Alaska Predator Hunt!

woodster_yote

IMG_0363_zps2566b8dd.jpg

Last week a buddy and I headed north to Alaska. We've done this winter hunt a few times with the goal is to get a wolf. We arrived in Fairbanks and headed south two hours to meet up with Midnight Sun Safaris. We've known Coke Wallace for a few years now and he is the one you saw the Foxpro boys hunt with on Furtakers the past few episodes.

He had a pack of wolves spotted before we got there so we were pretty stoked. We headed out on snowmachine to set up camp. It's about a 25-30 mile ride. We left around noon and after one machine broke down, we made it to camp just after dark. The next morning we woke up to 20mph winds. We headed 6 miles downstream to try to locate the wolves and set up a few snare sets on some recent kills. We then played some wolf howls even though it was windy. We immediately got 2-3 responses. After 30+ minutes with no movement in -15 degree weather with 20+mph winds we decided the wolves didn't want to move or come into us.

The next few days we traveled at least 75 miles on snowmachines doing stands, checking traps, and looking for tracks. We never did hear from those wolves again and figured they moved out that night.

We started seeing a lot of cat tracks in one area so we did a few stands with rabbit distress and the decoy. One area had lynx cat tracks everywhere. After 22 minutes we spotted a lynx cat sneaking in. I had my 243ai and my buddy had a 17hmr. I pointed out the cat to him and he dropped it at 50 yards. It was pretty sweet watching that lynx come into the decoy and made for a great day!

IMG950367_zpsd2f9054d.png

Here is the first Lynx

The next day we went to the same area and since there was just one day left for the lynx season we thought we call for more cats. We stopped on the river and set the decoy and foxpro in the middle of the river and sat behind our snowmobiles. Again after 20 minutes I spotted a lynx cat sneaking through the willows. It was across the river from us with her eyes locked on the jack attack decoy. I had my 243ai again but didn't want to put a huge hole in it so I signaled for the 17HMR. Since the cat was directly across from us and the decoy was inline I was nervous the cat would spot us just past the decoy. We moved really slow and I lost the cat in the thick of the willows. My buddy didn't ever spot the lynx so he was no help. I finally got the 17hmr in my hand and saw the cat staring straight at us (well the decoy, but it looks like us since we were behind our yellow and red machines). I slowly pulled up the gun and popped the cat at 75 yards.

IMG_0369_zps05d5536d.jpg

Here is the 2nd Lynx

It was pretty sweet watching those long legged lynx cats come into the call like that. Some days it would be nice to have thick, fluffy fur like that to keep warm.

We never did kill any wolves but one of the snare sets have a bunch of wolf tracks around it but nothing in the snares. It was a great trip and anyone looking to do a winter predator hunt needs to hook up with Coke Wallace . He does awesome winter hunts as well as fall sheep and bear hunts. Hopefully here in a few years I can make it on a sheep hunt. The northern lights were out and Mt. McKinley was on the horizon. It made for an awesome hunt and great scenery.

IMG950752_zps2272d083.jpg

Here is a wolf he trapped two weeks before we got there. Pee Post with a foot hold!!

That's to awesome. Those cats are to cool looking. What a trophy. I wish you had some more pictures. If you do post them up. I have never been a fan of pictures when a animal is held that way but who cares what I like. Post more pics if you got em. Congrats.

Originally Posted By: hoovertx4I use to live in Alaska, Seeing your pics makes me want to move back up there.

me too.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Thanks!! It was a good time.

My buddy brought a 300 WSM and the 17 our guide let him carry too in case we came across some cats.

Below are some pictures from last year in the same area, I didn't take many pics this year.

GOPR0113-1.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

Coke.jpg

This is what happens when you fall through the shelf ice on the river.

GOPR0127-1.jpg

Wolf tracks!! The top black boots are size 13 Baffin Polar boots and the lower boots are my size 11 bunny boots.

IMG_0022.jpg

Alaska fur is somthing else,so much nicer than anything in the lower 48.Alaska was my dream from 3rd grade until I got married,that pretty much snuffed out the dream. Ive made it up there twice and it's hard to get out of your system.Thanks for the great story and pictures.

My parents live on Kodiak Island, I have been there fishing for silvers which was awesome to say the least, but a fox hunting trip is in the works as we speak. Great pics awesome story, and I am glad to see there is proof that a 17hmr is good enough to kill more than ground squirrels. I love my 17hmr and use it night hunting for fox whenever I go. It will probobly go to Alaska with me as well.

Back