Alternatives to the Benelli SBEII?

I have the original super black eagle that will still hold the fourth shell "floating". I love it but I have never had all of my guns combined jam as much as this gun. Yes I keep it cleaned and lightly lubricated. I even installed the stainless kit. It has even jammed on turkey loads. Go figure

I have had the SBE2 for nearly 8 years and love it. My buddy that I hunt a ton with he shoots that Beretta Extrema and he swears its better than mine. Of course I'm biased. The only issue I have had with mine is when its dirty and sub-zero temps that bolt carrier needs to be flicked to put it in position to recycle the shell. Over all: Never been disappointed with it

If your not going to shoot 3.5s you could check out a Franchi Affinity. They are a divison of Benelli with very similar action. I know several guys that are using them with no issues.

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGI know I'll catch some crap for this but.....my buddy bought a Stoeger M3000 this year. We hunted hard in extereme conditions. I'm talking dirt fields in dirt pits, snow, mud, corn stubble, wheat stubble and tempreatures well below freezing. He never had one single problem and he paid less than half of what my Benelli was new.

Edit- I should add, that he killed a lot of birds and shot a bunch of rounds.

That being said, I wouldn't sell my M2 and go buy a Stoger but I would buy one in a heartbeat if I was in need of an auto loader shotgun.

He's a member here and I bet he chimes in.

X2 That would be me. Great gun for under $500 and not a problem yet.

I have a Stoeger M3500 and I love it. I bought it at bass pro a few months back for $549. It came with 5 different chokes and so far I have not had one issue with it. I have never tried any loads below 1 oz. but from 1 up I haven't had any problems at all. So far for anything I have shot through it has been flawless. I didn't install the recoil reducer, doubt I will because I haven't once wished I had.

With remington #4 buck shot and the stock extra full choke I get the average of the following shot in a ten inch circle: at 30 yards 27-28 , at 40 yards 21, and at 50 yards between 9 and 11. That is standing and free handed, never tried off a tripod or rest, figured I would not use shooting sticks for the shotgun for coyotes so I decided to not pattern it that way.

With turkey loads I would be very comfortable taking a shot at 50 yards, and could shoot out to 60+ but I know if 50 in, no problem.
Great gun for a price, haven't regretted not saving up for a benelli yet.

Reliable as a Benelli? Hmm, I know a few people who dislike theirs. For the money, you won't find a better gun IMO than the Winchester SX3. I've shot my buddy's and I love it, shoots great. But seeing as how the new Browning A5 has a 5 year 100,000 rd warranty and uses a similar action as the SBEII, you should check it out. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Best advice that I can give you is get some people that own the Shotguns that you are interested in and try them out. What one person says over another is personal opinion and lots of people are name brand happy.

I personally have a Beretta Pintail and Benelli Super Black Eagle.

Have had both for over 10 years and would not get rid of either. My brother has a SBE II and doesn't like it at all but loves my SBE I.

Lots of good things being said about the new Beretta's so try some out.

All I can say is I shoot a Benelli SBE 2 and my dad shoots a Beretta Xtrema II, both shoot great. But whatever fits you the best. If you want a SBE 2, wait for one to pop up.

I agree with Satcho, try them out if you can. I went with the SBE2 because it is light and swings nice for me. Might not be the same for someone else. Just see what whats comfortable.

Honestly, I do not believe there is an alternative to the SBE-II. Hold out for it; you will never regret the purchase. It's the last of my firearms that I will ever part with.

Originally Posted By: Catchin ZsReliable as a Benelli? Hmm, I know a few people who dislike theirs. For the money, you won't find a better gun IMO than the Winchester SX3. I've shot my buddy's and I love it, shoots great. But seeing as how the new Browning A5 has a 5 year 100,000 rd warranty and uses a similar action as the SBEII, you should check it out. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

If you are just upland bird hunting it is a good shot gun(sx3). If you are hunting in dirt pits while goose hunting most people I know with them got ride of theM because once they get a little dirt in them. They are a single shot. Inertia is the only way to fo IMHO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: one_timerHonestly, I do not believe there is an alternative to the SBE-II. Hold out for it; you will never regret the purchase. It's the last of my firearms that I will ever part with.

If you can afford it

X2

Originally Posted By: Triple BI have the original super black eagle that will still hold the fourth shell "floating". I love it but I have never had all of my guns combined jam as much as this gun. Yes I keep it cleaned and lightly lubricated. I even installed the stainless kit. It has even jammed on turkey loads. Go figure

That's too bad. I have an old SBE 1 and it almost never jams.

I want a SBE 2 but I can't really justify it as long as my old one still rocks.

My buddy has a winy SX3. It is a quality gun.

For the money I would consider a beretta al 390, or 391. They are very nice as well and can be found used for a good price.

I have the SBE and love it. Look for a used one at the gunshops and keep looking on the interenet you will find one for a decent price. I just saw a SBE in good condition sell for 600 so you can find good deals out there.

Back