Opinions on CZ Redhead Deluxe O/U

one_timer

I'm considering the purchase of a CZ Redhead Deluxe in 12 Gauge with 26-inch barrels. My intended uses include occasional sporting clays as well as fairly serious upland hunting. Any experience or opinions that you may have would be appreciated.

I had one. It's nice, but no Red Label... And nowhere near a Browning.
I sold it at a loss as it became a safe queen.

ETA: I understand there may be nicer O/U's than a Browning, but that's the nicest one I've owned... This is just my opinion.

Last edited:
I have one in 20ga and it's a nice little shotgun for the money. My wife shoots it when we go out for informal trap shooting. I've used it on a pheasant hunt or two. It's light and handles well. No, it doesn't have the feel of either of my Citori's but it didn't have a Citori price tag either. For the money it's a good shotgun.

I have both a 12 and a 20. Same as everybody above says, good for the money, but high-end they are not. The finish on the wood could be a little tougher, as I aquired a couple of "beauty marks" in the field. Otherwise, no problems at all. Benelli choke tubes have the same thread pattern as tegh CZ.

No where near the quality of their rifles as they are Turkish made. QC on them can be hit or miss. For the money, not bad, but not a high volume gun.

The one problem that most lowend doubles have is the single selective trigger and they can be hard to repair. If you need to stay in the under 1K range you might want to look at the Mallard version with the double triggers.

I use a CZ Bobwhite SxS double trigger and it has been a great gun, it is my saltwater duck gun and works great.

Personally, I would save my money and buy a good used B-gun... Beretta or Browning depending upon which fit you best. You can usually pick up a nice solid B-gun for around $1200 - $1400. It might have some honest wear on it and a few beauty marks but mechanically it will be fine.

Originally Posted By: AWSThe one problem that most lowend doubles have is the single selective trigger and they can be hard to repair. If you need to stay in the under 1K range you might want to look at the Mallard version with the double triggers.

I use a CZ Bobwhite SxS double trigger and it has been a great gun, it is my saltwater duck gun and works great.

That's good advice right there.
My buddy brought one over wanting me to replace the recoil pad. After tinkering on it for awhile, I wasn't impressed.
Bout as low end as I'd go on an O/U whould be a Red Label. Matter of fact, that's allot more gun for the money than people realize. I like em better than the "B" guns, and I've owned all three.
I would however, take a chance on one of CZ's little SXS's in 20 or even 28ga.
Luck

You can fine good deals on used B guns right now, everyone is obsessed with autos and tactical shotguns. The problem with B guns is they are so nice people are afraid to take them hunting. Buying a used gun with a couple of dings helps take the first scratch pain away. I've got a Citori 16ga and it is a sweet shooting shotgun.

Thanks for the info guys. I am a "function first" user so I am going to seriously consider a used B-gun. Whether it's dinged or not, it will be put to use.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Not to HI-Jack....but what about SKB shotguns? They seem rather nice...

They are superb shotguns and very good deals can be found on them. SKB made high grade shotguns for both Ithaca and Weatherby. Every bit the quality of a Browning, jump on one if you can get if for a good price.

Back