Hornady Dies

beller

I purchased a set of Hornady Custom Grade dies for my 308. The sizing die seems to be extremely hard to get the shell to go into. Once you do get the shell to go over the football shaped expander and deprimed, it is even harder to get the shell to exit the die. I set the die up according to the instructions and the zip spindle is set so that the deprimer pin is set at the proper length below the bottom of the die. I checked the length of each case before runnning them through the die and they were all right on the money, after runnning them through the die they all came out just a shade to long. The die actually stretched the cases, maybe this is supposed to happen, but none of the other dies I have do this. I'm new at reloading and ain't really sure, but this just don't seem right. Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong or as to what I need to do? I'm using once fired Federal brass. I know that this probably ain't the best brass but I have quite a bit of it and it's what I've already got, without having to hunt for and buy new. Thanks

You may have already done this but, did you clean the dies before using? Most dies come with a coat of grease for rust protection. Just a thought.

What type of lube are you using? If you have not cleaned the die then do so. I know that when I am resizing 243 cases I have to give them a little more lube on the neck and shoulder area otherwise they are super tough.

Deaddog, you must have posted while I was typing, I use the RCBS case lube. I don't lube the inside of the neck, as this would affect the powder, but I think this is where my problem lies. Thanks

You can use mica or graphite lubes for inside the neck lubrication for sizing. Polishing the mandrel may help also.

Tried cleaning the die and it was still so tight that I thought I was going to break the press off the bench trying to get the shell out. Something else must be wrong, I think I'm gonna start all over and reset it up to see if I may have something adjusted wrong.

First you do need to lube inside the neck and the case. There are many lubes that work well. It just sounds like you are using enough lube. Just try more lube and get inside the neck. If your brass starts to wrinkle then you have used to much lube....Jason

O and yes your brass will stretch after you full length size. I am surprised you have not seen that yet. You just need to trim your cases.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bellerI purchased a set of Hornady Custom Grade dies for my 308. The sizing die seems to be extremely hard to get the shell to go into. Once you do get the shell to go over the football shaped expander and deprimed, it is even harder to get the shell to exit the die. I set the die up according to the instructions and the zip spindle is set so that the deprimer pin is set at the proper length below the bottom of the die. I checked the length of each case before runnning them through the die and they were all right on the money, after runnning them through the die they all came out just a shade to long. The die actually stretched the cases, maybe this is supposed to happen, but none of the other dies I have do this. I'm new at reloading and ain't really sure, but this just don't seem right. Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong or as to what I need to do? I'm using once fired Federal brass. I know that this probably ain't the best brass but I have quite a bit of it and it's what I've already got, without having to hunt for and buy new. Thanks

First off, what press are you running?

Second, you should always brush the case necks before sizing. This gets the extra carbon and powder residue out of the neck. They make nylon brushes just for this. Don't lube inside the neck It is not necessary. Brushing out the necks with a dry brush will make a huge difference.

RCBS lube is fine to work with, but what are you using for a pad and have you seasoned it? I use a product called G-96 now that is much better. It is a light oil and is more effective than standard lube, IME.

When you size brass, the dimension of the brass is changed back to close to the factory size [when set up per instructions] that brass has to "flow" to some where. It shows up in additional length. This is normal.

More and better lube coupled with brushing the inside of the necks will make the world of difference.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: bellerI purchased a set of Hornady Custom Grade dies for my 308. The sizing die seems to be extremely hard to get the shell to go into. Once you do get the shell to go over the football shaped expander and deprimed, it is even harder to get the shell to exit the die. I set the die up according to the instructions and the zip spindle is set so that the deprimer pin is set at the proper length below the bottom of the die. I checked the length of each case before runnning them through the die and they were all right on the money, after runnning them through the die they all came out just a shade to long. The die actually stretched the cases, maybe this is supposed to happen, but none of the other dies I have do this. I'm new at reloading and ain't really sure, but this just don't seem right. Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong or as to what I need to do? I'm using once fired Federal brass. I know that this probably ain't the best brass but I have quite a bit of it and it's what I've already got, without having to hunt for and buy new. Thanks

Second, you should always brush the case necks before sizing. This gets the extra carbon and powder residue out of the neck. They make nylon brushes just for this. Don't lube inside the neck It is not necessary. Brushing out the necks with a dry brush will make a huge difference.

RCBS lube is fine to work with, but what are you using for a pad and have you seasoned it? I use a product called G-96 now that is much better. It is a light oil and is more effective than standard lube, IME.

When you size brass, the dimension of the brass is changed back to close to the factory size [when set up per instructions] that brass has to "flow" to some where. It shows up in additional length. This is normal.

More and better lube coupled with brushing the inside of the necks will make the world of difference.

G-96 is great for lubing cases prior to firing, but it is too light to use for sizing fired cases, and it will stick one from time to time - I use RCBS-II (water soluble lube) for sizing fired cases.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: bellerI purchased a set of Hornady Custom Grade dies for my 308. The sizing die seems to be extremely hard to get the shell to go into. Once you do get the shell to go over the football shaped expander and deprimed, it is even harder to get the shell to exit the die. I set the die up according to the instructions and the zip spindle is set so that the deprimer pin is set at the proper length below the bottom of the die. I checked the length of each case before runnning them through the die and they were all right on the money, after runnning them through the die they all came out just a shade to long. The die actually stretched the cases, maybe this is supposed to happen, but none of the other dies I have do this. I'm new at reloading and ain't really sure, but this just don't seem right. Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong or as to what I need to do? I'm using once fired Federal brass. I know that this probably ain't the best brass but I have quite a bit of it and it's what I've already got, without having to hunt for and buy new. Thanks

G-96 is great for lubing cases prior to firing, but it is too light to use for sizing fired cases, and it will stick one from time to time - I use RCBS-II (water soluble lube) for sizing fired cases.

I have used RCBS lube for a lot of years and it does work very well. Lately though the G-96 is faster, easier and for that matter smoother for me. Not even a hint of sticking a case, but then again I always have used case lube and have still managed to stick a few. It can happen.

Lube those cases!

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Smokeless

I have used RCBS lube for a lot of years and it does work very well. Lately though the G-96 is faster, easier and for that matter smoother for me. Not even a hint of sticking a case, but then again I always have used case lube and have still managed to stick a few. It can happen.

Lube those cases!

I have lubed over twenty million 223 and 308 cases with RCBS-II (Bought it by the gallon)... never had a case stick, or even hint of sticking.

I'm using an older Lyman Spar-t or Special-T press. It's the one that has 6 spots for dies on a rotating platform. I didn't brush the inside of the necks, I'll try that in a few minutes. I'm also using the RCBS lube pad. I just put the lube on there and rubbed it in then rolled the brass back and forth through it. I haven't seasoned it, didn't know I needed to. I also didn't know that the brass would come out of the press longer, the 223 that I reloaded came out fine. I put the 308 through the caliper before I put them in the press and they were exactly what my book called for, after pulling them out they were to long. (Not by much)

Thanks gentlemen. I just went down and brushed a few necks out and they worked a little better, still gets very tight at the bottom end of the case as it's going into the die but it comes out alot easier, and they were the right length also, won't have to trim them yet.

Never could get my dies working like I thought they should. everything I tried helped, but the cases were just to tight. I ended up sending them back to Hornady. Got them back today and just had to see if they got the problem fixed. They worked great. Just worked up a few loads and just waiting now to get out and see which one shoots the best. The only problem now is my curiosity, they never told me what the problem was.

It sounds like they had the wrong expander ball in the die. You shouldn't even touch the expander ball on the way IN with a fired case.

"Once you do get the shell to go over the football shaped expander and deprimed, it is even harder to get the shell to exit the die"

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: bellerI purchased a set of Hornady Custom Grade dies for my 308. The sizing die seems to be extremely hard to get the shell to go into. Once you do get the shell to go over the football shaped expander and deprimed, it is even harder to get the shell to exit the die. I set the die up according to the instructions and the zip spindle is set so that the deprimer pin is set at the proper length below the bottom of the die. I checked the length of each case before runnning them through the die and they were all right on the money, after runnning them through the die they all came out just a shade to long. The die actually stretched the cases, maybe this is supposed to happen, but none of the other dies I have do this. I'm new at reloading and ain't really sure, but this just don't seem right. Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong or as to what I need to do? I'm using once fired Federal brass. I know that this probably ain't the best brass but I have quite a bit of it and it's what I've already got, without having to hunt for and buy new. Thanks

Lubing the inside of the neck may not be necessary but it sure makes it easier to extract the expanding button.

I also use RCBS Case lube 2 and have never stuck a case yet.

Heck one time just for fun after sizing several cases I deliberately sized one with out being lubed. Quite a bit harder to run it up into the die but it went and came out as easy as a lubed case , I sure wouldn't want to try two unlubed cases in a row.
scared.gif

DAB

I run about 10 rounds through the die ans they worked perfectly. I did lube the outside of all the cases but not the inside of the neck. Really didn't need to they went in and came out easy. I looked the die over pretty close and couldn't see anything they did. I know it's the same die because of some scratches I'd put on the knob. I guess they could have replaced the expander ball. Whatever they did it worked and they did a good job doing it, I can't see any thing that looks differently.

Back