Opinions on a Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter

Daman

Guys - I have an honest question.

I ordered a Model 11 Trophy Hunter Saturday, but today the gun shop called and said they had a Model 25 Lightweight Varminter come in if I was interested in it to come on by and have a look. This rifle is gorgeous in my opinion and feels great in my hands!

I need some honest opinions from those of you who have/had Model 25's about these rifles. I know they aren't the 10/11/12/16 action but I am not going to be swapping barrels and customizing. I just want a 204 that I can shoot paper and predators with. I am looking for 1 MOA out of factory loads as a minimum.

Thanks!
Daman

I have a 25 walking varminter in.17 hornet and it shoots really well. Not the prettiest gun on the block but will probably out shoot them. 5 shots 150yards.
20130307_154858-1_zpsec227f8e.jpg

20130311_224605_zps84364de0.jpg

The Walking Varminters are some really nice shooting Rifles,if Your getting it in the .204 Caliber I would try some Federal Loaded 32-35 grain Sierra Blitz Kings,the weight and way the SBK's are made make them shoot and group great.If You re-load and want a little heavier bullet the 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings are great too!

I'm shooting the Federal loaded 39 grain SBK that they quit loading and went to the lighter bullets,great groups at 100 yards and plenty of knock-down power for Coyotes!

i have one in .223, may be the most accurate rifle I own.

I really like it, not a pretty rifle, but it shoots really well.

Good Luck

Well I went in and looked at the Model 25 LV and the Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP side by side.

I walked out with the Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP with a Nikon BDC Prostaff in 204 Ruger. I just couldn't get past the Model 25 action compared side by side with the Model 11 action.

is 499.00 a good price on the model 11 package ? looking at one in 243 the reticle is alot more fine than the other nikon bdc's i have looked thru. it's not marked pro staff, is it one? the ones in the case say pro staff on the objective bell. thanks

The scope on my 204 is identical to the other prostaff scopes I have. It is not marked as such though.

I paid $525 for mine and a box of Hornady V-max ammo.

Yeah as soon as I am sure I like the 204 caliber, I am going to put a Boyds Thumbhole Laminate Forest Camo or Apple Jack on mine.

Good decision on the Model 11. I think you'll like it. I can understand wanting a prettier stock, but for a calling rifle you may get used to that lighter stock. I'll be interested in hearing how it shoots for you. Keep us posted.

just got back, bps matched the 499.00 they are closer to me. the only .243 loads they had was win 55gr balistic silver tip, fine. 31.99 a box. got 2, bore snake, skinney claw sling od green 29.99 wheeler scope mounting kit 1'' and 30mm 119.00 weaver gs high rings 20.88 , dont like the big screw heads sticking out on the stock rings. these are weaver bases i hope! LOL dont mind the looks of the stock, its the flex. oh well, this will be my first camo job. keepin my fingers crossed.

Originally Posted By: DamanWell I went in and looked at the Model 25 LV and the Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP side by side.

I walked out with the Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP with a Nikon BDC Prostaff in 204 Ruger. I just couldn't get past the Model 25 action compared side by side with the Model 11 action.
Whew, that was close! I just saw your thread today and was hoping to warn you away from that Savage 25. You did the right thing by not buying that p.o.s. re-worked rimfire. I'm on my second LW Varminter in .17HH and it shoots 3 inch cold-barrel flyers, just like the first one did. There are other owners with the same problem on other forums. All seem to have in common a heavy burr around edge of the barrel opening; whether this is causing the problem remains to be proven. But it just shows that Savage QC is very poor, or just that they treat their lower end products - and the buyers of them - as second rate. Maybe they should take a little of the millions of $ they spend on CEO pay and slick-paper ads touting the "accuracy" of their rifles, and hire another machining or final inspector. Trouble is, they probably already eliminated that job to give a a bonus to some bean counter or lobbyist.
To paraphrase Taylor Swift: I'm never, ever, gonna buy a Savage again.

I bought a 25 in the 17 Hornet and I must say, it shoots good, real good even with factory ammo. But what a cheaply made piece of crap ! Action is sloppy and operates rough, doesnt feed very well either. I think it would be a great gun for someone who wants a cheapy. Luckily I found a Ruger 77 and its on its ways. We have a store here that sells the Hornady ammo and actually has a bunch on hand for 18.95 per box of 25. By the way I paid a lot lot more for the Ruger.

Well I really like the Model 11! I shot it at 100 yards and the first shot was 2" right and 3/4" high. I moved it over the 2" and shot 3 more. Grouped in a cluster at 3/4" high at 100 yards. Moved back to 200 and held dead on. Five shot group measured .78 outside to outside with my digital calipers.

We started busting water bottles at 250 easily with it. This is a very accurate rifle - especially for the price. I am shooting the Hornady 32 grain V-max ammo until my reloading supplies get here.

good to hear. have not got to shoot mine yet. did you adjust your trigger? pretty sure the kids and i are gonna paint the stock when it warms up, maybe the whole thing if the stock turns out well. congrats.

Back