243 and Benchmark?

Mark_in_MO

Has anyone tried this powder for the 243?....I'm running low on Varget and have about 9plus pounds of Benchmark. My manual shows it for the lighter bullets

Mark

IMR 3031 works great in the .243 for bullets 75 grains and lighter.

The Benchmark is very close in burn rate to 3031.

Look for accuracy nodes around 39 grains with 75 grain bullets, and 40 grains with 55 to 60 grain bullets. 39.5 grains with 70 grain bullets should work well...

All of this assumes Winchester brass... drop by 1% with Remington cases.

Work up from safe levels, of course, and check this data by a couple sources.

Dan

Originally Posted By: dan newberryIMR 3031 works great in the .243 for bullets 75 grains and lighter.

The Benchmark is very close in burn rate to 3031.

Look for accuracy nodes around 39 grains with 75 grain bullets, and 40 grains with 55 to 60 grain bullets. 39.5 grains with 70 grain bullets should work well...

All of this assumes Winchester brass... drop by 1% with Remington cases.

Work up from safe levels, of course, and check this data by a couple sources.

Dan

Sounds like you have done this before, my book only shows up to 70grn bullets but was wanting to try some 62's n 65's....maybe the Hodgen site will show more

Thanks very much...hope this powder shortage ends soon!!!!

Mark

Well I managed to make it back out to the farm and try some loads with the Benchmark, conditions were windy 15-20mph, bullets were 65gr V-Maxes

First load, 38gr of Benchmark 3 shot group measured outside to outside was ½ inch..= .26 group
Second load 38.5 Benchmark 3 shot group measured outside to outside 7/8inch (suspect I pulled one) = .5 group
Third load 39 Benchmark 3 shot group measured outside to outside 7/8inch = .5 group
No pressure signs at all….Should I push’em harder?

Keep in mind this is a Tikka T-3 stainless laminate with I guess a medium contour barrel and Vortex LR 4X16 scope….and it was very windy!! Needless to say I am very happy since I have so much Benchmark on hand, 9 plus pounds…..cant find Varget anywhere!

You should find the next accuracy node with the 65's just under 40 grains... if you haven't had any pressure signs just yet, you should be able to make 39.8 grains, see how it goes...

This is a great powder for the .243... I've used a lot of 3031 over the years in the .243, and as mentioned, the Benchmark is very close in burn rate to it.

Dan

Originally Posted By: dan newberryYou should find the next accuracy node with the 65's just under 40 grains... if you haven't had any pressure signs just yet, you should be able to make 39.8 grains, see how it goes...

This is a great powder for the .243... I've used a lot of 3031 over the years in the .243, and as mentioned, the Benchmark is very close in burn rate to it.

Dan

Thanks Dan....I will try working it from 39grs up to 40grs...interesting about the accuracy nodes, I normaly quit at the first node, no wonder why my guns are so slow lol!

Going to have to try it with the .223 I stopped at 24 (60gr V-Max) with the Benchmark, 24.5 opened up so did the 25....24 chronys at 2800fps and the "Black Hills" 60gr V-max shows 3000fps

Thanks again

just watch for pressure signs, and stop there, of course.
smile.gif

google OCW load development and you'll find my pages here and there on the 'net... it'll explain the node thing--as well as give the reasons why most rifles end up liking very similar load recipes...

Thanks again...that is a very interesting read! I will be trying the OCW method, just have to finish reading the rest of the articles

You might be hearing from me in the future
smile.gif

Back