bullet specifically designed to vaporize zombie varmints.
Ultra-flat trajectories send mangy menaces to the varmint graveyard.
Combined with AMP™ jacket technology, the Z-Max™ bullet is built to...MAKE DEAD PERMANENT!

Z-Max ..... "Making Dead Things Deader" lol lol I think the tips are colored differently, I couldn't find any thing to say diffeent!!!!

There has been a huge push of Zombie stuff lately....AR's, AR accessories, scopes, gun cases, bullets, etc............

Apparently someone knows something we don't!

7.62x39%20VMAX%20vs%20ZMAX.jpg

Originally Posted By: SShooterZThe one on the right looks like a flat base bullet and the one on the left looks like a boat tail. Different bullets maybe?

Definitely different bullets.

The "Z-Max" on the left has a thick jacket in the rear, and a thinner jacket in the front - this is classical hunting bullet construction, like Remington Core-lok.

The "V-Max" on the right has a much thinner jacket, and it is thin all the way - classical varmint bullet construction.

Somfin smells at Hornady.

Originally Posted By: CatShooter

Somfin smells at Hornady.

I agree. hornady told me personally on the phone and via email that the bullets are the exact same thing.

Has anyone tried emailing the picture of the cutaway to see what they say about it??

I can tell you that in the 17 cal variety, I have shot them interchangeably with no notice in group difference at 100 yards.

Might have to test some box V-Max vs. some Z-Max and see how they group. (Don't know if that would mean anything or not though.)

Also, looking at that pic, it appears that the V-max has a cannelure, maybe part # 22272 which is a flat based V-Max with cannelure and the one of the left does not, maybe a BT Z-Max part # 22262... That of course would also indicate they are of a different weight.

Not knowing anything about bullet contrusction, would that difference in weight and/or cannelure call for a difference in jacket thickness?

I think either one would work fine for both cases, predators and Zombies..
I was out last weekend and set out some left over paint cans filled with water, and shot them at 100yrds
1. Shot one with a FMJ, nothing happened, the bullet went right through and it just jumped a little and tipped over.
2. Used a V-max bullet, the can flew into the air about 20 feet and completely ripped apart.
3. Zmax bullet did about the same thing.

Lesson learned, if you want to transfer energy and put a hurtin on something you are shooting, use the balistic tip bullets.

I just wish i had them in Afghanistan.

Back