fleshing board, rack and Knife recommendation

Chris Lynn

I have started to put some dogs down and I really want to skin as many as I can. I hate to just leave them. I really would like to start to save all of the pelts.

Looking for recommendation on what fleshing boards, knifes and drying rack you all use.

Do you buy it all or do you make some of it? Let me know your thoughts

thanks

Chris

Last edited:
I would suggest that you look for a beam of wood that is 6-8" wide and about 2" thick. cut the shape the same as a stretcher. Then take an old 5 gallon bucket and cut the bottom out of it..
I then round the top of the beam to match the contour of the bucket. The goal is to make it just curved enough so that it doesn't have a flat spot.
For coyote it really only needs to be about 3' long.
a fleshing knife that is 12" ( http://www.mckenziesp.com/Fleshing-Skinning-Tools-C1927.aspx ) wide helps with the wide open area's, and a set of the victornox (sp) the guys that make the swiss army knives is all you "need" The fleshing knife is about $20, and the taxidermy knives are $5. http://www.mckenziesp.com/VK3-P11932C1849.aspx

here are some video's that i made to kind of help..
there are 3 in the series
Here are pics of the beam.
DSCN0551_zpsa8be51ef.jpg

DSCN0550_zps10420b3d.jpg

DSCN0500.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2labsBuy a good fleshing beam,a Necker knife and a good DVD on fur handleing!

Good Idea on the DVD, any recommendations?

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI would suggest that you look for a beam of wood that is 6-8" wide and about 2" thick. cut the shape the same as a stretcher. Then take an old 5 gallon bucket and cut the bottom out of it..
I then round the top of the beam to match the contour of the bucket. The goal is to make it just curved enough so that it doesn't have a flat spot.
For coyote it really only needs to be about 3' long.
a fleshing knife that is 12" ( http://www.mckenziesp.com/Fleshing-Skinning-Tools-C1927.aspx ) wide helps with the wide open area's, and a set of the victornox (sp) the guys that make the swiss army knives is all you "need" The fleshing knife is about $20, and the taxidermy knives are $5. http://www.mckenziesp.com/VK3-P11932C1849.aspx

here are some video's that i made to kind of help..
there are 3 in the series
Here are pics of the beam.
DSCN0551_zpsa8be51ef.jpg

DSCN0550_zps10420b3d.jpg

DSCN0500.jpg
\

T,

Thank you for the great reply. That video and pictures really helped me out. I will copy yours for sure.

Question about the beam and the contour, Do you slide the bucket over the beam and use a rasp or sander to match the contour? For the point of the beam do you just eye ball that or what did you use a gauge for the angle of the point? I am probably over analyzing it, its what I do
wink.gif
Also, what type of wood is your beam made out of.

Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate your posts and your Pm's

Kindest regards

Chris

Last edited:
I can vouch for the below that have served me very well.
Fntpost.com has a good online catalog to look through. You can build or buy, but it pays to do it right the first time. Good luck.

Fleshing knife - Necker 600
DSC00585.JPG

Fleshing beam - Freedom Brand Wall Mount Fleshing System
603.jpg

DVD - Practical Fur Handling with Tom Osborne
516YPE6EACL._SY300_.jpg

Stretcher(s) - good quality adjustable wood
297.jpg

Don't forget the odds and ends.

- Rubber/vinyl apron really helps.
skinning%20apron.jpg

- Long shank aluminum push pins to hold tail open on stretcher
push%20pins.jpg

- Box of borax to assist drying "armpits", face/ears, etc.
20MuleTeamBorax.jpg

- Fur brushes/combs to remove burrs, etc. before fleshing
sfc-1.jpg

- Box of nitrile gloves
nitrile_MED.jpg

- Tail "puller"
13036751132031612226500.jpeg

Last edited:
Due to back problems I have gone to the Blue English System.
http://www.molnaroutdoor.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=be712
One can do a search and find numerous videos on its use. The verticle board takes the streaching trama off the spine.
I use wooden adjustable boards and as the posts above mention include the gloves, apron and misc. etc..
Granted like anything else buying the equip. means a cash outlay but it is returned many time over in the future.
Roy

I've only seen the push pins like above at trapper supply places - they have a long shank. I should also have mentioned that they are also handy to tack up the ears.

Great replies everyone, I really appreciate all of the feedback and recommendations. I will be making a few purchases for sure.

I was thinking of trying to make a fleshing beam from PVC. Not sure yet but it looks easy to make.

I will have to wait until winter to get the good furs but its good to get it all know and buy it slowly

Thanks again

The best place I have found to purchase the push pins are from trapping supply vendors. Some hardware stores handle them but they need to be at least 5/8" long. Stay with the metal heads instead of plastic versions. The plastic will
pull off the pin when removing them from the board and pelt.
Roy

Sportsmans wharehouse had the pins in stock.

I like the wall mounted fleshing beam, but i like being able to push down and use gravity.

Back