Best Riflescope For $600

Gerbs

I would like to purchase a new riflescope for a custom build .243. The rifle's primary purpose will be coyote hunting. I have owned a lot of Monarchs and like them. Just seeing what you guys would suggest in the $600 price range give or take $50. Please give me your opinion as to what range of power you would go with also. I currently have a 4-16x50 Monarch that I could put on a different rifle.

Originally Posted By: 1up5downI would look for a used Leupold or Sightron SIII.

You betcha. When your scope has a lifetime warrantee it don't matter a whole heck of a lot if you buy it new or not.

Lots of good used ones that that price range and depending on power even lower sometimes.

How does Sightron measure up to a Monarch in your opinions? I owned a Sightron III 10-50x60 at one time and thought that was a great scope. I don't know if the optics were awesome or not but was so impressed with zooming in on a target with 50x! How are the normal powered scopes?

My Sightron SII is one of the better scopes that I've found...I used to have a 4-16x Monarch and sold it as it just didn't meet up to what I'm used to using..

Depending on your intended use, I'd stick with a 3-9x or even a 2-7x unless you are anticipating some really long shots...Not sure what kind of land you have in WI other than the hills and valleys I've driven through...

Mostly big tracks of woods and swamp here. I do set up on some larger fields for coyotes and could possibly get 300 yard shots. You are probably right, I don't need anymore than 9x but I like shooting a little more distance on paper. I'm building a custom .243 and want to see what it can do but allow me to hunt yet.

Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 AO fine duplex $537 shipped from custom gunsmith James Calhoun. Call him. Then send it to Leupold's custom shop for $97 CDS elevation adjustment turret with 1/4 moa markings and zero stop if you want included. That's what I just did, $634 total including tax and shipping etc.

Optics and adjustments are pretty good in a Weaver Super Slam. Worth consideration. Have a couple of them and certainly wouldn't mind buying another.

i would recommend the bushnell elite 6500. about $650 on gun broker right now. very good glass, side focus, positive turret adjustment, can reset the turrets to zero with no tools, lifetime warranty, fairly small and light weight compared to most of my other scopes, 2.5 power on the low side is nice 16x on the high side.

http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/elite-6500/elite-6500-2-5-16x-42mm,-mil-dot

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DGWOptics and adjustments are pretty good in a Weaver Super Slam. Worth consideration. Have a couple of them and certainly wouldn't mind buying another. Totally agree, alot of scope for the money

the sightron SIII is the best there is for under $2k in my opinion. I have had some really high dollar glass and the sightron compares very favorably. LOTS of scope for the money.

chuck

I really like my Leupold VX-R 3-9x50 30mm tube. It is awesome for night hunting, with or without a light. I hunt full moon nights with no artificial light and the illumunated red dot is pin point and does not blur the picture. It helps because sometimes it is hard to see the crosshairs at night. 30mm tube with 50mm obj on low (3) power lets in a ton of light. I also have a CDS turret which is made for my specific ammo and geographic location, which has ranges out to 600 yards. I have yet to shoot it farther than 200, which it is set at dead on.

I also like th VXR have them in 3x9 and 4x12 with the TDS . I like the Illum Fire Dot in the fact that its size can be quickly changed.Ive found it helps me when trying to make the running shot.

Ditto to the above. Vortex viper Hs model and north are very rugged and function exceptionally well. Glass not as good as above, but some models have nice features like their turrets with "zero stop",of sorts. Uses deals can sure be a find at the $600 price range

A second on the elite 6500 in fact I just happen to have one in 2.5-16 x 42mildot I would let you own it for 550 shipped to your door great scope for the money

Back